JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Pawleys Island House Tour

February 28, 2011

I decided to take a break from design dump today to show you my house.
Yes, my house.
{For those of y'all who are loving design dump, don't worry, I have TONS more images to load up your desktop with.}  
But all these pictures of beautifully styled rooms keep giving me cold feet about my own space.  
Story of my life, really.
I never have quite the right furniture, or maybe I want more throw pillows or fall in love with a new pattern for curtains.
And then I get a little time and money and a decorating bug to tweak things.
But usually by then I decide I want roman shades instead of drapes and I get tired of moving pillows back and forth from the furniture to the floor.
And the whole things starts over in my head.
I feel like I've had so many "looks' that I love for a while and change them before I can take a picture.
I could fill an entire album with pictures of my rooms in various stages.
Yet I never do.
Anyway, this weekend while BabyGirl was sleeping I decided to swiffer.
Why does re-decorating always start with intentions to just dust?
And since my downstairs was clean I decided to take some pictures.
As is.
Missing curtain rods and all.

Of course, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it on my computer.  
I guess I'm my own biggest critic.

Okay, blah blah blah
Here it is!

My Living Room

Okay, who wants to play a little Before & After?
If you want to be even more convinced that a little style can be infused into anything just keep reading.
We added brand new hardwood floors, wainscoting & trim, fresh paint and built an entirely new fireplace mantle.
Also, removing the window screens and trimming the tree in the front yard went a long way to adding some much needed light into the space.

Please keep in mind the before pictures were taken during the walk-through before we moved in.
{ie, not my gnome}
Before
After

Before


After

Before (right side view)


After (right side view)

Before

After

And a little peek from the living room into the front hall

My Front Entrance Hall
Before
After

It's funny how much more I like my front hall with some practical stuff added in.
{I'm not even going to discuss the before picture}  
I'm obsessed with boots and scarves and having a designated spot inside the door is a must.
Yet I always seem to try and hide those things when people come over. 
I'm going to stop that.
I'm also thinking of adding some hooks underneath those prints for my diaper bag or BabyGirl's coat.
You can read more about the construction phases here.





Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

45 comments:

  1. Your house is gorgeous! I thought that first picture was from a magazine! Can't wait to see it in person one day! Now I guess I will be needing your help decorating too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, please come decorate my house for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JULIA!!!!!!!!! I LOVE your house!!!! So pretty and "posh"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where to begin...The soft aqua paint, he gorgeous white moldings, the zebra pillows, pink hunters...Love it all!!! The pics look like they are straight out of magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing transformation! I am just gob smacked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love!!!!! Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is absolutely amazing! Y'all did a fabulous job :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. pretty sure i'm OBSESSED. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl Friend your home is Gorgeous!!! I am drooling as we speak right now!!! seriously amazing sister!!!

    PS I cant wait to hopefully see it in person one day too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap, this is out of a magazine! Seriously gorgeous. You should have shown sooner. And your photography skills are fab. I suck at taking pics of my house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your house, and the transformation is amazing. Ya'll did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you did an absolutely wonderful job!
    your home looks amazing: stylish and also inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning! Wow, love those glass candlesticks! Where did you find? And that painting?! WOW!! Unbelievable!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was looking at this yesterday and saw your Hunter boots and thought howww cute are they under that table. and I was like I need some to do that with. and not joking, I found out a few hours later that I won a pair through a giveaway!! Just had to share! and I now know, thanks to your blog, they aren't going in a closet!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Straight out of a magazine, gorgeous! And I can't get that Lowcountry print out of my mind-who is the artist? I love your paint colors-what are they? Thank you for beautiful design....my escape from being a SAHM of my 9 month old-ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE LOVE LOVE your work...You are talented and artistic for sure...♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful!! I have been looking for a blue/aqua color for my family room. Would you mind sharing the names & brands of the paint you used?
    brandy1287@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning; you had consummate taste! Thank you for sharing, you've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a transformation! Great, absolutely great!!!! I particularly loved the prints. Where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful living room. Love that sofa!! Can you share where you got the rug. It's so pretty.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this room. What an inspiration for our new, not, 1963 home. I am going to try to copy it, I love it so much. Can you share what color the ceiling is?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your house is beautiful!! I love the blues and creams!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's totally gorgeous and you are a genius.

    Now...WHAT IS THAT THING hanging from the ceiling in the corner of the living room (in the Before pic)???? I must know. It will probably keep me up at night. lol

    Nice to "meet" another South Carolina blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is positively stunning!!! I love everything. You've inspired me to lighten up!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful transformation. Looks like a Coastal Living spread. Found you through Hooked on Houses and glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful job and so fresh looking for a coastal home. I have a home in the area and I hope you will help me whip it into shape when the time comes. You have a lot of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish my Pawleys decorator had half of your talent. Sometimes doing the same old, same old becomes too easy and the bustling business created in a coastal vacation area and working for out of town owners makes one lazy. You should hang out a shingle and start to work. You have shown in this transformation a lot of creativity and obviously a husband who enjoys the beauty you are bringing into the home. I really enjoy reading this post. When I redecorate, I will definitely try to contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the introduction to Currents. I only wish they had a website. Can't wait to check the store out on my next trip. Sorry for the double post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Simply lovely. What a transformation of dark and dreary to fresh and clean! Found you through Julia's blog. :-)
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wowzer!! Beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE this makeover!!! Nothing like a great before/after post :o)
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE YOUR STYLE! I think we like the same things and lean towards the same design....I did an an office makeover this past week that I think you might like so I posted the link for you, please keep your posts coming as you start your home tour!!
    xoxo Shelli at a la mode maven
    http://alamodemaven.blogspot.com/search/label/Home%20Tour

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi,
    Hooked On Houses blogged about your home - I had to come over and see it. You have done a outstanding job - I love the wall colors, the great mix ...it really works - feels very current and very livable. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just found your wonderful blog at Hooked on Houses and I'm so happy! Had to become a follower :O) Your room's transformation is phenomenal - wow!

    Come visit and say, "Hi!" sometime!
    http://SallyLeeByTheSea.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. We think this the bet before and after we have ever seen.Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  36. oh, I just love it. I'm so inspired by the mix of pattern & color!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Please share your paint colors -- they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey Julia,

    Your living room is absolutely amazing, and I'm now hooked on your blog! ;) I was even more thrilled because I live in Myrtle Beach, and we're building a house right now in Murrells Inlet. I used that Tidewater color too, and I loved seeing it in your beautiful room. Hope we can stay in touch, and thanks again for your inspiration!

    Take care,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow! I just can't say enough amazing things about this living room. The fact that you had the eye to add the chair rail and the mantel alone speaks volumes. Love the mix of fabrics and the color on the wall. Though...why you would EVER want to give up the gnome is beyond me! :) Great job in here!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing! Would you mind sharing who makes your fabulous living room couch? The shape is just so very polished.

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW, the before and after's are just increadible!!! Wonderful job!
    XO
    kristin

    ReplyDelete
  42. I really appreciate the fact that you've made your own blog and have actually posted your thoughts. I love your work and feel I can relate to what you've done. Most people can't even imagine having such talent. I hope that you know how lucky you are. :) Good luck to you in all your objectives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Julia your'e house is absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk