JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

One Room Challenge: Week 3

October 16, 2013


Well here we are at week three of the One Room Challenge.  Half way to the finish line.  I have to say, I'm feeling really good about the pace of my room.  

I really appreciate everyone's input last week with my flooring and seating dilemma.  I haven't lived with wall-to-wall carpeting with kids before and your insight into the upkeep was priceless.  I decided against it.  I'm using a large 9x12 Sisal Herringbone rug to anchor the room.  We already have this same rug in our family room and it's held up well over the past year of heavy duty traffic so I felt good about putting another down in this space.  Some soft layers on top are going to be a must though because it's not the softest rug. 

 I've started adding back in some toys to the room which is automatically brightening things up.  I'm really happy with my plan to stick to mostly neutrals in this space because I knew that would happen.  I have to keep in mind this is a playroom after all, so a colorful bounty of toys is a good thing!  Large scale wicker baskets help keep a lot of the mess at bay.
 I've figured out a solution to my seating problems as well.  I'm actually not going to purchase anything new.  I'm going to have slipcovers made for my existing slipper chairs.  They're in near perfect condition but I'm a bit over the pattern and style.  I think adding a floor-length skirt similar to the chair below will really help give them a bigger presence.  I used some white towels to mock up what that might look like before I pull the trigger on fabric purchases.  I'm really happy with them.  They're really comfortable and good for climbing toddlers!
I'm going to go with white cotton duck so all of you that swear by white slip-covers better not be leading me astray!


 My plans for this coming week involve making a tee-pee so sure to check back in for progress or extra glasses of wine consumption!  There are about a million tutorials on pinterest.  Wish me luck!

 I'm also over the moon excited about my Painted Dessert Rug from Lulu & Georgia that's on it's way.  It's going to be a small addition to the teepee project but I know it will add that special bang to the space!


Of course, I'm already starting to enjoy spending a lot of time in our playroom so I know I've made a good decision using this space for the One Room Challenge this round.  With all this rain lately I've been hanging out in Plum Pretty Sugar jammas around the clock!
________________________________________________________________
Click here if you want to start at the beginning and as always, please check out the other fabulous ladies to see what they've been up to this week!

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

42 comments:

  1. Well, all very cute ... especially you in those jammies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice of the rug, I like the layered look and those two together will look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute play room. The Tee Pee looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you have made a ton of progress!! Love the direction you are going!! If your tee pee works out, I might need to follow your lead and make one. Sterling really wants one I just have a hard time paying $150 for a couple of sheets and wood:) and your jammies rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those PJs are divine and I can't wait to see the teepee project. All DIY projects should involve wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look forward to seeing the teepee project - sounds like such fun! I love the colors in the toys that you have already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see how you tackle the tee pee- I looked into it for Weeks but couldn't decide what tutorial was best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your choices, especially that rug - gorgeous. Good luck with the tee-pee!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  9. That rug is one of my favorites! Can't wait to see it in the space!! And great idea on the slipcovers, I'm doing the same thing right now for an old pair of chairs and I can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that rug from L&G! I actually just got it for our kitchen to break up the all white blob that it was. It looks even better in person!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you decided against carpet. Those floors are so pretty! The chairs will be great and that Lulu & Georgia rug will add a fun little twist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cannot wait to see your room come together. That rug is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it great when you can make it work out well w/things you already have. Love those pj's too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That rug is so pretty and fun! I want to hang out there too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the jammies and rug. I can already see all of you on a snow day hanging out. I think the exposed stone floor is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wooo so fun! Good luck on the teepee! I know you can pull if off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Progress looks great. I tried to click on your link for the sisal rug but it took me to your plum pretty sugar post rather than the rug source. Would you mind sharing where the rug is from.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will fix link when I get home! Thanks!!! Xoxox

      Delete
  18. That L&G rug is stunning and I can't wait to see the teepee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's looking awesome! Would you mind sharing where the sisal herringbone rug is from? I clicked the link but it's taking me back to a recent post of yours that doesn't seem to be about the rug. Probably my computer being wonky!

    The teepee and patterned rug will be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happens when I post before my coffee. Will fix the link when I get home :) xoxox

      Delete
  20. I'm sure your kiddos are already loving their own space!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That rug will be so fabulous, and I love those cute tee pees! It already feels like a fun cozy spot, perfect for coffee and pjs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cu - Tie in those jammies and I love the progress so far!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The L&G rug is super cute. What a fun space this is going to be for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That Lulu and Georgia rug is going to be KILLER. Looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like where you are going with this, and I am happy you are doing the slipcovers.

    A word about them from someone who has had slipcovers for many years on many chairs. Be sure to wash the fabric and shrink it ahead of making the slipcovers. They might shrink on you otherwise. I think you wil be happy with them because you can throw them in the wash. White denim works well. I have had that and duck. Good luck with these, and I love seeing where you are going with this cute room. Love the black and white pillows and the Audubon flamingo. Love your elephant head, too. Your family is goinG to enjoy this room, and I love the fact that you are addressing the kids' needs as well as the adults'. Good job! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have white carpet in our playroom and it does require quite a bit of upkeep. I think putting an area rug in is definitely a good idea. We have the chunky wool and natural jute rug from Pottery Barn in our bedroom and it is much softer than sisal, but hides any dirt/stains well. Just an idea to consider! I love reading your blog and can't wait to see the finished playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay, I'm glad you went for an area rug. That Lulu and Georgia number is going to be fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. that rug!!! So precious!! and I love your pjs. I just love the brightness in this room with those huge windows!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well I am not going to sugar coat slipcovers...they do have to be washed quite often....but they sure do look good! The rug is pretty damn awesome by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love everything.....you are so right to allow the toys to be the color pop. That rug is so perfect and I cannot wait to see the Tee Pee. I have one in my plan but honestly, I don't think I have the space. Your kids must be loving this transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am drooling over your gorgeous rug! Looking forward to see how your fun tee pee project turned out!

    P/S: Come by and enter my current giveaway for a chance to win $200 store credit from DecoraUSA!

    http://www.mixandchic.com/2013/10/giveaway-200-decorausa-store-credit.html

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Do you have any idea how much I love that rug!!!?!? Good luck with the teepee -every kids dream, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE how things are shaping up> I LOVE that desert rug and your plans for the tee pee. Can't wait to see how it turns out. And the slip cover chairs are a great idea. Also, I spotted one of my favorite pictures of yours...the pink flamingo, in the background! love that it's made it's way into the playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an amazing space! Love that rug and the teepee - can't wait to see your tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This room is going to look so great when you are done. I like how you solved the flooring problem. And that teepee is going to be such a great thing for your kids to play in.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such cute jammies! I love the way the room is coming together. Looks like lots of fun with the toys in it. I just adore that Lulu & Georgia rug!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Will you share which size you got in the fabulous jammies??

    ReplyDelete
  38. Where did you get the chair you have next to the wicker baskets. It is soooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh so lovely! Thank you so much for letting us be part of your blog. We are beyond thrilled!

    xo

    www.PlumPrettySugar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk