JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Decorating my mantle (one step at a time)

April 24, 2012


Is it really Tuesday again? 
So that means it's Color My World Challenge day and this week is fabric week.
 I seriously had about a billion things I wanted to do for this.
But I missed the boat on ordering any of the twenty or so pillows I found on etsy.
And my sewing machine is still broken so I was kind of at a loss for how to complete this challenge.
So I almost didn't do it.
And then I thought about y'all.
And I know not all of you can sew, or even own a sewing machine.
And you might not be able to justify an etsy bill to your husband.
So I figured I'd better think of something to post today that's quick and easy and cheap.
Then I remembered I had some snakeskin fabric left over from my coffee table project and some glass vases on the mantle that I hadn't quite figured out what to do with.
The wheels were a turnin' 

Voila!






python vases baby!


Just to refresh your brains, here's the before with empty vases
I just love that by inserting the fabric into the cylinders instead of wrapping the outside it keeps the sparkle and shine in tact.  The effect is still very subtle and isn't the least bit permanent.  I have a feeling this could be a fun seasonal change as well.
Next time I'm going to try using a larger piece of fabric so that it fills the entire vase and not just the bottom half.
Thoughts?


Don't forget to check out what all the other participants are doing with fabric this week!


Carmel- Our Fifth House
Shelley- Crazy Wonderful
Tiffany- Living Savvy
Vashti & Jamie- Like Me Some


Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

22 comments:

  1. I love anything with snakeskin. Great quick fix. and yep I can't sew nor do I own a sewing machine so I heart this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it girl! So crafty and thrifty. Way to think on your toes. Ummmm RHOA reunion? Amazeballs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good god that's smart. I always need good mantel ideas as that sucker is always stumpin me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, you're so stinking smart. What a great idea! These look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Fabric in those would have never crossed my mind, but it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your mantle looks amazing! i love it! and what else is awesome is that it matches your header. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooo... Momma likely! I actually love that only the bottom half is filled with fabric. Kinda like a color blocking or dipped look all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So... I did not know this was YOUR mantel! I have been drooling over how simple it was! I love the sunburst {as always} but the solid pink canvas and the empty vases were perfect! I do LOVE the touch of texture with the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I love this transformation. It gives the vases such depth and extra pizazz. Love it! And I love that mirror. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the python touches to your living spaces... first the table, now the mantle. That's a nice way to pull it all together!

    -Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have never thought to line the inside of a vase with fabric - I love how yours turned out - it gives your mantle such a unique look - I love your glamorous style - I find myself loving ALL of your home pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look incredible! Love them! I like them just they way they are- instant pop! How creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a very cool idea! Adds a lot of texture to your mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ummm...absolutley love this! In fact, I'm kind of in love with everything you've done in the challenge! I'm so glad that I found your blog through Jessamie. I'm now a hardcore Pawley's Island Posh stalker!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the snakeskin!!! Beautiful, Julia!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE! Your mantle looks amazing - genius idea withe the fabric in the vases!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a really neat idea. I never would have thought of doing something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how the python adds a little something to your mantle without screaming. Oh the possibilities are endless with those glass vessels!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! I love the subtle look yet striking at the same time. I have nothing for the challenge this week so way to put something together spur of the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea!!!!
    -linda,ny

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that you incorporated snakeskin into your mantle!! Looks FAB!!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk