April 11, 2014
It's been a trying week friends. Wells isn't feeling well and she's gone completely crazy. She's 3.5 going on 13, I swear. It's out of character for her usual sweet self. She yells, she slams doors, she "quits our family", uses curse words (ooops, my bad. I most definitely never drop the eff bomb), and overall refuses comfort. Tagg, in return, gets super clingy which is actually hard to do for a Velcro baby. I didn't realize we could actually be any closer without him official climbing back into the womb. My allergies are acting up and I'm hormonal. Oh yeah, and we left yesterday for a week at the beach without my husband. Can you sense the dread in my voice.
The truth is I'm just not looking forward to spending six days alone with them. I know it will be fine once we get there. And get on the beach. And see old friends. And drink lots of wine. It's just hard vacationing as a single mom. It's hard doing much of anything with a two year old and a three year old.
Can any of you relate? Do you ever get away with just the kids and leave your husband behind at work? I'm actually used to being a one-woman show most of the time so the missing few hours of co-parenting won't be that big of an adjustment. And there is nothing a little salt water and sand can't fix. And we're making memories. So setting out on these adventures is always worth the extra work.
I don't want to leave this post full of negativity so I thought it would be fun to list 5 random things about myself. A different twist on five for friday.
1. I always buy myself donuts when I bulk grocery shop. I usually eat at least 2 or 3 on the ride home. I buy allergy approved treats for the kids too so I can relish my treat in peace.
2. I'm obsessed with Perrier slim cans and La Croix sparkling water. I have at least one every afternoon. I never drink soda so this is my vice.
3. I prefer to sit on porches and boats and look at the ocean over actually getting sandy.
4. I still haven't bought a new coffee maker after our discussing a few weeks ago. I have my mind made up but I just can't pull the trigger. I'm this way with so many things. I'm not indecisive just trigger-shy.
5. I almost never go anywhere but pertinent errands, school, church, playdates, and playgrounds with my kids. Always with a 2 hour limit. Asking anything else of them or myself is just entirely too overwhelming. I know our limits and I don't push them. I don't really do anything of the things that a SAHM should do. I know we're all happy for it. I think our culture expects too much of mothers.
Okay, so how was that for an off-topic post. I promise to get back to pretty shoes and lip gloss in no time.