JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Changes | JuliaRyan.com

November 4, 2013

I've been thinking about changing my blog name for years.  In 2011 I was ready to take the plunge when we decided to move away from Pawleys Island.  But I was afraid.  In 2012 I thought about it again, very seriously, but again got held up in fear.  Fear of change.  Fear of your reaction.  Last March, Matthew bought me my domain name, www.juliaryan.com for our anniversary.  He felt like it was pretty good marriage insurance.  I worked diligently to create a new logo that reflected my modern traditional aesthetic.  I spent weeks tweaking it.  And then I moved on.  I left it hanging out of fear once again that it was too late.  Or too soon.  When is the right time?  Why am I over thinking this?  It's not like I'm freaking Martha Stewart trying to re-brand here.

I like my name.  I like creating things.  
I know these two things may be the only elements of my identity that will not change with time.
I wanted this blog to reflect that.

I started this blog in 2009.  I was a newly-wed.  Blogging was new and something I'd stumbled into.  I was just starting to navigate decorating our first house.  I was excited about starting a new chapter of my life in Pawleys Island, South Carolina.  I loved all things new and lots of color.  Not so much anymore.  I crave things held in tradition and full of stories.  I like to rest my eyes in calm.  There has been enough color and chaos in my life for awhile.

It's almost 2014 friends.  
I'm still married, but that's about the only thing that hasn't changed.  I have two small children who turned me into a mother.  This has changed me in ways only imaginable to other women who have bore this right.  We're working on our third house and feel pretty permanently settled in Virginia.  Unless we move back to South Carolina.  I've learned a home is not made through new sofa's or hanging pictures on the wall.  It's made by laughter and tears and accumulating memories that bear into your soul and move with you.  It's about feeling settled and comfortable and hopeful no matter where you sleep.

  This blog of mine has been evolving with me and it's time the name reflected that.
So bear with me as I clean things up and continue to improve the layout and function of this blog!


Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

39 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to see all of the new goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I love it all :-) Thank you for this fun Monday morning treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! I have been reading for a little while...not too long...a few months maybe? But I can see how this loo fits you...and I love that you are using your name. You will never have regrets on that. And I love that you will be moving to a dot.com. I have been toying with all these ideas as well....so I'm glad to know others have similar ideas. Congrats! All very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new look. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Such simple words but a strong message. I get it. And the quote you've included today, is spot on. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! A simple, yet fun look, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Change is always hard but I love the idea and I agree with so many of your sentiments about life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wise words! Change is tough, but good and necessary! Way to go! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new look! It is so you!!! Rock on my beautiful friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The line "It's almost 2014 friends." terrified me! How did that happen? Loving the name change idea...although I will always think "Pawleys Island Posh" is one of the most creative & cutest blog names on the net. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! You are totally going to rock the new look and name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julia it's absolutely fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it and think it makes total sense!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo Julia, a great move, very professional presence for your business as well. We felt that way when we changed our blog, too, but CHANGE IS GOOD, positive and not stagnant! Your offerings will always hit home and your brand IS YOU! Congrats on the leap and it's a smash already! Good luck with the ORC this week!
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love it! adore the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the new look and name! Very fitting since Pawley's isn't your permanent home anymore. I'll make sure to update the url on bloglovin when the time comes to make sure I keep up with all your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! I love the new name and look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the new name! And the new look!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! The name, the look, the design. All perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know how I feel. Love the tagline.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks awesome! Now people won't be confused with where you live too! Now I'm thinking the next time you are in town I just need to hire you for a day of help with my blog and photography!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! The new you , I love it! Chic and stylish. I welcome the change😘

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it! I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but I'm afraid too. I just know my current blog name isn't really reflecting what I'm doing now. Thanks for going first. I think it's a great move!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on reworking your blog! I love the new logo and I know everything to follow will be just a brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats! Beautifully said. I love the new logo and look forward to the changes ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the new name and I'm excited about your new inspiration! XO

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's perfect. I think it's a great decision and perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. YAY Let's do this... change is good

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've always enjoyed reading your blog and will continue to enjoy it as it grows and evolves! Can't wait to see what's in store!

    ReplyDelete
  31. GOOD FOR YOU! Love the new name and logo.

    Fear...why do we let it get the best of us? Sometimes you just have to say what the hell and go for it!
    You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love it!

    And this: "I've learned a home is not made through new sofa's or hanging pictures on the wall. It's made by laughter and tears and accumulating memories that bear into your soul and move with you. It's about feeling settled and comfortable and hopeful no matter where you sleep."

    Oh my word, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  33. love it! yah for taking the plunge! so proud of you and I think it's a great time for the change!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Kudos to you! Totally understand the hesitation. My mr. bought me Chez V Design a year and half ago and I am still waffling. You have inspired me to take the plunge and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You have such a beautiful name, so it makes for a perfect blog title as well-- it is completely, YOU, haha! I have thought a lot over the last year or so about changing my blog name as well. I feel like I've outgrown the cute (but cheesy) "Sundresses and Smiles". I have a very long list on my phone of blog name ideas, but haven't yet found something to stick. I'll get there someday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk