JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Allergy Update. Finally some good news!

May 23, 2014

I mentioned this morning that we were headed to the allergist to hopefully find some insight into Tagg's two recent allergic reactions.  I tacked on the appointment for Wells as an after thought.  I asked if we could just have them both seen at the same time because she would be with me regardless.  I knew we were scheduling a consult visit and not a testing specific visit.  But our doctor wanted to run some new tests on Tagg and throw some old ones up on Wells since we hadn't challenged the testing for her in over a year.

Well, Tagg is about the same.  He can now have strawberry and showed a small reaction to tomato, which is new.  But basically, no news is being received as good news today.

And Wells?  Not a single bump or redness on her back, aside from the histamine control.  She was cleared of her allergy to corn, pork, rice, dairy, egg, and peanut.  God is so good.  All of them.  The foods, not God.  Just one of Him, in my opinion.  We're going to isolate and start reintroducing those foods back into her diet one at a time to be certain no reaction occurs.

Some of y'all have all too much of an idea of what raising kids with allergies is like.  I'm so sorry for that.  It's single-handedly one of the most challenging things I've encountered yet in motherhood.  To separate your children from the pack because of restrictions every where we go.  Everywhere.  Limiting and avoiding restaurants and parties (hello, how many ice-cream socials do you know that stock the table with dairy-free alternatives?  Not very easy to pack some soy ice-cream sandwiches in your bag) sucks.  Rushing off to find a vegan alternative because you find out someone brought cupcakes to school and you don't want your babe to feel left out.  Of course with Tagg still allergic we'll pretty much be a dairy free, egg free, and peanut free house.  But I think it's going to make our private dates with our girl that much more fun!

I'm hopeful we'll get the same report for Tagg in a few years.  And we're armed with antihistamines and epi-pens in the mean time.  We are seriously off to a good holiday weekend start!

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

13 comments:

  1. That is such good news! How old were your kids when they first did the allergy testing? I've told you before, but HDawg is also allergic to dairy and eggs... welts up the face when it even comes near him... but his peds have always said he's too young for official testing. Maybe now that he's 20 months old he's old enough? Then two nights ago we had taco night at home- no dairy or eggs in sight, just refried beans, tomatoes, avocado and onions for him... foods he's had a MILLION times before- and he welted up. Luckily Benadryl calms it down but it's still scary. Did your kids ever develop an allergy to a food they were okay with previously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. girl, bypass your pediatrician and straight for a pediatric allergist. And consider getting a new pediatrician. I am shocked they would tell you that. Tagg tested at 12 months and that's not really very early. I'm emailing you now. And be careful with refried beans, they have dairy :0

      Delete
    2. Yes! Bypass and go to the pediatric allergist. They tested my 4 month old when he was having such breathing issues. Thankfully, we were in the clear, but a good allergist and pediatrician should be PROACTIVE!

      Delete
    3. Ten June-I think you live in Atl, right? Dr. Seidu at OMNI Allergy is a wonderful pediatric allergist. Several friends of mine see him as well. My youngest was tested at 11 months.

      Delete
  2. I keep a bag of candy in my closet at school filled with candy the allergy kids can have if we have birthday treats. That way the moms don't have to send something every time we have a treat. Is there something you could send to school for a special treat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful news for Wells!! I hope Tagg follows as well! Happy weekend, you deserve good news after the crazy scary weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia, Glad to hear that you are getting some answers. We had a similar challenge. Best wishes on figuring it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wonderful news! You give me hope! Do you know what classes/levels Wells was for each food? My youngest was tested at 12 months and has an egg, milk, and peanut allergy. I'm praying we outgrow it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful news about Wells. Hopefully the same will happen with Tagg eventually. My 7 year old is peanut/ tree nut allergic. Even after 4 years, we are still always cautious outside the house. But I have gotten bolder with asking questions and bringing my own food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations on Well's good news and getting to have strawberries now, perfect timing for the season. Have a great weekend.
    xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for Wells! I am sure Tagg will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So amazing! This post made me tear up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk