JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Tonsillectomy

August 27, 2014


 Our sweet little man is having his tonsils and adenoids removed this morning.  I feel really prepared mentally and physically and I think we've prepped him as much as you can a little monkey who's barely 2.5.  I'm really thankful to so many of you who emailed me or commented to share your own stories and advice after this post.   We are prepped with movies, popsicles, and lots of blue jello!  It sounds like late this weekend is when things might seem to go downhill before getting better.

After our terrible scare on Friday afternoon I'm just ready to have the anesthesia part behind us.  His little system has been through a lot these past few days.  In case you don't follow on instagram, Tagg had a severe reaction to a bag of PLAIN M&Ms he accidentally ate at a neighbor's house and suffered from anaphalaxis.  I had to administer the EPI Pen on the side of the road en route to the Emergency Room.  I'm honestly still processing that whole episode and have been trying to write a post that I hope to share soon.

Anyway, extra prayers for my little buddy this morning.  He's just the sweetest little guy and I pray his teeny tiny wobbly little toddler voice doesn't change too much.  I'm not ready for him to grow up too fast.  I'm sure I'll be giving an update via instagram.  The surgical center is located literally right next door to a Starbucks so I'll be amped up on caffeine and I'm anxious.  That's a dangerous combination for my sweet silent husband.

UPDATE
His surgery went well and we are home recovering.  Everyone prepared me for the heartache of watching them suffer post anesthesia but it really is just as bad as they say.  He was visibly shaking in the nurses arms and immediately melted into me and fell asleep.  He woke up pretty upset and ready to get home.  He's not doing so well with drinking so they sent us home with an IV.  A home health care nurse will be by tonight and again in the morning to handle the medical aspects of that.  He wanted to get in bed with me and snuggle for the first hour or so we were home.  He woke up pretty cranky again and refuse his Thomas movies and trains.  This is a new low for him.  About thirty minutes ago he got really upset and asked to go to his room.  He didn't want to lay down or get tucked in.  He didn't want his trains.  He didn't want the ipad.  He asked me to leave.  I have never in my life felt so sad.  I hugged him and told him I would give him some privacy.  I checked on him a few minutes later and same scene.  He's finally stopped whimpering but is just sitting up in bed looking sad.  I popped downstairs to get some lunch and a reality break.

I thought it might be helpful to just update this post as the days go on so there is just one long post rather that several if anyone is looking for information on our experience at a later time.

Thanks for the prayers y'all! xo

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

22 comments:

  1. Praying for you and this sweet boy today!!! Sending lots of love and hugs friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers to you, your family and sweet little Tagg today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Prayers!! He will do great, enjoy some snuggle time today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of well wishes headed your way for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers!! Good luck today, Tagg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending prayers to your family today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you all and your lil man! And I'm so so sorry that happened on Friday, we deal with food allergies as well, have you all tried Culturelle for Kids? My son's allergies are going away/levels going down, and I wonder if it's in part due to the Culturelle his drs put him on. Thinking of you all today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending prayers to you and your sweet little man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sending good vibes your way sweetie! let us know when he's out and oK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, poor baby and poor mama. My oldest son Will had his T&A when he was almost 3 and it was very traumatic for all of us. Waking up from anesthesia was horrible and he almost ripped out his IV and I could hear him screaming from the waiting room. At the time I had a 2 month old baby and it was just more than I could handle hearing him like that. I thought he would sleep all day due to the pain meds but they seemed to have the opposite effect. The worst thing for us ( in my experience) was that he refused to take the pain medicine. We were given a script for liquid hydrocodone, antibiotics and a steroid I think. He flat out freaked out and we would have to sit on him and give him the medicine. In hind sight I wish we would've gotten the pharmacist to put a yummy flavor in the pain med and it was so stressful I almost downed the bottle of pain medicine myself. ;-) I was told to stay on top of the pain meds and we couldn't even get them down him. We tried everything. Tried to put it in ice cream, etc. Let's just say it was a LONG week and he lost 4 lbs. He was a big boy to begin with. I think he weighed 43 lbs so it didn't hurt him, but after the first week, we turned a corner and he was still not the same spunky boy but about 2 weeks later he was good to go. We had had trouble with sleep apnea and he never wanted to sing, say his ABC's and I had been really worried about that. All of his friends were talking really well, etc. The dr. said his tonsils were so big he called them kissing tonsils. Do you know that within 2 weeks of having them removed, he was singing his ABC's, his speech improved and he started talking a lot more. I had been so worried that he was delayed in learning and all along his tonsils were so big it affected his voice and talking. Praying for him and especially for patience for you. THere were times that I really lost my cool with him not taking medicine and it's not something I am very proud of. He's never had strep throat since and he's 9 years old now. Sending positive vibes your way and stay on top of the meds b/c when the anesthesia and morphine or whatever they gave him finally wears off, he will really be sore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so much more to reply. But first, thank you! He is WIDE AWAKE but zoned out and fussy. He won't lay down either, just sits up staring into space. The hydrocodone burns I heard and smells awful. He gets his second dose from me in 30 minutes and I pray it goes smoother. He came home with an IV so at least I'm not as stressed about dehydration. This recovery so far is NO JOKE. Tonight is going to be rough but at least we're getting closer to the finish line! Xo

      Delete
    2. Julia, I've been thinking about y'all. How is the little guy doing? I haven't looked at blogs in a few days but this comment page was still open so I just wanted to check in on y'all. Hope yall are making it!!!

      Delete
  11. Praying and thinking about you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you and your family! I had my tonsils and adnoids out at a very young age too, and I was in the childcare unit overnight, it is very lucky they did his out-patient! Prayers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh...praying for your sweet boy and for you mama and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers for him and hugs to you! It will be better soon.
    - Linda, NY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor little guy :( There is nothing worse than seeing your child like that. He'll get back to himself before too long. Still praying for you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear he's having a rough time - hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sending you good thoughts on the recovery!! Being a mama is no picnic some of the times. But I bet he is never happier than when he is with you. He is lucky to have such a sweet mama.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've checked today a few times for an update, just looked a comments. Praying for a restful night for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Prayers for all of you. I know this must be so tough on you. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk