JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Grateful Heart

September 19, 2014


In this online world of show and tell it's easy to get caught up in a climate of consumerism.  Buy this, wear that, wishes, wants, etc.  But I don't think that really tells the story that so many of us are living.  It's more fun to talk about pretty pillows and new shoes.  As I learned the hard way, old clothes gives people the sads just as quickly as seeing someone else in new.  You really can't win.  But there are so many behind the scenes parts of all of us that are comprised of so much good that have nothing to do with stuff.  So many blessings counted.  But to be honest, sometimes it's really annoying to read someone's list of #blessed.  Let's face it we all have first world problems around here and our list of what we're thankful for can sometimes read just as bad.  Like making a list and adding the first two items just to have some thing to check off.  Look at me, look how good I was this week.  It's judged just as quickly as a list of what you bought or where you went.  We are all so quick to judge how we spend our time as quickly as our money.  And more often than not, we are the ones judging ourselves the most.  Was I enough this week?  Why didn't I accomplish more.  Wasted time.

I'm sure many would find my days to be pretty boring.  Some days I'm bored.  Some days I pray for some easy boringness.  And you know what, I am so thankful for that.  I am really embracing the ordinary of my life.  This season of loving on babies, and fixing meals, and slipping in work between quiet moments.  This is my life and I'm proud of it.

So I'm not going to give you my list of wants this week or my run down on what makes my life truly full.  I'm just me today.  Drinking my coffee, hopping on the computer for a few minutes to write and look around before I start getting some work done.  The babes are on the couch eating pizza (homemade vegan pizza so that's not as bad right?) and watching a movie because I'd rather pay netflix than a babysitter this morning.  Some work men are out front cutting down a few pine trees in front of our house.  Man I wish that money could have gone into the Mommy Needs A Quiet Vacation Fund.

Speaking of adding to funds, both fun and necessary, work is about to really start gearing up.  My photography business really takes off in the fall and it's already been busy this past month.  October and November are the busiest.  My marketing job is also about to really start gearing up.  As I mentioned before I had the luxury of starting off really slow.  Well now is the time where it's about to switch gears.  I'm feeling more prepared now that I have two designated mornings child free to be in the office.  But I know I'll need more time than that in order to get my work done without staying up all night.  I feel like a weird hybrid of stay-at-home-working-mom.  There are so many of you who fall into this category, any advice?  I feel like it's hard to give either my full attention sometimes. 


I'm sorry for the random and not very well thought-out post today.  My brain is scattered in a lot of directions today.  I was up super late last night, almost mid-night, hanging out on a neighbor's deck with some other ladies in my neighborhood.  Such a restoring night.  I guess I am happy to publicly say I'm #blessed and #thankful after all. 



Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

13 comments:

  1. Don't apologize for this post, it's perfect and well said. It's very easy to get down about someone's list of unattainable wants and think, I could never have all that or how could they have that all? Which isn't a productive thought on either end, but of course being a person who blogs her 'wants' from time to time, I also understand how it can be a fun outlet to mark down and catalog your wishes, whether you attain them or not. Wasn't that the point of that Secret book, to make the wishboards or moodboards to be reminded of your direction and inspiration. Now I'm rambling. ;) No advice on the job front, I just started getting two free mornings a week and still seem to be just as unproductive as I was before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much needed post in this crazy blog world! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these kinds of posts. Couldn't agree more with what you said. It's damned if you do damned if you don't on the internet these days. No advice on job front but it sounds like things are getting busy which is always something to feel thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice, refreshing post. Good luck as work picks up! I, too, am loving the ordinary life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this and it's so true...everyone compares themselves to everyone else and what everyone else is doing. But at the end of the day you have to be content and happy with yourself and just be you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so me! Home with babies and loving it, but on a budget and comparing myself to friends who had nicer things, better clothes, etc. Their kids were in soccer lessons and music groups and they took trips to the museum. I felt lucky to get everyone dressed and myself showered. But they worked, and I didn't and I wouldn't trade it for anything. And now that my kids are older, I miss that life -- things were so simple then! Naps and snuggles and walks around the neighborhood before dinner and play groups...I miss them! It gets crazier, trust me. My point is, everyone feels that way at some point. We are all "haves" in someone else's eyes, we just need to see it ourselves. Hang in there, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this is why I love your blog! I hesitate to start blogging for just the reasons you mentioned. I don't think I'm strong enough for the people that would judge me or my family. But I love the idea of connecting with other like minded people and being able to inspire others. You are an inspiration to mothers and bloggers with your creativity and your humility. Nothing more boring than seeing they same pair of shoes on everyones blog on their wish list and must haves, I'm sure its easy to get caught up in this life style. Thanks again for being true and sharing your life and what works for your family. Isn't that what we all are looking for really anyway? People that inspire and help us to be better people. Back to the ordinary too, and I couldn't be happier with it. Many blessing to you and your family!!! Mwah xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, you are so refreshing! Don't apologize for anything, loving your blog more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that flamingo print ....have it pinned too. As for the post topic, I couldn't agree more. I think you would really enjoy the book, Gift of the Ordinary Day. I feel it is a must read for all moms. Have a great weekend!
    Xo-
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Long time follower and LOVE this post! I am a realtor - more part-time right now since my son is not in school yet. My best advice for the stay-at-home/working mom is give yourself some grace. I also make sure my week is scheduled out Sunday evening. That way I'm prepared for Monday morning. It's hard to sometimes balance both so I have to remind myself its only a short while and my son will be in kindergarten next year and then I can focus more on building my business. I will admit I sometimes feel inadequate when I read every other blogger that posts "buy this...look at my new fall wardrobe..." but then I stop myself really quick and realize this is only a phase, I won't get these years back with my son, and closing the next deal is not as important as being in the present with my family. Best of luck during your busy season and thanks for being so open :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being a "hybrid" is so hard because you still feel like you have to be full-time at both being a mom and work...and the fact is you can't. Try and stick to a schedule and cut yourself some slack if one day you totally break the rules and opt for a play date at the park rather than answering emails. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also do some part-time work from home and it picks up when school does and I am not loving the stress that has come with it. I agree that making a schedule for the week really helps me stay on task. I know I want to get in a workout and X number of hours each day and I figure out how to work it in around play dates, park, etc. Getting up early and getting an hour and a half of work in before my kids wake up really helps and then I try to get some work in during nap/quiet time. By 8p, I'm exhausted so working at night hasn't been a very productive option. Good luck--it will all work out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have totally been in your shoes with weird stay-at-home-working-mom thing. I kind of still am but I have a lighter work load than I have in the past. I don't really have any magic advice except to make the most of the time you have to devote to work. It's hard to be present with your family when you have a to-do list looming in the back of your mind. There will be some late nights involved and inevitably if you are working on a deadline you will have a sick kid, house crisis, etc. It's OKAY. It's all going to be OKAY. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk