January 27, 2014

NEW HOUSE: LIVING ROOM PROGRESS

Y'all keep asking to see more new house pictures so today I'm sharing a little bit of our formal living room.  It seems I'm not the only one who is working slowly and you appreciate seeing me decorate in stages.  Real budgets and real ideas take time.  This is what our living room looks like now but I have big dreams for where the space will end up one day.  

Our living room is huge.  It is very long and narrow like you see in most older traditional homes.  Such a large formal space just isn't practical for our lifestyle so we've broken the space up into three zones.  The bar.  The lounge.  And the study.  Using furniture to break up the spaces has really helped us to utilize the whole room which is nice.  No one wants a room that you only use twice a year.


My desk and our mail chest (where we keep bills) are all the way towards the back of the room in zone three.  We've got Tagg's train table in that area right now but that's not permanent.  This forces us to access this room daily.

Zone one is the pass through to the playroom and also where we keep our bar set up.  I use an old chest I found on craigslist instead of a bar cart because it holds more bottles.  I like how this gets people in this room when we entertain.

The middle area in front of the fireplace is zone two.  We've got a sofa and loveseat squared off with the wing chair to create a cozy nook facing the fireplace.  I don't plan on styling the coffee table.  Wells and Tagg are just too young to have things sitting out looking pretty at this age.  It's really just a space for making puzzles at this point.

PHASE 1
new matching end tables 
new coffee table (either lucite or an ottoman)
matching lamps
plant (I love the look of a fiddle fig but I need something low maintenance and less fickle)
window treatments. I'm leaning toward natural colored linen
reupholster cane chairs 
add sconces to the mantel

PHASE 2
built-ins on the far wall in zone 3 flanking the large picture window.
replace fireplace screen (perhaps add a gas insert)
reupholster sofa and loveseat

And just for reference, here is a look at the BEFORE pictures taken the day after closing.  This room needed the least amount of work.  We've painted everything in this room.  The walls, (BM Classic Gray), the ceilings (Lowes White Ceiling Paint), and the trim (SW Designer White).  We also added white wood blinds to the windows.  I'm still navigating the navy sofa and loveseat.  They came from my in-laws and are a great size and shape.  The dark color is out of my comfort zone but I'm okay with that. 




24 comments:

  1. It looks so good Julia! I love the bar area and that Flamingo picture is one of my favs! WE are slowly updating too because who has money to do it all at once!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you divided the room into zones. It really has nice flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the division (and I love what you used instead of the bar cart)! It looks great. What happened to the curved sofa? I'm sorry if you already mentioned it and I forgot! I always end up with toys in each room (in some form or another) bc my kids love being where I am and refuse to stay in another room without me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They stopped playing with the other toys in the playroom once the train table came in so we moved it back out for while for that same reason :)

      Curved sofa has been relocated to the family room for now. I think it's on the way out but I just can't bring myself to list it for sale.

      Delete
  4. I think your bar area is genius! So lovely. Great job on it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great!! Such a great way to divide up the room. I love the idea of using that chest as a bar cart- so much better than a traditional bar cart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about the slow, thoughtful journey -- I am on one of those over here too. Looks great. I love the artwork and the bar!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it all and want to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bar area is great and I luuuuurve those pink caned chairs ��

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your house is my dream house. It has the best bones. Amen to taking your time to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your patience, wish I had more! Love the gold framed artwork. Do you sell your own paintings?

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Real budgets and real ideas take time" -- amen to that, sister! I can't agree with you enough on that point. It is clear that you have a plan in mind, which is really smart. In the meantime, the changes you've already made (paint, blinds) are important and have an impact for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You all like to party!!

    Looks great Julia!
    xo~Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! My husband has a scotch every night after work but I can't even remember the last time I had a liquor drink. We're just good hosts :)

      Delete
  13. Everything's looking great so far! I love how you broke up the space and I'm sure the bar being in there makes the men especially congregate to that room during get-togethers.

    And I totally agree - I don't know anyone who can decorate everything at once. And even if you can, you'd have that "brand new" look and it wouldn't look collected and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great! I agree with you that everything takes time (and money!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the different zones and the bar chest instead of cart! Great craigslist find! Can't wait to see the room unfold with your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  16. From one real budget/real time girl to another - I think you are doing a great job. It took me six years to get my living room to a good point, but that's where the fun is I think. Your house has my all time favorite layouts, its so classic and versatile. You have done a great job with the living room I think and you've got great things to build on. Have fun with it sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh love love love. You are doing an amazing job. Once we find a house (hopefully soon) I will be taking notes from you! Btw, love that Lulu & Georgia rug!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julia, I love your living room! Really, I love it just as it is! Love the sofa pillows, the bar area and the pop of pink on those chairs! And for what it's worth, I've found my fiddle leaf fig to be anything but fickle! I expected it to be hard to keep alive, but a good amount of sunlight and minimal watering have worked great for me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite rooms are those broken into zones. Can't wait to see your design unfold.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the fabric on the pillows juxtaposed with the wingback chair upholstery. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is coming along..good work! I love the dogs on the hearth and that gold lamp!

    ReplyDelete

Hey Loves, let's chat!