JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

New House: Dining Room Update, Table and Chairs

July 22, 2013

Poor Matt has literally been slaving away for three solid days now trying to remove the wallpaper in our dining room.  It's awful.  Layer after layer that was not properly installed on paper.  Just glue straight on sheet rock.  

I, on the other hand, happened to make some major progress on the design front.  Major.  I snagged the most beautiful dining table and chairs off craigslist.  The table has two leaf inserts and 8 upholstered cane back chairs.  Two hostess chairs, and six regular chairs.  It's the most beautiful wood tone and the white upholstery is in really great shape.  Pinch me.  I never find things like this in my price range.  They are made by Ethan Allen, so while not antique, I still know the quality is outstanding.  Did I mention I found them on craigslist.  I've been looking for over two years.  I think that's the key, persistence and patience.  I'm so in love.  

They all got shoved into the back of the yukon and immediately into our living room because I couldn't bear to not look at them right away.  I can't wait for Matt to finish up painting the walls, and trim and ceiling, in the dining room so I can move these beauties to their new home.

I know I said this room was going to be informal and used everyday, but I might have to rethink my plans.  It's like how you build your whole wedding around the dress.  This is the dress.




Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

31 comments:

  1. High five on the craigslist score! I adore that cane back. It's such a lovely set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a major score. Those chairs are amazing!!
    I am sorry about the wallpaper nightmare. We had the same thing in a bathroom at the old house and it was a dark spot in our marriage. I don't think Matt and I have ever cussed as much as we did during that time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...I agree...that is the dress! Huge score....! Tell your husband to hurry up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great score! Poor Matt, does he know we are all waiting on him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I would say 2 years is a whole new level of patience!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Excited for you and feeling sorry for your husbands. Wall paper removal is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *husband. I'm pretty sure you only have one. But then if you had two the paper would come down faster ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find! I love the cane back and classic lines!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd use the heck out of them. You can always recover the seats after your kids destroy them. That's what I did. :) great score Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great looking table! Worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous. I love how your home is shaping up- you have great taste! Craigslist is such a treasure trove.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! I can just imagine how giddy you were picking them up! I think you could still make the room comfortable and relaxed even with a formal table-sisal rug, maybe some pillows, etc. And boy am I jealous your hubby is so willing to do all that work himself...mine gets so stressed and nasty when I ask about anything DIY :-( Now I just call the pros bc it's not worth the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! What a score! Something is in the air with CL in Virginia. I just got my first good thing from CL too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great find Julia! Wow, I can't believe what great shape it's in too. You find some great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a major win on the Craigslist front! I can't wait to see that the dining room looks like in the end! I'm sure it will be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 2 years! Wow you are patient! The table and chairs ARE gorgeous and I'm so happy you found exactly what you wanted!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a find!! Can't wait to see them all set up in the dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous - what a great find! Your dining room will be beautiful! Sorry about the wallpaper nightmare. I can't even imagine. I only have one section about 4 feet by 10 feet that's a mess (the rest peeled off) I'm cursing its existence. A whole room - ugh. Your poor husband. Hope you get to move your gorgeous table in soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOOOO Absolutely gorgeous!! Patience is key.

    ReplyDelete
  20. awesome set! Can't wait to see the room come together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous!! What a find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. great find! they are very timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  23. so excited for you! Ive been where Matt is, and days like that have turned me off of wallpaper.. But , after 10 years of healing, I'm ready to put some more up, this time with seizing!
    good luck!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous!! Stephen got to experience wallpaper peeling like that when we were just dating and he worked on my house that my parents bought as a rental. Glad he still loves me today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't blame you...it's gorgeous! Sometimes you have to wait it out to get exactly what you are looking for, glad you found them :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That set is wonderful.. and yes.. use it everyday! You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the set. I've been stalking craigslist on and off for 3 years and still haven't come across a thing. I might just buckle and try to revamp a set of cane back chairs that are sitting in my inlaw's basement. I am pretty jealous you were able to find a set of 8…they are so rare! Way to go girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super score! I'm totally jealous but very happy for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good information dear. I have More stuff about Dinning Table and chairs Ideas to share

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk