JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Ikea List

August 5, 2013


__________________________________________________
Maybe it's the cool morning today, or maybe it was Wells' first foray into school last week, but something has me thinking about fall.  And back to school.  And getting organized.
I've got a plan in mind for various spaces around our house.  Let's face it, it's a long term plan in this new house of ours.  But I'm tackling things in small doses and in different phases.
Phase one is getting some play zones in order.
There is only one thing that could drag me purposefully into Northern Virginia traffic willingly.  Ikea.  I fully plan to execute a trip in the next few weeks to stock up on some finds for the kids play area in our family room.  Initially, we planned to convert our sunroom into a playroom but the reality is it's just not there yet in terms of structure and it makes more sense to have the kids play closer to the kitchen and the potty.  I've been playing around with floor plans in there lately and I fully intend to find a way to incorporate the kids and their things without destroying my peaceful view from the couch at night.
I'm not a huge fan of color, truth be told it's my least favorite part about kids toys.  Why can't they stay in the newborn black & white stimulation phase for a few years?  I also like to choose pieces that are miniatures of what Matthew and I like for adult furniture.  That way it blends better with our aesthetic.  There's not need for rainbow colored seating, I'm not running a preschool out of my living room.  I'm also not a fan of spending too much money on items that are going to take a lot of abuse.  Ikea seems to be the gold standard of cheap transitional furniture.  I'm going to give it a whirl.
What are some of your ikea favorites?  Where do you buy most of your children's furniture and play things?

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

21 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on the neutrals. That patterned rug is gorgeous and perfect for a kid's space! We have the floor lamp and it's gorgeous, looks way more expensive than it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just at Ikea...I love that place. It feels like fall here, too. It's too early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The expedit bookcases from ikea are perfect for kids storage and can be used later in a transitional way for crafts, teenagers, etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make a trip to Ikea too, I need a bookshelf for Sterlngs room and maybe some patio furniture. I never want to go though because I hear the store is overwhelming!! I am so ready for Fall, Fall is by far my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white table you've chosen has been great. The girls play at it and have snacks or do drawing. It's small enough that its constantly used for dolly tea parties and can move it themselves. Matching chairs are great too. A few of our friends have them too and for a recent birthday party we lined them up and had a mini banquet table - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best ikea kiddie purchase we've made was one of their small potties. We leave it in the car and have used it countless times when we need an emergency potty break or the provided restrooms were less than hygienic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, our little potty has come in handy big time. Ironically enough, the last trip to ikea last spring involved several little potty breaks in the parking deck because Wells was too overwhelmed by the huge and loud ladies restroom!

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on the brightly colored kids toys. I know they're fun and we've got a room full of them but goodness are they UGLY. I haven't seen those metal shelves before - I like them! Love those baskets too. There's a trunk made of the same material as the baskets that I like but am I cheap to think that $60 is a little pricey for a smallish Ikea trunk? I guess I'm just used to their crazy low prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. My mom and I stare at the basket/trunk every trip and neither of us ever buys it.

      Delete
  8. I was just at IKEA on Saturday. So much good stuff, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your picks! We have 2 sets of HYLLIS shelves and baskets in our laundry area to store all of our kids' art supplies and craft stuff. I put everything in baskets, galvanized buckets and mason jars. They can pull supplies out on their own and put them away. I love that things stay basically hidden but are very accessible to them. I will say that the shelves are not the most sturdy pieces ever, but they work....just definitely be careful if you have climbers!

    I second the emergency potty for the car! We have three kids who are now 7, 6, and 4, but when we were in the thick of potty training, I could not do without it. The thought of taking three young kids in a public restroom (who want to touch everything) was just a nightmare. I kept Clorox wipes in the car and was good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great picks! I love the look of those two rugs layered together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drop me a note and I'll meet you there. I almost stopped yesterday at that IKEA. We have the easel and I put it in my studio so the little one and I can paint together. It was worth so much more than that $15 price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have two of the Expedit units (one downstairs and one upstairs) with pretty baskets to hide the chaos of kid toys. We have the 8 opening one. It has worked really well - we started with one and a year and half later bought the second.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have the Ikea play kitchen and our 2 1/2 daughter loves it - it's always the go-to toy when her friends (boys and girls, all ages) come over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this list. I've got the organizing bug too right now.

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol about Ikea being the only thing to drag you into NoVa traffic. I live in NoVa, and I totally agree! Woodbridge is so crazy and 95 can be so slow. I love your picks, though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julia, let me know when you plan your trip to Ikea and I'll meet you there! They really have fantastic finds to blend in with your other stuff. I got a cowhide for 199.00 there. I love your aesthetic, and you'll make the kids space as gorgeous as your own!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes - only venture into Woodbridge on a weekday! Fun finds!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great post. Love your picks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the barometer floor lamp! I have been looking at their bookshelves lately for the sun room. I'm debating between a plain white one they sell or a metal one that I would spray paint gold..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk