JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Leather Sofa Styling & New House Family Room Progress

February 14, 2014

Y'all, I almost didn't make this post but I didn't want to miss two days in a row.  We're at day two of snow days this weeks and day three of my sinus infection.  Not awesome. 

Thanks so much for all your input on the fireplace.  I think y'all have convinced me to paint it white.  I'm still a bit nervous for the first brush stroke though.  Call me trigger shy.

I've been slowly tweaking our family room.  Just like our living room, this room is really long and narrow with two interior doors, one exterior door and a window.  Plus the fireplace and a wall of built-ins.  It really makes furniture placement challenging.  I'm basically just going against my better instinct and ignoring the fireplace as a central feature.  I haven't built out furniture placement around it at all.  I just didn't see a way to make it work without purchasing all new furniture. 

First up, the tv room.  It's the half of our family room located closest to the kitchen and the powder room.  I like the cozy feel of this area. My main concern is helping the leather sofa to feel more modern. The addition of lighter pillows with lots of texture has really helped to make it feel more modern.


I've mentioned before that this room is impossible to photograph.  We have a gorgeous old magnolia tree that pretty much shades the entire back side of our house.  And this room runs right underneath that.  I wanted to give you an idea for the space.  Just behind that really dark chair in the left hand corner is the fireplace.  Just to the right of this shot (next to the white table) is the doorway to the front hall.  That's why placing the couch across from the fireplace is near impossible.  It blocks the main entrance to the room.


Do you focus your furniture around the tv?  Is it above your fireplace?  That's our ideal but layout just don't work right now.  I like that we've created a small tv area and left the second half of the room (not pictured) as the library of sorts.  It really helps us utilize this space better.

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

17 comments:

  1. First of all I love your room and the leather sofa! I know you were wary about the sofa but I think it looks amazing in there!!! Our furniture is angled to the tv for the same reason. It would block everything to angle it around the fireplace. It works though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our living room/den is long too. We have the fireplace at one end and tv at the opposite end. The sofa is on the long wall in between the two. It's the only way we could make it work without buying new furniture. Unlike you, we are still searching for our "forever home" and want to put our house on the market when the weathe warms up. No more big purchases until we are in a new house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our living room is a square layout with a wall of windows so our couch doesn't face the tv and I like it! Our play area couch and tv directly face each other, but I like having a space not centered around a TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your sinus infection. (I feel your pain :() Can I just say that you are so good at the modern/trad mix! This room reminds me of our living room with all its doors, windows, tv, fireplace, etc. Our tv is above the fireplace currently which helped the flow and is comfortable for us, but I think it would look better somewhere else because it is the first thing you see when you enter our home. Feel better Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia, this room is beautiful! I'm sure that's one comfy sofa. My parent's have leather living room furniture and there's nothing like taking a nap on that cool leather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better!! Love how you styled the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok first I thought this room was straight out of a magazine, and I am not kidding!! Second sinus infections suck, hope it goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! Ours is above the fireplace...I'm usually not a fan of that but it just works in our den! Eventually, I think you should so float 2 sofas back to back in this room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The leather sofa looks great! Those picture frames above the sofa are perfect by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the color of your sofa!! I think it's looking fabulous in your LR!! XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love that leather sofa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - my heart skipped a beat when you said you are thinking about staining the cabinets. I was a bit sad when you said you wanted to paint them, but figured it's your house and was happy to play along with the color game. I hope staining works out - they are gorgeous.
    Modern Master Bathrooms

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the cheetah print pillows incorporated in! They complement the couch so well and the leather is so classic! What a great living room, you can really feel the Southern inspiration come through in your design

    ReplyDelete
  14. We definitely organize our furniture around the tv. Loving that leather sofa!
    xx Lexi, Glitter, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your furniture collection, its looking like very comfy sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the room décor and the way you utilized the space is wonderful. Unless it's a specific "media room," I actually don't like centering furniture around the TV. It turns the television into the focal point of the room, and I usually tend to try to *hide* the television. It makes actually watching TV a little less comfortable, but I like it that way because it discourages my kids from sitting in front of it for too long. :) I love your furniture. I've been checking out leather sofas at http://www.beliani.com/leather-sofas/ hoping to find something similar. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk