JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

One Room Challenge Week 4

October 23, 2013

 Welcome back to the One Room Challenge.  We've already arrived at week 4 which means just two weeks left to complete my playroom.  I'm ready.  I've been feeling good about my plan and the progress I've made.  The only trouble I'm having is keeping Wells and Tagg out of their new playroom.  They considered it 100% complete from the moment their toys arrived in the space.  Just as I suspected, they're trashing the room pretty quickly.  That is making my progress shots a lot trickier!
 If you've been reading along all week then you already know that we received some new furniture this week.  Nothing that I wanted for the playroom in particular, but it did cause a shuffle of furniture leaving me with a very pink, very available sofa.

You're probably thinking, wow, you just got a pink striped sofa.  How awesome.  Well the truth is no, I've been in possession of this sofa for 10 years.  Yes, I've managed to keep her off this blog.  You feel totally ripped off?  Like there is so much of myself that I've been hiding from you?  Like I have a whole secret life I don't share here publicly?  Well, I guess that's pretty true.  This couch was my first big furniture purchase from my first big paycheck after college.  And I went to GDC in Charleston and selected a pricy quality sofa.  That was pink.  EFF.  And in one of the only lines they carry that doesn't make slipcovers for their pieces.  Double Eff.  Despite her age and use, this sofa is in amazing shape and incredibly comfortable.  We have zero plans of ditching her.  It's a lesson learned on buying quality.  It really does last forever.  Just be sure to buy neutral quality.  You never know when you're taste might evolve.

I've taken the covers off the four cushions countless times but there are still some stubborn stains that won't come out.  And it's all just a but much.  So I've ordered this two-piece twill slipcover in white which should arrive on Friday.  I've already spend a large portion of my budget for this room so a custom slipcover just isn't in the cards.  And I still have my two slipper chairs I mentioned last week in the middle of their makeover with no place to put them now.  Sometimes life throws you curveballs and you adjust.  Have you had any unexpected changes to your plan this late in the game?

I'm hoping it will look as close to this as possible.  I know a slipcover won't be that tailored but hopefully the plain white background will blend in better.  And it's totally washable so the napkin status is less offensive.


And because I want to keep it real here and show you exactly what the playroom looks like currently.  Bam.  Does this make up for me keeping my pink couch from you all these years?  Do you want to cringe and say a group, bless her heart.  She needs a housekeeper.  I have a 1.5 year old and a just turned 3 year old who doesn't nap.  This is my life, y'all.  One Room Challenge or not.

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

41 comments:

  1. I feel your pain....my 5 year old was home sick yesterday and she and my 3 year old were having a field day as I was trying to photograph the book wall....Oh well, right? It is there space. Yours is looking great...I wish I was as confident that I could get it all done by the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink couch is the perfect pop of colour in that space! I really appreciate you keeping it real. If I showed the state of my place half the time...well. lol! Keep up the good work Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post was so funny. Do you know, having grown up in the northeast, I didn't know what bless your hear really meant. I thought it was like what my Irish grandmother would say - literally bless you. A woman at work here in DC had to explain it to me!

    Your first couch purchase has great lines! Looks great size wise in the space and the slipcover will be great. My first couch purchase after college occurred during the Haitian cotton craze...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I remember those days of littles and no naps, but also of the white couch I purchased with my first check! The good news? The kids can do it no harm and like Tiffany said, the pink gives a nice pop to the space if the slipcover doesn't work out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If my 4 year-old didn't nap I'd never be able to photograph anything. We all understand the pink couch. Take heart in the fact that you did not buy cheap crap that fell apart after a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to come together! And it looks like the kids totally love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to really enjoy this room, and some day, when you look back on it and aren't having to clean up thirty thousand pieces of Lego or plastic foods and their accompanying dishes, you will smile and miss the days when your babies were small and learning to explore the world with you watching and guiding. It goes by so fast. So very fast. And you will love snuggling on that sofa with those darling babies. I enjoy watching the One Room Challenge, and your room will turn out great! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, we've all been there! My boys are 7 and 9 and still messy! I love watching the room evolve!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are too funny! Mess or no mess, it's a beautiful space with lovely views and your children will thrive in the space. Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the same thing at GDC...junior year I went and bought this cornflower blue, floral club chair. It is so comfy and well made, plus its in great condition since it's been in storage for nearly 8 years. I'm sure I'll end up recovering her at some point, when we finally settle down :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've all been there and that couch does look SO comfy! I like it in the playroom and can't wait to see it with the slipcover. My plans have definitely been changing so I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh that looks like my first sofa only it was in the blue stripe version!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have a child who doesn't nap, so I feel your pain - it is impossible to get anything done! Anyway, this is the room where the toys are supposed to be strewn all over the place, right? You're making great progress, I'm sure it will all come together, even if it takes a little longer than the challenge timeframe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear ya! My house looks like this most days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the sofa, and I love all the muted colors in this room, great pieces! PS: Matthew doesn't nap either but at least I have pre-school who comes to the rescue! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the mirror and the rugs - I know it will look great. I did one of those loose slipcovers from Pottery Barn for a sofa for a client with two dogs who slept on it and I loved the look and she could launder it herself all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks a lot cleaner than my house at the end of the day with a four year old and a one year old who never naps... And pink stripey ain't half bad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha. I have 10, 11 and 13 year olds and my house looks worse than yours. I know this is going be to awesome in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Three kids here, so I know exactly what you mean! I love that you are keeping it real (and I love the matching pink streamers in the sunburst mirror!! Can't wait to see the unpinkified space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel you sister. my 5 yr doesn't nap and the mister is O.O.T. this week. rude. I am not getting ANYTHING done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for keeping it real, our home looks way messier. I think the pink striped sofa isn't that bad.

    Can't wait to see the finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  22. awe real life! Love it.
    I think the pink stripes are fun. But I've been known to indulge in the pink. Can you just cover the seat and back cusions in white and leave the skirt pink? Too crazy? Want me to butt out? ;)
    It'll look great either way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It'll all come together and be great!
    Can't wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fingers crossed the slipcover fits! It will look fabulous!

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah, I understand about neutral tones with large pieces. It will be great the slipcover will save the day. Our playroom looked like that for about 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like the lines of the pink sofa...I've never ordered a slipcover that wasn't custom...so this is a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your honesty! I really like the pink, I need to take that advice about buying quality neutral because my color choices to tend to be on the not so neutral side!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My kids are the same ages as yours -- and my TV room looks just like that! Thank God I'm not alone!
    www.pursuingvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness! Where do you find the time with the 2 of them?? Major props lady ;) btw i like the striped sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yup, you just pretty much summed up my everyday with a 3 year old and a 10 month old...chaos!!!! I'm sure the slipcover will look great. I'm working with a couch I had recovered in navy several years back and although I'd MUCH rather a neutral linen tone, this will work fine in a playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I remember those days!! A slipcover is perfect in a playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I bet your friends were envious of that sofa 10 years ago! :) I don't have toddlers and my house is so bad right now, all the diy projects are taking over!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Julia, it's a challenge with little ones but it truly is the best of times! Is that pink ribbon on the mirror? So cute. I share your "make it work" approach - out of necessity!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hilarious. I love a good playroom shot:) My house looks like that half the time with a husband and dog....no need for kids. That's Ok...you will do what we all do and pretty it up for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Julia it will be a wonderful room and trust me I remember those days when mine were little and only 16 months apart!

    xoxo
    Karena
    New_2013 Designer Series

    ReplyDelete
  36. While I absolutely love the pink sofa, I think the white will be a nice alternative that will go along easily with whatever is happening in your divine playroom. I remember those days and it looks like heaven!
    All best,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have a 4 and 2 year old(both boys), so I can totally relate. Looking forward to it all coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  38. My den looks like that everyday. Love the slip cover idea! throw some cute pillows on there and you have a fresh new couch!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. aw i love getting to see what real life looks like - - thank you. i just adore this space and the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm having a hard enough time working on my ORC with my dog underfoot all the time...I don't know how you do it with two little kiddos! It's looking really good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Real life and real mess sometimes suck but I bet your kids are having a blast at this space already!!! Good luck with the sofa issue!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk