JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Meal Planning Made Simple: Week Seven

March 11, 2013



When I agreed to take on the role of main chef in our house I brought some rules along with me.  They were enacted purely to give me room to grow in an area I was unfamiliar with and intimidated by.  Fearful is probably a better description.  I had never cooked before and married a hobby chef.  No joke, Matthew is really talented

BEHIND THE SCENES

Some of you have asked if I have stuck with my meal plan for every single dinner since I started this journey.  The answer is a loud and bold NO WAY!  I'm not being deceitful here, or at least that wasn't my intent.  Some weeks we go out of town and aren't home on a Friday or Monday.  Other weeks Matthew works late or is traveling.  Some times we get lucky and my parents watch the kids so we can sneak out for date night.  Some nights we're tired or don't feel like cleaning up the kitchen so we order take out still.  Yes, this happens.  But you see I only provide five meals a week on my plan and obviously we eat seven nights a week.  So typically each of the five meals I planned for do get consumed each week they just float around a bit more. 

So why not just post two meals some weeks and seven on other weeks?  Because I like consistency and I know some of y'all might like to grab a week (even if it's an old post) and follow it too.  Some weeks I might do the same thing and recycle a week's menu that we really liked.  Also this forces me to seek out new recipes and not just cook the same old Chicken Broccoli Casserole.

Have you made anything that's been altered or got a veto?  Yes!  The goat cheese orzo from week one wasn't that good.  I love cheese but the taste was too strong.  I've tweaked a few others but pretty much stick to the recipes.  I'm not good at straying too far from the line yet.
 
I also have a few rules I enacted.

1. No special requests.  I get to pick the menu.  Period.

2. We both get veto power.  If Matthew doesn't like something or suggests a change I listen.  I'm not a tyrant.

3.  The kids don't get a vote.  Period.  We offer Wells and Tagg their own bowls (as allergy requirements allow) or bites of anything we eat but they're never required to try anything.  At this age, waiting until 6:00 or later to eat isn't appropriate for them.  We want them to learn to listen to their tummies and eat when and what they like.  Of course, I provide those choices or else Wells would eat nothing but cheese sticks and donuts.

4.  I'm only making things that Matthew hasn't already mastered.  For example, he makes amazing shrimp and grits so on that night, he has to cook them.  I'm not interested in a competition or comparison.  Not yet anyway.

5.  I reserve the right to change my mind.  I grocery shop on Monday morning so all the ingredients are available all week long and I get to decide what I'm making each night.  So if I'm not feeling enchiladas on the designated night, I might make tacos instead.  Or maybe I'll just switch meals altogether and make BBQ Chicken Pizza on Monday instead of Friday.

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

21 comments:

  1. Good for you! Having a lot of different opinions about the menu is hard. I am looking forward to,in a few months, only having 4 opinions to deal with and not having to make giant vats of food every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's going well! Let me know how your taquitos turn out. I made some two weeks ago and they were a horrible FLOP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. proud of you for your cooking skills my dear! I am the same way we kind of plan as we go, each day. Had BBQ chicken last night, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you think about the honey mustard pretzel chicken? We made it last night and were not loving it. Ours also looked nothing like the picture from the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! I sent you an email with in depth detail of how I make it. This is one of our favorites and we've made it several times. Are you making your own honey mustard? Maybe adjust the taste, add more honey. Also, I let the chicken soak in the honey mustard for at least 15-20 minutes before I coat it in the pretzels crumbs. I also cook them on a cooling rack and drizzle the leftover honey mustard on top and then dump more pretzels crumbs on top of that before baking. I plan to pound the chicken out next time because it's hard to get the middle cooked on thick pieces of chicken. I'll report back on that. I say try again, it really was super easy and yummy for us. But I totally get that everyone has different taste :)

      Delete
  5. You may not think yourself a chef, but you can pick a mean menu girlfriend. I think you are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This menu sounds so good! I'm inviting myself over for dinner. I've not been making dinner at all lately since it's just me and the kids, and I'm getting way tired of canned soup or cereal. Pretty sure Izzy will never tire of her grilled cheese or nuggets though so we're good there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to plan for the week as well! So many tasty ideas here! That pizza looks insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is. We always use rotisserie chicken and sweet baby ray's original barbecue sauce. I make it once a week.

      Delete
  8. Here's an easy one-boston butt pork roast in the crock pot, pour bbq sauce over top and cook on low all day, shred and do what you want with it-quesadillas, etc.! Also google the "Trail of Crumbs" couscous salad-I make it all spring/summer and add chicken to make it a meal. I struggle with the whole "making my kid try it or not" thing! He's almost 3 and very picky and I generally feed him before us because he's hungry for dinner at 5-5:30 and we don't eat until usually 6 if the hubs isn't traveling. He eats very healthy because like you said, I pick what he eats. But I can't just cook us dinner and have him eat what he eats-he isn't big on "hot meals"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your meal plans! I've been trying to do a better job cooking for my husband, and it's been slow going. I actually find a lot of inspiration from your menus, so thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love these posts because you always give me great ideas for meals for the week (seriously!) I'm going to make that pesto pasta but I'm going to replace the green beans with edamame (I like to tweak recipes!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK 1) IMA come thru the computer and kill that pizza! and 2) "I get to pick the menu, period." AMEN LADY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! I do meal planning as well, but have fallen off the wagon and reverted back to my tried and true recipes in the last few weeks. I still cook every night however, that is a non-negotiable. We may be eating at 10pm, but we're doing it together :)
    Now I can use your recipes to get back on track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl, you need to share some of your recipes too. I'm sure they're amazing. At least the pictures of them are sure to be good :)

      Delete
  13. Your menus always look so amazing. One week soon will you feature the 'best of' ? Then I can take your faves and try them!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goat cheese and pesto...say no more. I'll bring the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for including my taquitos! I don't know if you're talking about my Pretzel chicken in the comments above but I've revamped the recipe. The honey mustard is the same but I changed the breading method. I think it's a lot better now as some people were having issues with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That goat cheese and pesto sounds amazing! It sounds like you're doing well with the cooking! I'm trying my hardest to do meal planning but I need to lay down some rules- my husband is always like ugh I don't want that tonight I want something else.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk