JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: WEEK FIVE

October 30, 2013

Welcome back to week five of the One Room Challenge where 20 bloggers each tackle the design and installation of one room over six weeks.  It's exhausting.  It's exhilarating.  You'll love it.

I'm making over the sun room in our new house into a bonafide playroom.  My goal is to create a space that's fun for the kids and eye-pleasing for the adults.  I want my little babes' imaginations to run wild in here along with their toys.  It's a blessing to have this space during the day but be able to close the door at night.  But because it's on the first floor just off our formal living room it needs to be a space that can be accessed when we entertain.  With only one week left, I've got a lot on my plate but I'm well on my way to achieving that goal!
 A certain non-napping three year old was a big fan of the new lounge area as well.

I'm going to give a full review on the slipcover after living with it for more than an afternoon.  My immediate straight out of the box response?  I love it.  I plan to go back and post a five star review on the site.  

Let's be real, it's ready-made slipcover so you're not going to fool anyone into thinking it's custom re-upholstery.  But the white fabric is heavy and covered my bright patterned sofa impeccably.  Its construction is durable and well made.  It comes in two pieces and fit my behemoth sofa so I feel confidant it could work on yours.  It's really easy to slip the cover off just the seat cushions for frequent washing.  I've never bought a truly white piece before so I'm trusting my friends who told me to go ahead with it!

I had to spend some time ironing the slipcover, and I still need to go back over it with a steamer, but let's face it, it came folded in a box.  Wrinkles are to be expected.  I love the box pleats, the two pieces that separate the frame of the sofa from the bottom cushions, and the fact that it tightens in the back and not in the front.  Those elements really add to the elevated style of this ready-made slipcover.  It's tailored and not at all shabby-chic which I prefer.

I know I sound like a paid promotion right now but I promise I'm not.  I researched it all on my own and paid full price.  I've been looking into this long before the challenge arrived.  Shipping was free, but it is for you too.  I'm just really happy with my choice and I think it's the perfect low-cost solution for this space.

I also love the layered striped boardwalk rug from rejuvenation on top of my sisal in front of the sofa.  It's an indoor/outdoor rug so I'm not worried about the added foot traffic or inevitable spills from sofa snacking.  I'm forgoing a coffee table in order to save floor space for playing so I love the extra pop it adds to help define the seating area.  I got another one to go by the back sliding glass doors as well since we use go out to the back deck from here a lot while we're playing.

 I know, you're probably oohing and ahhing over those pretty pillows too.  The fabric is schumacher chenonceau in charcoal, one of my all-time favorite patterns.  I bought the first one from Sarah last year and ordered the second mate from SparkModern for this challenge.  I planned to use one on each of my two chairs but with my new seating situation I'm in need of some more pillow fluffing.  I'm not sure what yet so add that to the to-do list.
 ____________________________________________________________

 Sadly, I broke my finger last week and got behind on several large scale DIY projects that are now in various stages of completion.  Matthew and my mom are coming in to help so we can get get it done in time for next week! 

I did manage to complete one simple project for plastic toy storage.  We have so many small toys that need to be corralled and separated.  I loved the idea of using clear plastic bins to keep them contained but visually available.  I just couldn't bring myself to stacking Tupperware at this stage in the game so I brainstormed some alternatives.

I peeled off the animal cracker label from our large size Sams Club cookie bins and added on a chalkboard label from the Martha Stewart line at Staples.  Then I spray painted the primary colored lids with a 2-in-1 semi-gloss in black.  I'm obsessed with how they've turned out!  So far we have four bins but I'm thinking we need to acquire some more!  I love that they look like pretty glass jars but without the worry of breaking.

 Are you so impressed?  You know I love a good simple DIY that involves spray paint as the main ingredient.  Imagine the possibilities.  And bonus, now you can now justify all those cheese puff bins you've been buying anyway!
 ____________________________________________________________

Click here if you want to start at the beginning.

As always, please check out the other awesome ladies below.  That's a lot of talent right there.
 

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

48 comments:

  1. Looks so great! I'd be very nervous about the white sofa and little kids... you're brave! Awesome idea for the toy bins! Can't wait to see everything next week! (Hope your finger feels better!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you broke your finger. The sofa looks amazing and your daughter's dress matches the room. So cute. Love the Rejuvenation rug, the pillows and the diy toy storage. That was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking so so good! And that couch cover looks amazing, totally gave it a new fresh look!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it all! Glad the slip cover worked out for you too. The natural light in that room is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously love everything - the sofa, those pillows in a favorite fabric of mine, the striped rug, and the DIY - this is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking great! I might be stealing that DIY toy storage idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the DIY storage idea and the room looks great! Hope your finger feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the storage repurposed containers are pretty fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it all! It's coming together so nicely. Fresh and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The slipcover looks terrific. I have slipcovered white chairs and it's so easy to toss them in the wash. Yes, love those pillows! Sorry about your finger - hope it's not too painful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pillows!! And I do that too with the chalkboard labels...and any large container...so convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The slipcover looks great, I've tried some and this is by far much better! I loved those pillows when you showed them last week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A broken finger?! Yikers. Loving everything though! Pillows look awesome as does the slip cover. Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that DIY. I might need to try that one out. :) And the slipcover looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The plastic container project is genius! The possibilities are endless...laundry room, craft room, office.

    Room is looking great, can't wait til' the finale!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great! I must say I love Wells outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wait, what?????? I can't even believe that's your pink couch!! The slipcover looks SO great Julia!! So not sloppy like other non-custom slipcovers I've seen. I'm absolutely amazed and now I'm thinking of the slipcover possibilities in my own house! I LOVE the direction you went with this room, that is really like a beautiful sunroom with those amazing windows, what a great place to hang out with your kiddos and also entertain other families with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That slipcover is amazing! I am working with a client who doesn't have the budget for reupholstery and i was nervous about slipcovers. After seeing this no more. Also love you creative toy storage, so cute! Good luck getting it all done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The couch is awesome! Seriously the storage solution is brilliant!!! Your model in the room is pretty cute too!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a great idea on the animal cracker bin! It looks awesome! Very creative. Your room is looking fab!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear about your finger, hope it gets better now. I love that you used the cookie containers for toys, it's such a great idea! They won't break, don't cost a penny and you are recycling at the same time! Your daughter looks adorable and I love her cute outfit!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't believe you broke your finger. Im so sorry. Your sitting area looks great, and you will love that slipcover long term I'm sure. How did you do with all those photoshoots? Not easy Im sure! Good luck with the finale, and hope your finger heals quickly!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is turning out to be amazing! Those pillow covers are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is such a cutie especially styled for the room! It is looking so great! I have loads to do before I rest. Cannot wait to see the final reveals next week!
    Hope your finger heals.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh no, your poor finger! Thanks goodness for helpful family members. The sofa looks so chic! I like how your three year old is matching with the decor :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sorry to hear about the finger injury. Did I miss where the slipcover is from and does it come in smaller sizes? I'd like to try one for my sofa in my family room. Dang dog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So sorry to hear about your finger!! Bummer, hope it heals quickly. Loving the sofa slipcovered, it just completes the look of the room. And I'm totally using your cookie jar turned block holder idea, brilliant my dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the striped rug and the animal crackers DIY is genius!! Your sweet little girl makes the room!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've broken my middle finger before too! It's the worst! They can't do anything for you except buddy tape it to the next one, right? All I really remember is weeks of teasing about my over-use of that finger and my mom saying "god punishes"...hahaha. Hope it heals quickly!

    I love that idea about the plastic bins... however I wish you would give me a tip on how to limit the amount of tracks you have, because there is no way I could cram all of the Thomas business into one of those!

    What's the source for that great slipcover? You're making me rethink selling my way-too-dark for our cave of an apartment brown sofa...

    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks fantastic! And the animal cracker storage is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I need some jars like that....brilliant! That Schumacher pattern is one of my favorites also and I have seen it in the wallpaper and died. Those pillows look so good on the white sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Julia I love your sunroom/ playroom it is so fresh, light and bright!

    Your daughter is a doll as well of course!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Review "Fifth Avenue Style"

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just beautiful! The white sofa and those pillows are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a good idea for toy storage!! The room is coming together so well- can't wait to see how it all turns out

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love it all! The slipcover, the toy storage, everything! I can't wait to see the final reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks so much for featuring our Chenonceau pillow cover in your sunroom, Julia! This pattern looks so fresh and playful in your lovely room, can't wait to see the rest of the space!

    Lauren & Amy
    {sparkmodern.etsy.com}

    ReplyDelete
  37. Julia, the pillows are gorgeous ... but my favorite is the animal cracker buckets! Very clever indeed ... boy I could have filled an entire wall!! Sorry about your finger :( xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. The slipcover fits like a glove and the pillow fabric is gorgeous! Great storage idea and it is always helpful to be able to see through to what is inside.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looking great!! And I love that diy, genius and simple, and easy! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  40. omg loving all of the updates so far. love the slip cover. love the throw pillows. can't wait to see how the puppet/ play house thing turns out. hope you're finger gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Simply amazing!! The slipcover looks awesome and so great you can wash it. and the empty animal cookie bins- genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Julia , looks amazing! Love the clear bin DIY! Sorry about your finger! Yikes!!!! How did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  43. The great irony about white slip covers is that they are the most kid-proof thing out there. Hello bleach, my best friend. I have three white slip covered sofas and two boys and I've always managed to get the most gnarly spills/stains off them. Room looks great. -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  44. bravo bravo!!!! It looks amazing!!
    Hope your finger heals fast!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my goodness so sorry about your finger!! Your playroom is coming along beautifully! The DIY bins are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your room already looks like you're ready for the reveal - gorgeous! The Schumacher pattern is one I've been eyeing for awhile now - seeing your pillows seals the deal. Gotta have some! Sorry about your finger - glad you've got some back-up to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  47. The couch looks good and so do the Schumacher pillows! Ready for the reveal!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk