JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

New House Progress: The Living Room

July 1, 2013

 Well following along from last week, I thought I'd give y'all a quick tour of what's been going on in the living room.  I've been playing around with furniture layout.  The round couch is a great statement piece but honestly it makes placing furniture around it pretty hard.  The room is really long so I decided to break it up into three zones.  I think that helps to keep it feeling cozy and encourages us to use this room.  I also moved the scatter rug from the front zone to the back zone which really helps that area feel a part of the room.

Both sets of chairs need to be re-covered and I need new pillows and accessories, and the mantle need to be styled, and blah blah blah. Let's just focus on the progress and furniture arrangement today!

As for paint:  The walls are Benjamin Moore Classic Gray, trim and fireplace are Designer White from Sherwin Williams, and the ceiling is Two in One Paint & Primer Ceiling Paint from Lowes.

 And here's a look at my first attempt.  The couch is so hard and my first thought was to float it in the back of the room and create a large sitting area with the four chairs and anchored by the couch.  I actually liked each area on it's own but it just wasn't working together as a whole room.  It feels so much smaller like this and didn't lend itself to being used.  Awkward. 

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

19 comments:

  1. I cant believe how fast your progress is coming along! Its looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Furniture arranging is so hard. I still can't figure out the right layout for my den. My wingbacks need to be recovered too, I used the money I had saved for that to recover our couch and i am glad I did but now I need to save and find fabric for them. It is honestly easier to buy new chairs but I just love the lines of a wingback chair so much! Love your paint choices and everything is coming along so great! Loving all the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia I'm amazed at how much you've accomplished so far. I love the paint color and all of your furniture pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your couch! I have a long living room too and need to implement your idea of zones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your furniture placement. It is a great backdrop for your adorable son standing in the room in that first picture! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it the new way you placed the furniture! looking so so pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love seeing Tagg walking!!!! yeah!!!!!!! I lov that couch, too. How fun to start out with a new room. You'll be rearranging it the rest of your life :). Love the bar chest between the windows, too; and those green matted prints!!!
    Have fun.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty - love that bar area.
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that sofa but you're right- the shape makes it difficult to work in to a seating arrangement. Everything is coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bar area looks like it is straight out of Domino magazine, gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Furniture arranging is a difficult task! I find it usually takes like 3 or 4 tries to get it in a way I'm comfortable with. I think the room is looking good and coming together! I absolutely love the gray walls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hardly ever comment but the whole house looks great! Question about the trim, do you use a different finish than the walls? If so, what finish do you use? We are in the process of painting our whole house and I am undecided on the trim finish! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your room looks great! Your couch is perfect and I'm living those sun burst mirrors:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realize how curved the couch was until this photo. That would make it tough. Off to a good start though! I have such a hard time figuring out the best arrangement, but it's fun trying out all the different arrangements. For me it's the ones that seem like they'd be the most awkward that turn out being the most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its looking so good!! I love seeing the progress here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk