JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Cute Mom Style: Shorts + Tee

May 19, 2014

I know it seems like I talk about clothes on here a lot lately.  And while that's true, I promise this isnt' turning into just a fashion blog.  It's just that I've had a lot of conversations with new mom's lately about how to get the heck out of your elastic waisted pants post babies.  I'm a firm believer in your own ability to turn a situation around, mind over matter style.  As in, yes I still matter.  Yes, I may spend 99% of my time dirty and on the floor.  I may reach over and pick up babies, well toddlers now in my case, and wipe counters, and sit on dirty park benches for the majority of my day.  I might not be able to afford to ruin a pair of $150 white jeans and a designer blouse at chic fil a, because let's be real, that's where my lunch dates occur.  Okay, if I'm being really honest, I may not be able to afford it period.  A $300 outfit can buy me a year's worth of clothes for my kids.  Both of them.  But I refuse to look like motherhood and it's constant demands are overtaking me.  I'm not a sinking ship and I shouldn't look as desperate as I sometimes feel.


So back to the mom chat.  There are a few really easy ways to look pulled together and still be 100% washable and affordable.  I know everyone's version of affordable is different.  I'm not talking extreme couponers here.  Just a realistic approach to getting dressed with little kids with time and budget restraints in mind.  Looking and feeling good while you're in the carpool line or grocery shopping.  Not being embarrassed if a neighbor stops by.  Baby steps.


First up.  Shorts and tee shirts. (currently 25% off with code: PACKME).  I've also had awesome luck with these shirts and shorts too.  I live in this brand because I've found the prices to be comparable (especially when on sale) to other cheaper stores and the quality to be superior.  They wash and wear and don't stretch out or lose their shape as much as some others.  I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with new target tee shop either.


 I'm not even going to explain.  You probably have it in your closet already.  The trick to looking polished and not like you're on a safari?  Skip the khakis and basic white and pair two vibrant colors together.  Color + Color equals chic.  Take a note from j.crew and mix this shiz up.


For the love, do not pair this with all-terrain sandals or tennis shoes.  I know your toddler can run laps in the playground, mine can too.  But this is not the amazon. Get a pair of pretty metallic sandals.  Like this pair or this pair.  If you can't jusitfy a designer splurge, check out the selection at Target.  Your husband won't even notice the extra $15 on the bill.



And finally, add a statement necklace.  (I'm wearing this one above, and this one is really similar).  This one explains itself as it takes you from target to drinks with girlfriends to dinner with your husband.  Did you realize that if you throw it on over a $12 tee it will bring your whole look to life?


See this is simple.  Just like the little ones we're raising, baby steps get us where we want to be.   You don't need to spend and hour perfecting your beach wave curled hair to feel really good about yourself.  Just part your hair and throw it in a pony tail.  If you want some quick tips on five minute make-up, check out this post here.  I hope you found this post helpful, and not condescending.  Sometimes it's just nice to know we can make it work.

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

25 comments:

  1. You are adorbs. I love my Jcrew tee shirts and live in them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you!!! I wish I looked as cute as you in a t-shirt and shorts....hottie mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this! I absolutely adore designer brands and getting all dressed up.... but 5 minute makeup and shorts and tees are just really what works. And I do need to put in the effort. Again - only 5 minutes! Thanks for making it REAL on here! Even if you can afford the expensive stuff, if you have nowhere to wear it, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl you looks amazing! I wish I had your legs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that I am addicted to plain white Ts with everything. Thanks for the reminder to add a cute necklace. I think it really elevates plain and boring to cute and pulled-together.
    P.S. You DO look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer outfit perfection! You look so pretty...loving all these colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer staples over here! Glad you are doing more fashion posts - you are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say, I enjoy your fashion posts. I don't spend a fortune on clothes, and I get very discouraged (and quite frankly confused as to where these people get all this money) when I see other bloggers talk about all the expensive things they buy. Honestly, I think your clothes/style look much cuter than all of the expensive trendy things, but then again I don't do trends. I like classic styles that you can wear year to year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love simple and basic pieces that you can dress up with fun accessories to change the whole look of the outfit! Your necklace is super cute too!


    Xo, L
    www.simplylowcountry.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for such an awesome post! It is very refreshing to see affordable options, especially for mothers! Love all of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. jcrew has the cutest shorts! great roundup
    xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous post! I just looked in the mirror and I am wearing khaki JCrew shorts with a white shirt! Whoops! I LOVE the pairing two vibrant colors together! That is more my style & I should embrace it! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post and will be taking your advice! I love the part about khakis and white shirts bc I wear that far too often and feel pretty un-stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also like "mix this shiz up" :)

      Delete
  14. Fun post! I started adding JCrew chino shorts to my summer wardrobe last year & love them for many of the same reasons you mentioned. Bravo momma!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since we moved I've become obsessed with JCrew Factory. There's one not 10 minutes from our house - it's kinda becoming a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am cracking up! And this is my summer uniform. But you and your skinny legs look much cuter than I do! And I promise I'm not wearing all terrain sandals or tennis shoes! Lol! For the love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looove this post!! I totally wish I could pull of the shirt and shorts uniform of summer as well as you!! Please keep the mom style posts coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look adorable Julia! I love your fashion posts. I need to pick up a few of those colorful tees for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! Now what earrings and diaper bag do you recommend to go with this uniform? I'm serious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great post--I have about 10 of those tees and six pairs of those shorts! They are the best and such a good mom uniform. I find that adding a simple accessory makes it look so much more polished! I love all of your necklace picks from BaubleBar. Their prices cannot be beat and today they actually have a sale so all necklaces are 30% off with code SUMMERSTATEMENT ;) Think I might pull the trigger on one of them! And your sandal picks are too cute--I love the TB Millers and have the same Sam Edelman gold ones! They are so comfy and yet still look pulled together. Sorry for the rambling! Love your posts as always!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, "There are no ugly women, just lazy ones." As mom's we often forget to take a little time and work on ourselves.

    Also, one of my summer staples is a pair of gold Sperry topsiders for times when I need more arch support (like a day at the zoo).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally fab. I am right there with ya. I just bought some cute tees at The Loft and some skinny pants (that actually look good on gals with hips) and also a cute new bracelet and I feel like a new woman. Thanks for your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This look is so cute! It reminds me of my grandmother (in a good way). She was a tomboy with an amazing figure and always wore short shorts and a polo. I'm in the process fo buying a whole new wardrobe because I lost all my baby weight and then some. I need inexpensive and durable right now for sure. I'll pay a little more for a quality, flattering tee any day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Top 7 Expensive Cars Info and Wallpapers
    TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk