JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

New House: Dining Room Progress | The Plan

March 19, 2014

I'm wanting to do just a few things to tweak our dining room.  It's one of the first rooms you see in our house and our pass through to get to the kitchen from the front of the house.  I'm loving how neutral it is right now but I want to kick it up just a notch.

We're sticking with core items in rich wood tones, like the table and cane chairs, secretary, and wood tone buffet.  They're all classic old pieces and I appreciate their stuffiness.  The walls are still classic grey and the windows are white linen panels for now.

The first picture is the view from the kitchen and the bottom is the view from the living room.  As  you can see there is a lot of visual space going on so I don't want to go overboard in any one room.  In reality they are very much defined areas but your eye can see them all at once too.  I need whatever is added to this room to visually work with the rest of the front of our home.  I need to use varying shades of the same color scheme in order to pull this off.  


  I'm just starting to feel brave and wanting to add in some more color.  I'd also like to bring down the formal feel just a notch.  I know some fresh new accessories can help do the trick.  I think sticking with our love for all things coastal will hit on both aspects perfectly.  The soft shades of aqua and blues will trickle in from the front hall.  Some lighting and accessories that don't take themselves too seriously are the perfect match for our more grown up table and chairs.

Couldn't you just love everything in this board?  I wish I could magically bring this wish list to life.  I like having a road map to keep me on track.  And this round-up confirms that there is indeed a subtle way to add in more layers and color without just randomly adding in more stuff.  And I like that the soft blues and greens are making there way from both the front hall and living room which you can see from all three spaces.



Layla Grayce Bungalow 5 Claire Light Blue Mirror | Wasabi Green + Mint Striped Taper Candles | Lulu & Georgia Lydia Lamp (set of 2) | Lulu & Georgia Gage Lamp | Furbish Studio Hollywood Print by Britt Bass | Rafia Runner | Wave Bowls | Palais Glass Hurricanes | Sailor Girl Rug, powder blue


Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

19 comments:

  1. That mood board is perfection and every last detail would be amazing in your already beautiful dining room!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love seeing your pretty house. I think a little dose of color would make the dining room a really happy space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In LOVE with that mirror! Mama is gonna have to start saving up for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to hear your intentional process! Your plan looks perfect and I love that the room's foundation is based on classic pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so good now but I love the changes you have planned as well. The mirror and the rug are by far my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go for it! What a great plan for a room with an already-beautiful foundation.

    P.S. Love the first picture--such a great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving everything in this board too! Especially that gorgeous mirror and the pretty artwork! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you nailed it mamma. This is a great plan and will look wonderful with the rest of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it all!! My front door lights are the same as your foyer (but mount flush to the wall). My husband and I bought an older fixer-upper, and I am having a hard time calming down the formal feel of the home and much of our antique furniture. You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this all gels so well with what i think to be your signature - will look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the inspiration! That art will add a great pop of color and love that you're layering in texture with the rug! I've been coveting those lamps for some time. All great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I love it! The mirror needs to be yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While I love the artwork, I like the ones you paint! You are talented! You haven't mentioned painting in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your blog, but this might be my 1st post ;). Check out he Zoey double gourd lamps on overstock. Exact same lamp for $177 (for pair). I bought hem and didn't love the color of the shade but easily exchanged for a different style by the same brand (safavieh). Hope that helps on getting the lamps from mood board to dining room! (Sorry about typos...iPad is acting up and won't let me correct anything)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love every single thing on that board. And your home is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your lovely home. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That artwork is amazing I bet you could paint something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. AND this is why you are my design idol...traditional with a good dose of sass and color! You also know I am loving that swan on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing like the thrill of taking the reins on a new place, especially one that's now all yours. Lots to do, things to check out, and spaces to place your own brand of home upon. It's something that mere rental cannot provide, mainly because it would all seem too temporary, and thus fleeting. Good luck with that, and maybe you can check out Las Vegas as well, if you have the resources for another home.

    Craig Tann Group

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk