JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Coffee Talk

June 3, 2014

So I feel like I've had so much going on the past month that I haven't filled you in on.  I'm not really sure today is the right day because I'm still not sure how I fully feel about either thing.  I like to really process things in my head before I share them but I know writing about them will help me get there.  So I can't guarantee this will be the last post to see about my ramblings.

Both are good things.  Both are making strides in a forward direction.  But still, change is hard.


We're selling our house in Pawleys.  In fact we close in about two weeks.  This is bittersweet for so many reasons.

I started my blog because of that house.
I bought that house with my fiance and moved into it with my husband.
I suffered a miscarriage in that house.
I threw my first grown-up dinner party in that house.
I got pregnant and brought home my first baby to that house.
We laughed and smiled and cried and lived the first two years of marriage in that house.
We packed up and moved our life away from that house.
Yet we still came back.
For Holidays and vacations and quick trips into town to celebrate friend's babies and marriages.

I feel like so much of myself was packed up and moved along with our boxes when we came to Richmond three years ago.  Wow, three years ago.  I've lived in Richmond as long as I lived in Pawleys Island now.  But it was nice to have a piece to go back to.  Something that felt less final and more of a transition, which I prefer.  So even though it's been another baby and two houses and three years later, I feel like we're finally leaving Pawleys Island.


And now for the second nugget.  I started a new job this week.  A super flexible transition into the workplace no-suit required kind of job.  But still, an official I answer to someone else job.  I'm excited.  I'm nervous.  I know the babes are ready.  I know I can be too.  This job will only physically take me away from them a few hours a week really and on a very flexible schedule.  If I could schedule that to be from 4:30-7:30 daily I'd have jumped ship years ago.  Just kidding.  Kind of. 

Most everything can be done from home.  Which isn't that different from my current routine in front of the computer.  I'm energized by the idea of stretching my brain in a more consistent manor.  I'm feeling invigorated by the idea of being useful to someone besides my family.  Is that weird?  I had a conference call yesterday afternoon where I got to exercise some of my expertise and I felt like a badass.  I wanted to shout, SEE! I'm good for more than filling up soy milk bottles and cleaning up snacks! 

If I'm totally honest, I wasn't remotely interested in "going back to work." I love my life and I love being a full-time stay at home mom.  This blog here gives me so much.  It fills my creative needs completely and fully validates my self outside of motherhood. I didn't go out looking for this job it just sort of found me.  But I'm so glad that it did.

I know you're wondering what the heck I'm doing but I think I'll save the full extent of that for another post once I've processed my thoughts a bit more.


Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

26 comments:

  1. Wow, talk about a lot going on and some big changes! But, I agree, I think everything here that is happening for your family is good in its own way. I remember looking at the photos of your house on Pawley's- oh what a darling little home!

    Congrats on the job! I can totally understand where you're coming from and you'll be great at whatever it is.

    Thinking of you and your sweet little family.

    Xo,L
    simplylowcountry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I am in the process of trying to buy my first place and boy is it an emotional roller coaster. Good luck with the new job and new house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about having to fully let go of your old house but congrats on a new chapter. Change always freaks me out but it's also really exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such big changes but I'm sure many more good things to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely big changes! Change always scares me, but I'm always glad I did it in the end. It can bring many good new things to us that wouldn't have been had we stayed the same. Congrats and I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lots of exciting changes going on my friend!!!! saying goodbye to a house is so hard and i totally understand..especially when so many memories and life experiences took place there and you made it into a home. and YAY for the new job!!! i can absolutely relate on feeling a bit more validated when you're using your brain and your education and i have no doubt you will knock it out of the park! OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Change can be a great thing, but hard at the same time. Best of luck with your new job, and hoping the things get a little easier emotionally with letting go of your home. You will always have those great memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are going to kick butt at the new gig, they are lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!!! Thats super exciting! And you can still go back to Pawleys only you won't have to worry about doing homeowner things now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a huge post!! I'm sure your mind is all over the place with these two large changes coming so close together. Wishing you the best in both changes - and it sounds like you are seeing the positive in everything right now. I can't wait to hear more about the job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!! I cried so hard when we left our townhouse where we lived for 5 years and started our lives together- funny thing is I had come to hate so much of it but it was so full of memories it was hard to leave. So exciting about the job opportunity too- it will nice to use your brain for more than just "mom stuff" Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so awesome, Julia! Good luck with your new job! And I'm totally the same with our house. I know it's small, but we've made so many memories here (eight years worth - a dog and four babies). I'm kind of in too deep to look for a larger house because I've become so attached. Renovating seems to be what we'll end up doing eventually.

    At least now when you head back to Charleston you'll have an excuse to stay at some fun places in town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. congratulation! isn't it funny where life takes you when you aren't looking. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. so excited for you and all the positive change!! sounds like you'll get the best of all worlds! congrats, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on both! I know you'll rock the new job! I recently started a very part time, very flexible job about 3 months ago after 3 1/2 years being home full time with my children and LOVE feeling productive again. Best of Luck to you...can't wait to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure that selling the house is very bittersweet! That part of the country is my favorite place in the world! But you new job sounds super exciting and flexible which always good with the kiddos.Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Change is always scary and exciting all at the same time! I'm so excited for you and all of these fun changes!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing! What a darling home filled with such happy memories! Best of luck to you all in RVA, one of my favorite cities in virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! All so very exciting! I'm excited for you!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Selling your first real home can be so bittersweet. The job thing is awesome, it is good for us to do something just for us:) Proud of you friend and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many memories with your first house! I've seen a lot of prints lately that re-create the look of your house with a picture and you could frame it. Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an exciting new chapter for you! Only good things ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so sad to finally see a house go, especially one that holds so many sweet memories... and is in such a fabulous spot. I grew up at the beach and still have pains of my mom selling my childhood home (12+ years ago) and of course selling the house my husband and I bought while engaged and had our first baby was almost just as hard. I hope you make so many more sweet and wonderful memories in your VA home(s). And congrats on the job, sounds like a dream job if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll miss your Pawleys house. Your living room is still one of my favourite transformations. But change and moving forward and stretching our brains is good. Its all good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like whoa. Catching up here. Lots of changes. I feel like we need a chat session.

    ReplyDelete
  26. With every new home you will forge such a deep bond... Just you wait! ;) Change is good... The next will be your children's favorite. This is the one they'll grow up with and the one they''ll make all their deep friendships in. What an exciting time for you too! I grew up in the DC area and went to school in Lynchburg, VA. Loved it and adore Richmond! You will have so much fun with so much history at your fingertips! :) Hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk