JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Five Random Facts + Survey Winner

April 4, 2013

Five Things You Don't Know About Me

_______________________________________________________________________________

1.  Coffee for Breakfast
I only drink coffee in the morning and I take it black with just a little spoon full of sugar.  I used to drink it from my favorite Juliska mug until I had an unfortunate run-in when Wells was learning to crawl so now I drink out of a Tervis Tumbler with a lid.  I drink at least two of those by 9:30am.  I usually don't start getting hungry until about 11 or 12 and by then breakfast is the farthest thing from my mind.  At Starbucks I drink a grande skinny vanilla latte with whip.  When I go to brunch I always order a spinach, feta and tomato omelet.  I never drink coffee in the afternoons or at night unless they have cappuccino available when I'm at a restaurant or reception.

2.  I don't work out.
Seriously.  I'm not promoting this.  I have a major aversion to working out.  I would rather skip a bowl of ice cream and order salads at lunch than have to run a mile.  My best friend in Charleston made me join the gym (remember Mt. Pleasant Aerobics and Fitness?) and she forced me to go work out and walk-the bridge a few times a week with her and my roommate.  I don't think I worked out a single time while I lived in Pawleys.  I joined Gold's Gym when I first moved to Richmond and went once during my one year membership.  I wish had a walking buddy here, I'm all about a nice long walk.  I wear work-out clothes at least three times a week to take the kids to the park and run errands.  There are so many lululemon moms here I think I can dress the part and slide right in.  I'm much too lazy and I enjoy lounging around way too much to change.

3.  More Kids
I'm starting to second guess the plans we've made for our family.  Are more kids in our future?  I've always only ever wanted two kids.  Two Hands = Two Kids.  I've even taken some long-term precautions to make sure we stay at that number until my husband is ready to make a more permanent solution for our family planning.  But lately we've sorta kinda been talking about the possibility of talking about having a third.  My husband is the one who brought it up first.  He's decided he wants three kids.  I was one of three and I've never been a fan of uneven numbers and all that goes with that.  One kid is almost always minus a parent and always the odd man out.  You even need a different larger kind of car.  And do you stop there or go for four?  And what happens when that last and final child is twins?  Yikes.  That sounds both exhausting and expensive.  All of it.  Not just the twins part.  I know it's not entirely up to us but within the parameters that we have control over how do you decide the right size for your family?  What happens when God has other plans?  I haven't had any trouble getting pregnant before and we've been blessed with healthy pregnancies and strong babies but I know that's not always the case.  I've had two c-sections, the first of which left a pretty bad scar on my uterus which poses an extra threat with each subsequent pregnancy.  If we do decide to move forward on this, when would be the right time?  Wells and Tagg are 17 months apart so if we wait until we catch our breathe this third child will be starting out a step behind them.  We have a perfect family right now.  How do I get over the worry that I'm tempting fate?  Oh, and how do we pay for so many kids to go to college? 

4.  I'm obsessed with expensive face lotion
I probably spend more money on lotions and potions for my face each year than on my clothes.  I'm not even kidding.  I have sensitive skin and freckles and sun damage and I started really taking care of it back in my early twenties.  I've got a few tried and true favorites but am always on the lookout for something new and improved.  I'm a total sucker for clean and sleek packaging and a hefty price tag.  I feel like if it's going to work miracles it's not going to come from CVS.  I'm a beauty counter's dream.  I haven't left the house without sunscreen on in at least seven years.  Most days I use serum and primer in addition to tinted moisturizer.  I'm a big fan of the less is more look but not a bare face.  Even with my faux-pilates clothes I wear tinted moisturizer, blush, highlighter, mascara and lip-gloss on top of my skin care regime.  But I hate to wash my face.  I can't remember the last time I actually used soap and water on my face when I wasn't in the shower.  I prefer face wipes to get my face clean and wipe off the makeup.  I use a warm washcloth with no soap in the shower to scrub my face.

5.  Cheese Obsession
I'd take a cheese tray over a dessert cart any day.  My husband and kids demand a steady flow of chocolate and sugar in our house at all times and with the exception of Oreos I could leave it alone.  But a well stocked cheese drawer could get emptied out in an afternoon.  Especially if there was some fresh baguette to spread it on and wine to help wash it down.  I've started to order the cheese plate as an appetizer when I go out to eat even though Matthew doesn't touch it.  My favorite meals all involve cheese.  Dips, spreads, slices, and sauce; I'll take it anyway I can get it.  Matthew makes a heavenly blue cheese sauce that I spoon up like it's soup.  No really.  I'm praying Wells isn't allergic to dairy because if our whole house has to go dairy free I'm not sure what I'll do. 

_______________________________________________________________________

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Almost six hundred of you took the time to thoughtfully answer my questions and take my blog survey.  I'm blown away by this.  You're incredible.  I learned so much about y'all.  You are such smart and interesting women and I'm inspired by all that you do.

  Full disclosure, I had to actually pay to get the full results because the site I used for the survey only gives you the first 100 answers for free and I had no clue I'd surpass that mark.  But it was worth it to read your stories, even just snippets.  It made me want to do this again soon, with more unique questions.  It's obvious from the much smaller group that came back to comment that most of y'all like to remain anonymous readers from afar.
That's where I'll start my next round of questioning I think!

But I promised y'all two things in exchange for your five minutes.  I hope you liked the five random things about me.
And second, the winner of the $25.00 Starbucks Gift Card is Virginia.  Send me and email with your contact information so I can mail it to you please.

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

35 comments:

  1. I liked the 5 random things. One note about college: if you plan to stay in Virginia, I highly recommend starting the pre-paid college tuition plan for each of your kids. Once it is paid for, their tuition at any Virginia college will be pre-paid no matter how much inflation changes the cost of college between now and then. A great way for grandparents to help out too. We did it, and it has been such a blessing to not worry about tuition as each child heads off to college. And you aren't limiting your child's college choices since VA has a plethora of excellent colleges to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun to get to know you better. I have an aversion to exercising as well! Whatever it is you are doing, it is working .. enjoy that family you have as it is and as it changes!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love it if you would do a post on your face potions and makeup, you have beautiful skin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I used to work out at Mt. Pleasant Aerobics and Fitness and teach a Dance & Sculpt class there! LOL. www.styleoyster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought 2 kiddos were it for us too...but we have our third on the way and due in October. At first it was frightening but now I am so excited and to be honest I feel complete. My daughter and son are 21 months apart and now my son who is my youngest now will be close to 3 by the time the baby gets here. I am hoping it will be a much easier transition because both of my kiddos will be in nursery school 3 mornings a week! Whatever you decide will be right for you and won't change the fact that you are an amazing mama to your babies! Thanks for the good reads every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these 5 random things. I feel like we are sitting down chatting over coffee, this is sooo nice. More kids? I have no idea what to say other than you'll know when the time is right, or if it's a happy accident you'd be fine with that! Love ya kiddo.
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love learning more about other bloggers -- thanks for sharing this! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am beginning to feel the same way about a third. Crazy since there is video of me saying two and through! Life changes so we will see. E definitely needs to be older though or I need some super strong meds. Exercise is not fun for me either but it has become a necessity for sanity and to fit in my clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black coffee? Whoa, you go girl. That's all I want to comment about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh get down here and let's have a cheese plate. I agree with you 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love this and you:) we have a lot in common. I love a cheese tray would rather than a meal most times. Would much rather eat healthy than exercise. Drink my coffee totally black. However I go cheap on face lotion Cetaphil all the way. Please have another kid you make such cute babies and you are such a good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay I am going to love to hate you because you are so skinny and don't workout!! I would much rather dominate a cheeseburger and run my ass off ha! More babies??? Girl do it...I know they would be beautiful just like mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our third baby is the easiest child, since day one. Our morning routine is the same coffee , more coffee and food at lunch. I could walk forever but can't /won't workout. My best friend and I use to go to the gym but when we stopped we were way worse than when we started? No thank you. I use to work in a gourmet cheese & wine shop:))))

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have 5 kids, and I only wanted one after my first, severe post partum and all that. But God totally changed my heart and we started slowly having conversations about more. Our first is 4 years older than our second, then 4 years between our second and adopted twins, and then the last came 1 week after the twins came home. He was a surprise. Point is, God may totally change your heart and that's what makes your family perfect. As far as college, we have always said that even when we had one we wouldn't pay for all of it. Now we simply can't, and that's okay. Both hubby and I paid our way through and it was just fine. And our kids will be too. And so will yours if you can't cover it all. Good luck. Regardless of what you choose, it's still exciting to think about all the possibilities for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally relate to the workout situation. All the moms go to the gym or for a long run during preschool hours and I am like "But that my Target time!".
    I felt the same way about having just two kids when mine were little. I think it is most difficult when they are really little and again when they are teens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate to work out too. I just can't make myself like it. I've tried all the tricks. I gained 4 lbs on vacation so I need to do something. I'm pretty sure my 4 lbs came from all the cheese, bread, and crackers I consumed in the club lounge. I'm a product junkie. Don't even get me started on what all I put on my face and how many "potions" I have.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My hubs brought up a possible #3 last night. The thought of it right now is exhausting but it has gotten me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these!
    I am totally obsessed with cheese too. We've taken to ordering the cheese plate as our first course when we have date night and I could just eat that and more cheese for dinner. Yum! One of our favorite restaurants actually has their first course cheese plate on their dessert menu, so you're clearly not alone!

    I'm not a big fan of gym working out either. It's just so, bleck. I love going on long walks - especially now that the weather's nice. I also bought a Pure Barre dvd set and the equipment so I can do it at home. Much cheaper than going to the studio!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have four kids- which when they are little is not a big deal, but four teens? Shoot me. Also, not a fan of working out, but I stay so busy with painting that I find I don't really need to. Coffee. Love. But like you, only in the morning. Face cream- should, but I really am not religious about it. Fav food is salads, but I am a sucker for carbs- bread!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to know what your favorite face solutions are so far?! Loved learning more about you. I am also one of 3....I say the more the merrier!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! I so wish I lived in Richmond so we could be friends in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love this, buddy! i am trying to learn to drink my coffee black on this diet. its really hard (for me). i especially hate artificial sweetners :/

    i am also a sucker for face creams. nothing makes me feel better than the makeup counters. i always buy stuff at CVS when waiting for my RXs and then hate it. So i should just stop all together and not even worry about spending more on my creams. im with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so great to learn more about you! I'm with you on the "chip & dips, breads & spreads," I could LIVE off them!!! As a twin and one of 4 kids... I say there's nothing wrong with going for another baby :) Twins rock, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look fantastic for someone that doesn't work out! I hate you! ;)
    If you have the slightest desire to add to the family, I say go for it! Now that mine are 18 and 16 I am really regretting that we didn't have four like I had wanted! And, it's too late to make that happen now. :(
    Loved reading your random facts!

    ReplyDelete
  25. you look amazing for not working out haha! I share your affection for cheese plates and expensive face lotion!

    ReplyDelete
  26. in addition to several more, the above facts are why I love you Hard.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So which are those tried and loved favorite face lotions? spill it out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your facts! I now only drink coffee (or anything for that matter!) from a Tervis with a lid too (for the same reason as you!)-Mugs, 24 oz, 16 oz, water bottle, you name it, we have it! I am a Cetaphil girl-tried all the expensive stuff and it works the best for me, and I don't wash my face at night! I found this St Ives face cream on Pinterest that Dr Oz likes, and it's seriously so awesome, $4 for a huge tub at Wally World and I slather it on! I don't like to work out either-just like to walk with my jogger stroller. And I'd take salty over sweet anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, I'd like to know your favorite facial cream too! And I am hot and cold on exercise - mostly cold lately : (

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm obsessed with cheese as well. Any and all types. Unfortunately I like sweets just as much. Sorry thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree with Gabby...if you are the ultimate face cream connoisseur, share all your secrets with us please :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. CHEESE! My favorite food!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Skinlastin is very effective, I used it and got benefit

    ReplyDelete
  34. Totally agree with you on the cheese thing! Have you tried the ruffle cheese at Wegmans? AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk