JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

House Projects: Master Bedrom

January 8, 2014

I want to make my home a better place for my family.  I want it to be a clean and relaxing place for my husband to come home to at the end of his work day.  I want it to be a pretty and inviting space for me and my friends to enjoy.  I want it to be a warm and functional space to raise my children.  I want home improvement to be a source of happiness in my marriage and not a point of contention.

My head and pinterest folders are full of beautiful thoughts on how to achieve this but I often get discouraged on just how to start when there is so much that needs to be done.  I worry about how much time and money each project will cost.  I am so aware of how my style has evolved over the last few years that I get nervous about regretting a decision.  So I live with empty walls or frames hung with no picture inside.  Or I get discouraged because I can't check off a room as done.

I'm working on that.

So like every good blogger in January, I'm promising to show you more of our steps along the way.  
__________________________________________________________________

Today I'm focusing on a few updates we've made in our master bedroom.  We want a calm and restful place to sleep (when the babes aren't waking us up all night.  Please tell me this ends at some point).

I'm using this simple and classic room as our inspiration.  The biggest upgrade we've made is getting up off the floor.  We literally slept on a mattress on the floor until just before Christmas.  Please don't think our home is coming together perfectly overnight.  We'd still like to upgrade to a king size bed but things keep coming up so that may be a dream for another year. We immediately added white wooden blinds to the three windows for privacy but have no plans yet for drapes or fabric shades.  There is a bit of a slope to the front our home which throws me off.  We need to replace the ceiling light fixture and purchase bedside chests and lamps. 

We're still happily using the Pottery Barn Essentials Bedding in white that my parents gave us for Christmas last year.  I had previously turned my nose at this four-poster bed that belonged to my parents.  But age has clearly made me wiser, and I happily accepted when they re-offered it a few weeks ago.  I just purchased this Schumacher Betwixt pillow cover in a 20x20 in the stone/white colorway from Spark Modern on etsy.  They're one of my favorite places to source well-made pillow covers.  This is my third purchase and their quality is consistently great.  I plan to send my Euro's off to Huger Embroidery to get monogrammed but I'm waiting to see if we end up with two or three first.

*The wall color is a lovely shade of dirty plaster with a wall-paper paste residue glaze on top.  Poor Matthew is our in-house wallpaper remover in an effort to stretch our renovation budget and the projects never seem to end in an older home.  I do love the look of the white walls so I'm investigating white options now.  Any white paint recommendations?


Here is a a closer look at the art above our bed.  It's a simple project I tackled the other day while Tagg was napping.  We received a beautiful save the date card from friends a few months back with a wonderful little watercolor print map of Charleston.  While the date has been saved, it hasn't arrived yet, and I was thinking about how even after it does I'd like to leave it up on my fridge forever because Charleston is such a special place to me and Matthew.  And I noticed that the actual map is a perfect square and I knew I had a little print from my mother-in-law that never got hung in Tagg's nursery.  I've always liked the little nest print but it just never worked anywhere specific.  I decided this little switch would be perfect!

I'm sure you have something similar hanging around your attic.  Too pretty to give away, but not really working with your current needs now.


Take an existing frame.  Cut around the edge of the paper backing until the mat is exposed. Using the edge of your scissors, or a flat-head screw driver, carefully raise up the edges of the staples.  I was only able to do this on three sides.  The fourth was stapled right in and I didn't want to mess with that.  Slip your new picture right over top of the old one.  Most of the pictures I've found are glued down so it's not worth peeling them up and possibly tearing the mat.  Push the staples back down to secure the glass and picture in the frame.  Tape the back closed.  Voila!


Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

33 comments:

  1. Nothing I love more than a white bed. It is so white and inviting. I am in the same boat wanting to revamp our master. I want a new rug, light fixture, and night tables and lamps! I know yours will looks great but it is hard not having instant gratification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the serene feel of your bed already. I just know it will all come together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love white bedding! Can't wait to see what you do with your room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite white paint right now is Ben Moore 'White Chocolate.' Great re-purposing of the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love a white bedspread but how do you keep it clean with two kids? I don't have any kids yet so I might sound a little naïve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks so peaceful already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do your Euro pillows look so fluffy? Is it a special insert? Mine are a bit floppy :(. I love the white bedding, although can't commit with a dog that loves to roll in the bed too. Your room looks like such a relaxing space, and the map of Charleston is such a perfect addition - so resourceful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The insert is from Pottery Barn also. They look a bit floppy if not karate chopped. I've noticed that many Euro Shams are a bit larger than standard so you have to go with an even larger insert. Maybe that's the issue?

      I just purchased several online that were delivered air tight so I have 24 more hours to let them adjust so I'll give you a review on those once I fluff them and use them!

      Delete
  8. Looks very pretty and soothing. I get stressed just decorating an apartment with my boyfriend so I can only imagine a house. And I totally agree with you, I have so many ideas that sometimes I get overwhelmed instead of just moving forward and putting something together. Looking forward to seeing your progress! I always love your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the map looks lovely. And I love your bed! We have a betwixt pillow on our bed as well and I love it. And the idea of a white bedroom feels great to me - how about bm white dove?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good four post bed! Place is looking just lovely. So peaceful, classic and relaxing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you just write this or did I? You just took the words right out of my mouth! Just had a conversation, ok it was very one sided, with my husband this morning about my frustration when I go into stores to accessorize our home with-I finally figured out why-because I'm trying to accessorize without having the main pieces I want in our home, trying to work with our old furniture and it doesn't work! Trying to explain to a man that that I first need the walls and paint colors in place, the secondly need the furniture pieces in place, and then lastly the accessorizing comes into play, is like speaking greek to him…So….I'm still in a quandary and it makes me nuts because that's what I do, I decorate, I do projects, and when I'm not, I'm sort of lost! I love your bed, a 4 poster bed in on our list! And the pillow is great-need to spruce up mine so I'll check the site (since no new family room furniture is in the cards right now :-(. I of course adore the Chas print! I do the frame trick too, with thrift and GW frames, love vintage frames so it works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS white paints, have you tried BM Natural Cream? I've got about 100 pinned :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your room looks so fresh and peaceful……I think you should keep that wall treatment. It's working :)
    My favorite white is White Dove by BM…..not too stark, not too creamy, just perfect.
    Love your new art and that was a really cute idea for a Save The Date.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the peek into your Master. Yay for progress! I am tracking with you on paralysis caused by too many choices, fear of regret and limited budget. Here's to getting over it in 2014! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a Pawleys girl, my entire house is painted SW Decorators White. It is bright and airy- does not have cream or beige in it which I did not want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love that too! It's been our go-to for paneling, cabinets, and, trim in every house we've lived in!

      Delete
    2. Oops, i meant BM Decorators White. SW has a few good ones too.

      Delete
  16. Gaaaah. I love this bedroom so much.
    I don't think I'd ever get out of bed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohhh I love. That bed is gorgeous! I love the dark wood against the white. That's the same look we're going for. Can't beat the fresh and luxurious feel white bedding brings to a room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know I love this!

    P.S. I wish that I could say that the kiddos let you sleep later in life, but this isn't true. You wait up on them. Wonder what they are doing & who they are with no matter how many "talks" you have had. Parenting isn't for the squeamish. Once a parent, always a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely bedroom and photos! A real oasis. ANd I love art that is dear and near to your heart. I'm dying to go to Charleston after everything I heard. My friend and I are planning a trip in the summer with our kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! You must send me your dates so I can make sure to pop down to see you! I plan on spending a lot of time down in Pawleys this summer and its not from Charleston :)

      Delete
  20. I can't begin to explain just how much this post resonated with me (well, maybe not the kid part yet...we don't have kids) but I want you to know that sharing the frustration in wanting everything to be "done" so quickly makes me like you even more. It's tough wanting to prioritize every last detail but it's tough. There's only so much money in the bank, so many hours in a day and so much inspiration to go around.

    I, too, am trying to take things slowly because, like you said, I don't want to regret my decisions. You are on to the right track and are making great changes to your home. The framed save-the-date is gorgeous and resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seriously beautiful! I love the simple sophistication. I just told David yesterday that we need to pick up some plain white Euro shams to go with our current all white bedding. It doesn't get any more classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are currently on sale at pottery barn for $19 each. Down inserts are just $24 regular price!

      Delete
  22. Digging the simplicity. I just had all the walls painted a white in our new place and loved how they turned out - white with a hint of greige - it's PPG Palomino.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been hunting for a faux fur throw for our bed that doesn't break the bank and had been thinking either a leopard or creamy brown color...now you have me thinking white! I love the white on white look!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your inspiration picture for the master bedroom is great, and yours is coming together beautifully! Search for Guilana and Bill Rancic's bedroom. It was featured in Traditional Home. They, too, have a four-poster bed with white linens. The suite is paired with gorgeous grasscloth wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think you've just solved my frustration with my PB Essentials shams. It drives me nuts that they don't zip or fasten closed (I'm thinking of adding a button or velcro to solve that) but even more frustrating is that trim is so droopy and flops right over on top. I love the "karate chop" look you have going on. I think I'll switch out our extra-fluffy inserts for some softer ones I have on hand and give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the space--it is so calm and serene! I also wanted to thank you for keeping it real. Our master bedroom is a work in progress too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've nailed it in recreating the simple, traditional calm of your inspiration bedroom! I can't wait to see more steps along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your bedroom is so simple and serene, I love love a white bedroom. Thanks to our dog we can't have white bedding anymore but I dream about it one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk