November 2, 2012

Shared Room

So long story short, Tagg is lonely.  He's always been happiest when he's right in the middle of things and doesn't like to be left alone.  He feels left out.  And he got really used to sleeping next to me during the week he was sick and in the hospital and now he's not having it alone.  I'm not interested in co-sleeping with my children.  That's fine, just not for my husband and me.  So my brain has been stretching it's limits on how to cure this and the best idea I've come up with is to put him in Wells' room.  I'm probably crazy.  No, just sleep deprived.  And he's sleeping through the night again, for those who are curious.  But he wakes up sad and crying and that is so not him.  Once I pick him up he just snuggles into me and I know he just didn't like being alone.  I know it's a clingy phase that all babies go through and I'm happy to oblige all day long.  But I can't snuggle him all night every night even if I want to do it.  Sleep (lack of) is my biggest hurdle as a mother.  Tagg is one hundred percent obsessed with Wells and I really think a shared room could solve our problems.
I'm sure we'll probably keep everyone in their own rooms.  But it got me thinking.  Do people ever let their children share a room when it's a boy and a girl rather than same sex?  My sister and I shared a room growing up and my brother had his own room.  That's more typical I think.  I'll be honest, my sister and I hated sharing a room.  We just had different ideas on bed time and wake times and too much togetherness.  I adore my sister, it was just logistics of our personalities and sleep patterns that made it suck growing up.  But I know others who loved the closeness and shared secrets.
I can totally picture my kids climbing into each other's room when they're old enough anyway so why not just designate one room for sleeping and one room for playing.  Like in the olden days when all the children grew up in the nursery (peter pan, mary poppins).

What's the age limit you would stop this?  Puberty right?  Clearly.  And I noticed there was nothing to help me out on pinterest so I created my own version of what a boy/girl shared room might look like.  It's pretty much the direction Wells' room is already taking with a more masculine touch added for Tagg.  Although there are cribs and not beds in our current situation.

Did you share a room growing up?  Do your kids share now?  Thoughts?

22 comments:

  1. personally i think that is genius!!! Yes I shared a room with my brother growing and loved it. And that room design is simply the most beautiful room ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend that put her boy and girl in a shared room after she had her 3rd baby. They were 5 and 2 at the time, maybe.She kept this arrangement for a few years until they added on to their house. The room was very gender neutral and it worked really well for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it is a very sweet idea! give it a whirl and see how it goes... beds aren't that hard to move, right?
    my boys started sharing a room after we moved and it is PRECIOUS. we often find them asleep together in the same bed when we check on them late at night. it kind of makes my heart explode with mommy love. good luck, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea. My sister and I shared a room growing up and we had a blast. My girls now share a room and they love it. The boy girl thing would be a bit of a challenge when they are older, but at this age, I think they'd love it. And love your board btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a fine idea, I really do! Since they are so young right now, I don't think you have to really worry about the opposite sex thing. I love the ideas you have for decorating the room as well. I say that as long as neither child minds it, it's totally okay.

    Xo-L
    simplylowcountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've got four kids, twin boys (10), another boy (6) and a girl (3). The twins share one room and the 6 yr old boy and 3 yr old girl share the other. The wall is mint green with a deep purple rug and he picked really bright polka-dotted bedding so her sheets are pink and his are purple. It will work for awhile, but we're planning an addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a boy and a girl ages 3 and 4 and they shared a room for about a year (it was their choice). Then their sleeping schedules changed a little (one sleeps in a little later and the other wakes up at the crack of dawn) so my Wells said she wanted to move back into her own bed. I say if it makes them happy and everybody gets sleep then go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a good idea. My five year old boy doesn't like sleeping in his room so most of the time, he ends up sleeping with his big sister.
    Great moodboard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My siblings and I are: Girl, Girl, Boy and I'm the middle girl.

    We lived in a 3 bedroom house so I, as the middle child, had to share a room with someone.

    My parents tried to make me share with my older sis, but, like you, we did not get along.

    So I chose to share with my younger brother. We did great! We grew up super close and were each other's best friends for the longest time - even stayed close in college!

    I'd say diff-gender kids can share a room for as long as they want. I'm sure their own hormones or puberty will push them to want to get some space. If they don't have to share a room, you can let them chose when to separate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son (6) and my daughter (4) have been sharing a room for about 2 yrs. They love it. At some point i guess i'll have to break them up, but I'm dreading that day. Also, their baby bro is left out which is kinda sad.
    Do whatever it takes to get sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids shared a room until they were 8 and 5 (older girl, younger boy). Then, when we added on, they wanted a window between the two rooms (now, as teenagers, we laugh about it because that would be such a source of drama and annoyance). It was great for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's a great idea. And definitely while they are still young. I have two older brothers and I never shared rooms with them but I practically lived in their rooms so it totally makes sense to do a shared room. Love the look you came up with..it has nods to the girly and boy sides but is pretty neutral!

    xo

    The Now Style Book

    ReplyDelete
  13. i shared a room with my brother since we are about year apart. we shared until he started school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder about this. I mean, it seems to work for people. I just can't get over the image of them waking eachother up constantly?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww love the design you came up with! I slept with my parents for a really long time because I was one of those lonely kids lol. I think it's a great solution, whatever works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter (3) and son (1) share a room now...and they have since he was 6 months old. It has its challenges, but we live in NYC so we don't have a choice. :) Space is constantly an issue here! We turned a gender neutral nursery into a gender neutral shared room pretty easily (we never found out the sex of either child). You would laugh if you saw the size of their "sleeping nook." But it works. In fact, I think they really like it now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a mother with no sleep is a bigger "no-no" than a sister and brother sharing a room. Could you give it a try for bit?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Freaking LOVE this for a shared room!!! My sister and I didn't share a room, so I've got no clue what it would be like. But, I have several friends who have children (girl, girl) that have shared rooms and they say the kids LOVE it. I too couldn't do co-sleeping, it just wasn't for us. For sleep sake, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try putting them in the same room for a while and see what happens. They might just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great design! I say go for it, you can always change it later if it doesn't work. We are all so blessed to have these options. I'd be willing to bet the majority of children in the world don't have the option of having their own rooms AND have sometimes entire families sharing one bedroom, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually love the idea. Design-wise, it's a cinch. Your board is fabulous and I love gender neutral spaces. Logistically, I'd be worried that they'd wake each other up... what's worse than one crying little one? Two. But if I were you, I would definitely give it a try, especially since your two sound so close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adam and I shared a room; we had bunk beds! Im pretty sure my barbies were soldiers in a few GI Joe battles! Tagg is going thru a phase; Shepard did the samething for a couple of weeks- hang in there mama and keep him in his own room

    ReplyDelete
  22. I shared a room with my sister for a long time and same thing my brother had his own room. I think Matt and his sister shared a room for while when they were young. I think there is nothing wrong with it til puberty or when things get akward. Love that Tagg likes to have company all the time:)

    ReplyDelete

Hey Loves, let's chat!