JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

New House Progress: Kitchen

January 6, 2014

Matthew gave me a new faucet for Christmas.  I also got a dyson, but I'll save that for another post.  So grown up and mature right?  Back to the kitchen.  We've had a leaky faucet since we moved into our home.  Our kitchen is fine for now and we don't have any plans for a major overhaul any time soon so spending a ton of money on an glamorous bridge faucet just didn't make sense for now. 


This is our old white faucet.  I like the one handle design (if I can't afford a fancy bridge yet) and large scale.  Wasn't in love with the white color.  I prefer stainless steel in the under $250 category and chrome for all things fancy and shiny and pricey.  Like my coveted bridge faucet.


 It was pretty nasty under our old leaky faucet.  Matthew had a pretty hard time getting the old one off.  We were left with a hot mess underneath.  Most of what you see are scratches and didn't come off with good solid scrubbing.  Of course that limited our choice of a new faucet.  We want as much of that mess covered up as possible.  PHASE 2 involves a new sink, but that's for another day.


I thought I should show you a misstep we took.  In an effort to save as much money as possible in  PHASE 1 I told Matthew just to pick something cheap and chrome.  It wasn't horrible but I already didn't like it.  Too small.  The chrome looks cheap without all the fancy bells and whistles of a bridge.  Back to Lowes.


Bam.  He came home with the Peerless Stainless 1-handle pull down kitchen faucet.  At $129 it wasn't exactly free, but it's a nice upgrade from what we had before and it doesn't leak.  Two points for working.  I like it enough to be happy with it for five years or more while we wait on our dream kitchen.

Still left to do in PHASE 1:
1. Sand and paint the back splash wall
2. Select a color for the walls and paint them (front runners are BM Lancaster Whitewash and BM Edgecomb Gray)
3. Purchase and install range hood
4. Install remaining outlet covers
5. Re-install trim to the far wall that was removed during refridgetor installation
6. Select window treatment options and fabric
7. New hardware for the cabinets

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

34 comments:

  1. Looks great! Definitely like the 2nd new one better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last one for sure. It's clean and modern. Congrats. Its nice to take a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every little improvement feels like progress, right? It looks great. And bye-bye, leaking faucet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good! Small details can make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made the same misstep. Sometimes the faucet looks good in the showroom and way too small or big in the bathroom. Your kitchen is looking good. Love the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I'm loving your wreath. Now I want to put one up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! Ohhhhh…I'm having such a hard time purchasing items for our new home because we are also planning a kitchen update and elongating a wall from the foyer into dining room, so I don't know if I purchase things that work in the spaces now, or wait until we renovate. I hate to waste money. But, it looks so bare in it's current state. And things from our last house just don't work that well in this space. First world dilemmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I think I had that same white one in my kitchen when we first bought this house! I actually think we used it for about two years before I said ENOUGH! Like your new pick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Isn't it amazing what a small change can do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks nice. I like that you are showing us how pretty things that are in line with most people's budgets can be.
    I almost got a faucet for X-mas too. The one I chose was not under $200 and the whole thing snowballed to almost $1000 so I said forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new faucet looks great Julia. In our last house we installed a reallllly expensive faucet and it was such a waste of money. It's not like it changed our lives, and guess what, it broke and had to be replaced just about as soon as it was out of warranty (during a party no less). This one looks great and wasn't too bad on the wallet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I really wanted a dyson for Christmas too but just couldn't bring myself to ask for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you made a great choice. It looks great and I'm with you, no sense is spending big $$ until you make other changes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great how something so small can make such an impact. You chose wisely:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the new faucet looks great! And pretty much anything looks beautiful with your boxwod wreath and mini blue and white jar. Where did you get your island? It looks like a good size, but not too large. We're in desperate need of more prep space in our itty bitty kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! Amazing how much of a difference one little faucet can make.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have the EXACT same white faucet and I have been just itching to replace it. I love the new one, it's just amazing what a new faucet can do to the look of a sink!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great! You have such excellent taste.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smart move. My parents installed your first choice while they were waiting on a larger kitchen remodel (their old faucet was leaking as well) and ended up having to replace it after a year when it too started to leak. Sometimes you end up saving money in the long run by spending a bit more initially. I love the pull down sprayer too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow!! Look so so good! What a huge difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the you chose. Your kitchen looks pretty awesome already! lucky you! Good luck with your projects and have the best year ahead! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your kitchen looks great! Want to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks great....loving the faucet and the adorable wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Little changes can make all the difference...especially when they're budget friendly, haha!

    Our kitchen has about 0 personality and I really want to work on that, but it is so far from a priority right now...in the mean time I guess I will just ogle over gorgeous kitchens on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for sharing the details of this phase of your kitchen renovation. I think we all have dream kitchens, but since kitchens can be so pricey, it's great to see what improvements we can make until we can splurge on our dream fixtures. Your faucet looks great, and I can't wait to see what Cabinet hardware you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Still lots of things to do, huh? Well, one project at a time can lead you to your fabulous dream kitchen. With your list, you might still think of changing the paint, fixing cabinets, or moving furniture. Just do what you desire to dictate the mood of your kitchen. Good luck on the renovations! :)

    Traci Lawson @ BowValleyKitchens

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your faucet! Though I must admit that I love the first replacement. Hehe! Kidding aside, you still have lots of plans for your kitchen. Hope you won't forget to check the pipes there. Keep us updated with your future projects! :)

    Monica Ryan @ VillagePlumbing

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
    LolsGag.Com

    ReplyDelete
  29. It’s a stunning piece! It’s really different from how it looks in the showroom, isn’t it? One day, it’s the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen, but once you already have it in the kitchen, it just doesn’t mix well with the rest of the space. How’s Phase 1?

    Levi Eslinger @ CapitalPlumbing.ca

    ReplyDelete
  30. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. All Latest Hot Current Affairs, All Entertainment News updates, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Entertainment Videos, Funny Pictures, Fail Pictures, Troll Comics, Troll Images, lol Pictures, Mp3 Tunes and every thing you want...
    www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ohh That's Great Your kitchen looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk