JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

New House: Bathroom Progress

August 6, 2013

 If you follow me on instagram then you already saw that I was doing a bit of fluffing yesterday in our downstairs powder room.  Nothing dramatic, just a few little additions so far.

The last time we looked at pictures of our downstairs half bath it looked like this.  In honor of keeping it real, it still looks like this.  And it probably will look like this for a while longer.  It's relatively inexpensive to give this small bathroom a full on makeover.  Remove the wallpaper and paint the paneling.  Switch out the toilet, sink and mirror.  Even adding in a new light fixture and faucet keep the cost right at or below the $1,000 marker.  But Matt and I are currently saving for a new king size bed so plans to gut this powder room are on hold again.  

 When we tear out the sink most likely the paneling behind it will be damaged so we'll be removing the paneling altogether.  Matthew assures me this is why I shouldn't be considering asking him to paint it now.  Fair enough.  The wallpaper, on the other hand, is coming down sooner than later.  I've got to get together a plan and a wall color that will work with the existing wood paneling.  I'd like it to look like purposeful design choice.  Any suggestions?

I also plan replace the mirror and light fixture hopefully this fall.  The wood blinds are new and are possibly just a temporary fix.  I'd really like to do a roman shade in this room but I'm not prepared to choose a fabric and have that made right now and Matt needs his privacy.  I get that.

I've also added in my Lulie Wallace Calendar art and my new rug from Homegoods to help things along in the pretty department.  It's a big improvement but still has a long way to go.


Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

23 comments:

  1. Save for the King bed first. I can't stop raving about ours. We have been having the best nights sleep ever since we switched! Love the idea of framing the Lulu print and the rug was a score! I think the little details make a big difference in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks lovely. Our King cost as much as much as my first car and it was worth every dime for amazing nights' sleep. Priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we got a king bed it was life changing for real!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that it's nice and neutral to start with so that will make the waiting easier, right?! Yes, definitely KING, love ours! That paneling looks just like what is in the powder room of our new home (closing Friday yahoo, apt living overrated!), and I was originally going to keep it (they painted it white but every single stitch of the house is being repainted!). But, after pinning a million ideas, I'm thinking about going with board and batten and a wallpaper-the only thing is, the mirrors always look odd to me because they're either over the B & B or built into it, which I'm not prepared to do because knowing me I'll want to change the mirror in 2 years! Decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The king bed will definitely be worth it! The pretty little things for the bathroom make it look good while the makeover is on hold!

    www.XoLindsay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a quaint powder room. No worries on the time. Do you know you can remove all those extra slats at the bottom of your shades? I love our King bed .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the rug! The bed with be so worth it, can't wait to see what you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A king bed is a must have!!! I cannot imagine going back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly, I don't hate the sink or the toilet at all! Saving for the bed is totally worth it. You could get a mirror from Homegoods/TJ Maxx, etc. on the cheap and use it temporarily...then put it elsewhere in the house when you get what you really want. I think some paint on the walls, cabinets and panels would do wonders and would be super inexpensive. I really don't think you'd even need to think about the sink and toilet anytime soon if you can put the money elsewhere. I'm sort of drawn to the scalloped sink! My office has white painted wood paneling and I LOVE the charm it gives. I love the way you've accessorized ...especially the fish hand towel. You've got it looking good in the mean time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. King beds are a life changer...so I hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the rug! And I really like the bathroom - minus the mirror and lighting. Is there a chance you could change the sink without the vanity having to go too? It reminds me of a man's bathroom - all the wood, but it would be so pretty all painted white too. I like you can't go wrong with a creamy gray neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've spent so much time in hotels the last few years and the bed is sooo important. There is such a big difference in staying at a nice hotel on an expensive king bed and sleeping at home. It makes a huge difference in health! I love your bathroom. It has good bones, so it's a shame the paneling is coming down but you do what you have to. We are making over the dining room and sunroom right now and it takes time. No hurries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing like a little zhush to keep you happy while you wait for the big redo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing how some accessories can transform a room immediately! Great job! I am loving what I see!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the rug and the other details you've added. I think some light colored paint could really open the space up. Or you could just embrace the darker colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love that rug.... and uh, I dream of a king size bed as well. it'll be so worth saving for!

    www.itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's kind of amazing how many different things there are to spend $1,000 on when it comes to a new house, right? Well, I think this little space will be oozing with charm once you're done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE your powder room! Your renovation ideas are splendid! Regarding the wallpaper, I think you can keep what you have. It blends well with the wood paneling. At least you won't spend more on the wallpaper and just save your funds for the king size bed.

    Ryann@YanceyCompany.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd definitely say save for the King Save bed first... use accessories in the rest of the room like you've done with the bathroom blinds and rug. A lot cheaper and it makes a big difference straight away :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You should prioritize the king sized bed first. Have you bought one already? The renovation can wait. You have a lot of time to go on with the project in the future. That will also give you a lot of chances to improve your bathroom plans. Try to look for more inspirations. Who knows, you might change your mind of how you want your powder room to look like. :)

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where did you find the frame for the Lulie Wallace print? I bought the calendar from Anthro and I have been looking for frames that would work well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk