JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Sick Babies

October 22, 2012

Just a quick pop in to let y'all know that I'm alive.  What started out as a bad week last week only got worse after I called for a time out.  Typical right.  First Matthew got it too, and then Tagg got worse.  So much worse, in fact, that I took him to the emergency room last Wednesday.  Poor little buddy was admitted and spent the next 48 hours trying to get better.  I'm not sure what kind of stomach bug it was but man was it brutal.  He was the sweetest little patient of course and flirted with all the nurses.  Poor Matthew was left at home to care for a still sick Wells.  There was some rouge throwing up by each of my kids as late as last night but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it had more to do with overfilling shrunken stomachs than round two of the nasties.  My house has still not recovered.  I've washed everything we own twice.  I also have much better idea of how to be better prepared next time when a medical crisis or any sort hits our house.
I am so thankful I saw this pin last week just in time to save me from hand washing every toy we own.  How genius, put it all in the dishwasher to disinfect toys after a virus!  This actually is going on rotation in my cleaning schedule because even without a nasty buy these toys need to be cleaned more often and thoroughly.
I also would like to thank my friend Jen for filling me in on the genius of Mr. Clean with Febreeze Freshness Disinfecting Bath Cleaner.  It smells a million times better than the other disinfectant products out there which is helpful in distinguishing your home from the sanitzed smell of the doctors office. And y'all know I love me some Mr. Clean.  Magic Erasers are about the depth I go into actual house cleaning.  This stuff will now be a regular cleaning caddy staple.
I also made a list of things to keep ready in case this happens again.  Just a few small additions to our pantry, like the unflavored Pedialyte (for mixing in with your child's drink of choice) and saltines.  As wells as a small stack of hand towels ready to roll.  You can find these so cheap at Walmart or Target.  Well worth the money for the smaller and more useful size when you're on you're laundry piles start stacking up.  Minus the iPad, the rest of these items are going straight into a tote bag to keep in my trunk.  While they might not be a true survival kit, all the items sure do come in handy when you have an unexpected hospital stay with your little ones.  Leggings, a long tank, cozy socks and a pashmina would have gone a long way for my overnight stay.  All cheap things you can buy an extra set of to keep in your car.  Matthew and Wells were too sick to bring me jammies so I slept in my jeans.  Not fun.  I'd also highly suggest your iPad and a book for getting through the imminent boredom.  An extra phone charger is also a must.  Deodorant and toothbrush go without explanation.  A toy for your sweet sick or injured babe.  You'd think this would be a duh for me.  Nope.  A snack.  I get grumpy when I'm hungry.  How about you?



Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

27 comments:

  1. Oh Julia! I just hate seeing your little man in a hospital bed :( Sorry to hear everyone got hit so hard. Praying you all get better quick, fast, and in a hurry! Great tips too. I'm NEVER prepared for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. I know how scary that can be. Hopefully Monday will bring you a fresh new clean healthy-er week. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad Tagg is back home. I have been thinking about yall and I hope everyone is on the mend and you don't catch it! This was a great post I am going to buy that Mr. Clean and wash all our toys- genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you know I'm glad y'all are home. I can't even imagine how awful that weekend was. He looks so sweet in his little hospital bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little guy! Poor you! I love the dishwasher disinfecting idea. I am disappointed in my germaphobe-self for not knowing that one. Hope y'all are better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking of y'all this weekend. I'm still at home with my sick little too. I know how misery loves company! Hope there's no more puke in your future. I am loading my dishwasher right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear everyone is on the mend! It's so scary when little ones are sick. I used to hate when mine were sick, I felt so helpless!
    Great ideas for the survival bag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear this!! Happy though he is doing much better now!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry!! I know the fear and exhaustion of having a little one in the hospital. I'm glad everyone is on the mend and headed in the right direction. You are a good mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying you all get better quickly! Nothing worse than a hospital stay with a sick baby. Hang in there!
    Hooper
    www.birdsofafeatherdesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww your poor babies!! So sorry to hear the troops are down and out. Wishing you all a speedy recovery and sanity for you and your hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That little picture of sick Tagg is just heartbreaking. Poor fella! Wishing all of you a speedy recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julia, I found your blog a few months ago and enjoy seeing all your projects, your cute family, and great pictures. Reading this, I just wanted you to know I'm so sorry about your family being so sick. And that poor precious baby with his arm in a bandage from what I'm assuming was a drip! That has got to have been awful, being at the hospital with a sick baby alone, but I'm thankful it has turned out well for y'all. Thanks for the tips on cleaning products, too. I didn't have the stomach virus, but I was sick with a respiratory infection all summer. I have to be careful with scented cleaners, but now that I'm better, I might have to give that Mr. Clean a whirl. I love Magic Erasers, too. They clean things you never dreamed they could clean! Greatest thing EVUH.

    Feel better...

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad that sweet boy is home!!! Now going to toss all of our toys in the dishwasher!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing worst than having the little ones sick, hope they're getting better, quickly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear this, I know things will get better. :( Lots of love from my house hold. On the other hand now, that you've tested the dishwasher toy theory. I'm inspired to get that done today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julia, I sure hope your house is on the mend and stays well. Im so sorry about your babies, I went through that when mine were little. I slept in the crib in the hospital when my youngest had croup so bad. Youre a good mom and love your survival guide. Not a bad idea for a winter travel bag to keep in the car, too.
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I SWEAR by unflavored pedialyte! Now only if they would make unflavored infant tylenol. . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I hope you're all on the mend now! So sad to see those little sweet faces in pain. Great tips on the packing list and using the dishwasher. I never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry you precious angel is sick. It's the worst for you and the baby. Hope he is on the mend soon! GREAT tip on the toys.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wheeeew! You werent kidding when you said you guys had the bug!!!! Hope this week is treating you better!!! Love the dishwasher idea! brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that idea about throwing all the toys in the dishwasher! So clever and definitely one that I will be using when our little man is under the weather.

    Hope you guys are having a better week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am about to become a Mum for the first time (1 more week) and love all the advice you post on your blog. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Thinking of your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These bugs must be circling the US from kiddo to kiddo this time of year. My 20-month old was sent home along with 6 of her little classmates from day school today. We made a trip to the ER because she looked awful and would not stop crying. My clients in California also had several sick babes today. Not fun!

    I hope your family is on the mend and will be well very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry you have been going through this! I am glad your family is on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. so sorry! Hope your little ones feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh girl, hang in there!!! I know all too well how it feels when you're teeny boy is in the hospital, and it stinks. Try to get rest and take care of you too. I'll be saying prayers for all of you and sending hugs and well wishes for quick recoveries!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk