February 27, 2013

One Room Challenge Week Four

Okay my sweets, it's Wednesday so we all know what that means; One Room Challenge day.  Here we are at week four and I'm starting to get a feel for where this room is headed.  I've got a major player ordered and en route that's going to take this room to new levels.  I can't wait to share it with you.  
My mom pretty much saved the day and offered up two marble top tables for my use.  I can keep them indefinitely but I have to sign a no paint waiver because they're family pieces.
I thought about using them as bedside tables but they're completely mismatched in function and proportion.  One is a chest of drawers most exactly like what I've been seeking out.  The other is a dainty little table with beautiful carved woodworked legs.  That sweet little feminine table tucked perfectly into our little entry corner and I think that's where she's going to stay.
It's the first thing I see when I walk in my room and the perfect spot to store lots of trinkets and things that get kicked off my bedside table.

 Let's get back to the challenge part of this challenge, despite my newly pilfered family pieces, I'm still stuck in the nightstand conundrum.  After much debate, I've decided to scrap the table skirt route altogether.  We've just got too much fabric going on in here to add in something else.  I've been keeping tabs on craigslist and visited a few local spots and even got some locals in on the hunt (thanks Alyson) but just didn't find anything I liked.

Several of y'all suggested painting the existing tables a fun color.  Y'all know I can rock a can of spray paint with the best of them so that seems like the first obvious route.  I worked up some examples to show you my top three.  

Emerald, coral, or charcoal gray.

What do you think?  Stick with the original plan of sourcing wooden chests or do you like the fun pop of color this option offers?  If I go with the painted option, I'd have to use my original matching nightstands because they've been painted before and are currently white.  The two new tables with the marble tops can't be painted.

 My talented mom was also gracious enough to sew up some fabulous pillows for me.  She's knocked out one and working on the second as we speak.  So I've got two new 20x20 throw pillows in a gorgeous Portobella Vase fabric that work perfectly with my Kelly Wearstler Imperial Trellis pillow.  She used the same fabric for cording and solid coral canvas on the backs.  I'm really excited to get them both on the bed soon!
 Of course now I'm re-thinking my all-white bedding plan.  i think I'm going to need just a hint of color somewhere else on this biscuit.

You can view the final results of my first One Room Challenge here
And if you're new here, click on the links below to get all caught up.


And as always, be sure to check out the other lovelies participating in this series.  I promise they don't disappoint.

41 comments:

  1. Definitely the coral nightstands! Love the color in the room! What beautiful tables from your mom!! Whohooooo that is awesome. Can't wait to meet your major player! Good luck this week.
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are really coming together! I vote not to paint the night stands I think you might get tired of it. Keep looking for the perfect piece and in the meantime the natural wood doesn't bother me. Wish my mom could sew pillows, those rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! I was going to say green or gray on the nightstands but I like Natalie's suggestion to leave them the natural wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pop of the coral night stands! We just painted a table coral/slightly red for the nursery and I'm loving it. The pillows are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, a no paint contract. I don't know if I could sign that. I really like the green tables. Hope your stuff arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't. But desperate times call for desperate measures :)

      Delete
  6. Okay ... I am a fan of the coral ... especially with the pillows! Everything I got from my mom I wanted to paint. I think she was horrified she gave birth to me!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like the coral!! It's fun and not forever.....cause you can always change the color on those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have coral nightstands in our bedroom with white bedding and LOVE them, I did try for some emerald green but it just wasn't doing it for me. I love the first two options, hard decision. The table vignette is gorgeous, can't wait until next week to see what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is my two cents... I like the green tables but I would go with the family piece and have mismatched nightstands, provided you can find another that you like. I would get matching lamps though.
    The pillows look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I like the gray then the green option...can't wait to see it all done! Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mom is a rockstar - bringing in marble tables, sewing up your pillows. What the hell are you doing over there? ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that same contract on a few pieces I've gotten from my parents too. (the girls' beds and the mantel). I like the green bedside tables, but I'm with Kerry, I'd go with the mismatched nightstands and matching lamps. The wood and marble look devine against your wall color and look great with your pillows. The white in your bedding also would pick up the white in the marble. Loving it mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my gosh! I am in love with those marble top tables...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the coral! I would also love if my mom would sew me some pillows! You lucky girl! It's looking great!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh, I saw your FB status last night and was waiting to see your post this morning! Looks great…love the pillows!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mom rocks! Marble?! Lucky. It's hard to choose a paint colour they're all great, but I think the coral speaks to me the most. Good luck this week. Excited to see what you ordered:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those new tables are amazing!!!! I like the coral of the paint choices but do like the idea of natural wood too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. coral! all the way! against that gray, it will be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE your pillow fabric ~ coral tables would look amazing against that dark wall. You're going to owe your mama big-time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the green tables but the coral ones pop up way better. Though I think I'll lean towards the marble ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My vote is the emerald green...maybe a shade that is a tad brighter though so they stand out more. Or even do them in shiny lacquer. I think the coral will be too matchy matchy with the pillows. Natural wood could also be really pretty, since you have the painted dresser on the right wall, and I think it always adds warmth to a room.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marble would be amazing, and I like the idea of non-matching night stands with matching lamps. Good luck - I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these options, Julia!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am loving the emerald green. The pink is too matchy matchy and the grey blends in with the wall.

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  24. That fabric is just beautiful- love it and love that your mom made the pillows for you so sweet!

    Hard choice about the side tables, I think I like white best, and yes I know that wasent even a choice. I'm thinking white with a colorful pull.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thought: Bo's mom has a booth at the West End Antique Mall in Richmond. I've been to visit before and instantly fell in love with so much! I'm sure there are perfect sidetables there- and they are always willing to bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first place I went on my search. Email her booth number or name. I'm horrible at haggling. I even get nervous with BOGO sales ;)

      Delete
  26. Loving the coral side tables!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Coral tables :)
    Your mom is crazy talented. You have been hiding her sweet talents. Maybe she could stitch some coral ribbon onto your duvet for a pop of color? Straight lines, a u shape, a box or greek key ? Possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I vote to not paint the night stands. I kind of like the idea of keeping the color on the bed. Those pillows looks so great together. I would love to have some mixed prints on my bed!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the pillow your mom made--she is so talented! Also really digging the Coral pop, i think it's fun and refreshing!~Brett

    ReplyDelete
  30. Girl...I can't even make decisions for myself....but I am thinking I love the coral ones. That fabric is one of my favorites and looks good with the KW. Yay for Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. ohhhh i am loving the coral or the gray ones. however, i feel like i need to know whats going on with the headboard situation before i cast a final vote. have you considered getting a headboard covered in that wonderful portabello vase fabric from the pillow. it would look so chic!

    xo, julia
    Tartan & Sequins

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE the coral! It's gorgeous against the wall paint and looks fantastic with the pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  33. SUCH A DARLING MOM! So pretty where this is going.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I know, I know...this wasn't one of the presented options...but what about painting the existing bedside tables one of the colors you could pull from the Portobello Vase? The same citrine as the KWID or the aqua color? Both would be delicious against your gray walls and still offer a nice splash of color that you're looking for. I do like the coral option you've shown, though, just not as well.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those family pieces are amazing!!! If you went with the option of painting the existing, the green looks cool. But after seeing the marble topped chest peeking out in one of the photos, my vote would be to keep on hunting for another wood piece to go with it. It just looks so rich and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just noticed Target has come out with a coral chambray duvet set...you should check it out...it could work with what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your mom is a rock star! I love your little entry table and styling! The pillows are going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!