JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Friday Random

March 14, 2014

Hey y'all.  I feel like my brain has been in a million directions this week and I just can't stay focused.  Do you ever get like that?  I can't even believe we've made it to Friday so quickly.  All this sunshine is speeding life right up.  I've been adding a lot more to my plate this week and haven't figured out how to adjust. 

We've hosted three play dates and I've had dinner plans out of the house three different nights.  That's a lot of social for me.  I love it, but I'm heading into Friday realizing that some of my normal tasks have been pushed aside.  Mostly in the form of towering laundry piles in the upstairs bathroom and laundry room floor.


I've got a series of paintings that are 90% finished and I just can't find the energy to work on them.  It's not the desire.  Because I want to.  I love loading up my favorite stations on pandora and drinking a glass of wine or two and painting.  But I'm just finding my day is done the minute the kids are tucked into bed.  I want to change that.  And if I'm perfectly honest, I like leaving things slightly undone.  Then I never have to own it in a way the word finished creates.  If someone doesn't like it, I can hide behind the it's not quite finished yet flag.  I want to change that too.

I have some business goals that keep getting putt off until tomorrow.  It's time to give myself a swift kick in the butt and get on it.  It really is that simple, right?

How do you carve out more time for your day?  What are some of your tricks to staying up later?  And by later, I mean 8:00.  Let's be real.  Up until this point I've been living off of coffee in the first half of the day but switch to a strict no-caffeine regimen after noon.  I'm realizing that's not cutting it anymore.  I'd love your insight.  Your tips or tricks.  I'm not really in need of encouragement.  I'm pretty good at giving that to myself.  It's my execution that's lacking. 

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

13 comments:

  1. I am a "work until it's finished" kind of person, but lately I have changed my mindset to grab time where I can and simply make progress on a project or piece. In doing that I am finding that I am much more productive with my time, and feel more energized at the end of the day because I do not feel as spent, or weighed down by "all I have to finish". Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, friend as you can see in my post today. I think the whole problem is being on the edge of spring and wanting and needing sunshine and the winter behind us. Have a great weekend, and whatever you do with your family comes first and is most important, and to put your day to an end at 8 pm is probably what your body needs right now. xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no help because my bedtime comes early too. Some people are just early to bed and that's okay. Isn't it funny how a week (even it it's a good one) can throw everything off? You'll get your mojo back as soon as you tackle that pile of laundry ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having the same kind of week (evident by my lack of posts). Too many things going on (which is a great problem to have) and not enough time and energy to get it all done. I certainly don't have a fix for it, but I have been trying to add just one more thing to my daily 'list' and if I get that done, then I feel I'm getting things accomplished. Hope you can relax a bit this weekend mamma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see your artwork, I hope you'll be selling some!!! Well I have no tips because once I get my kids to bed around 7 ish, I put my jammies on and hop on the couch to pick up whichever series we are watching at that time…just can't find motivation to do anything constructive after a long day with 2 busy toddlers/babies! Have started reading at nap time now tho, which I had forgotten was so fulfilling! PS Thank you for your paint advice, I went with my gut, the B< Gray Cashmere and I love it. TGIF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate. I was doing the wine and paint at night after 8 but my sleep was totally messed up. Now I am painting in the morning (during preschool) and during stolen (TV is on) moments before 3. After that I move on to family time and cut out the wine because it either made me sleepy or wired and up until midnight.
    I am pulled in so many directions too, family, playtime, chores, VP of co-op gallery, my art, blog, etc. I just keep reminding myself that its good not to be bored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had just noticed how the warm weather and being outdoors has caused my laundry to back up. Not to mention cleaning in general! If you get any good tips please share - the one you shared about taking the effort to put dishes away after dinner has really made a big difference here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am exhausted with just one little one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl! Yu probably don't want to hear this, but twenty minutes of good exercise is the best way to ge a little more energy at the end of the day for me! I have two children both a couple months younger than your two and am in law school, so I can definitely relate to being exhausted and having too much work. It feels like the last thing you want to do when you have a thousand responsibilities is to ate time for yourself doing something that hurts, but somehow my motivation and energy last longer every day as long asi am doing it. Plus it helps me feel better when I'm working off some of the jiggly! Hope that helps, even though I know it hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey girl! Yu probably don't want to hear this, but twenty minutes of good exercise is the best way to ge a little more energy at the end of the day for me! I have two children both a couple months younger than your two and am in law school, so I can definitely relate to being exhausted and having too much work. It feels like the last thing you want to do when you have a thousand responsibilities is to ate time for yourself doing something that hurts, but somehow my motivation and energy last longer every day as long asi am doing it. Plus it helps me feel better when I'm working off some of the jiggly! Hope that helps, even though I know it hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you rested this weekend. It is hard to balance everything. I think 89% of the time (and its a totally scientific figure) I feel overwhelmed by the things I need to do...and they are all so different...I hear ya. Hey, I didn't realize you painted as well...you are multitalented my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the post lunch laziness, I too try to avoid caffeine, because it keeps me up too late (past 11pm). I heard about Nature Made Vita Melts - energy vitamin B. Seems to do the trick for getting through the rest of the afternoon and early evening.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk