JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Table in the kitchen

October 7, 2014

I am completely ready for some seating in my kitchen.  Due to some structural issues underneath our kitchen floors it seems my island may be a few years off.  Basically, there is a bad dip in the floor which will need to be addressed.  If we do new flooring, it's really the time to do new cabinets as ours are original to the house and in less than stellar shape.  Of course that means new counter tops.  We wouldn't plop down old black linoleum on top of nice new cabinets.  And then you need new fit new appliances, light fixtures, back splash.  So basically my weekend project for a new eat-in island is responsible for a potential cash money renovation.  And like I said, that's not in the works for now.

I know it's going to be tight quarters in there visually although technically there is room.  I'm loving the idea of a light wooden table paired with ghost chairs or even a modern white tulip table with white bistro chairs.  What's your thought?  We have a stand alone island now that you can technically pull up stools in front of to eat.  But it just doesn't accommodate more than two small plates.  I also don't want to purchase new stool for an island that's really not my favorite anyway.

Would love your opinion.  Do you have a table and chairs in your kitchen that are not sectioned off to the side in their own designated area?  I'm talking flat in the middle of the working kitchen like where the island is located in the first image below.



This is most certainly not a complaint, simply an observation, but the older my two little ones get the harder it is to get things done.  I remember the treacherous days of two under two.  That's been two fall's ago now.  In so many ways they are much easier at 4 and 2.5.  But time seems to escape me more than it did then.  Does this happen to you too?

 

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of tulip table if we ever expand our kitchen I would love to do that!! and agree it is impossible to get stuff done these days. I have to do it night after the kids are in bed or sometimes like today I set an alarm and get up early before they are up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tulip tables are so pretty - loving your inspiration. My kids are the same age as yours, and I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bistro chairs, but I have to lean towards something comfier especially if you're going to be in them a lot. I'm sure you can find some great one's at an antique store and put your touch on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All so stunning! We have a table and chairs in our kitchen and we love it! The tulip table is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a table and chairs in the kitchen. The heart of the homes deserves a place to sit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We actually have that white tulip table in our kitchen and it's the perfect size for our not so big kitchen. It really brightens up the room, if I can get around to it I will try and post it on my blog!

    scarlettmoonblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a table right smack in the middle of our kitchen. It a farmhouse style since we need seating for 7. Our kitchen is really too small for it, but it works. A major renovation is a ways off, so for now, this is it. Based on your pictures, your kitchen looks bigger than mine, so I am sure you can make it work. Our dining room is more formal, so I don't really want the kids eating every meal in there. Plus, who wants to constantly trek back and forth fetching things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of a tulip table with a banquette - so chic and they take up minimal space…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that look with the ghost chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a table and chairs are absolutely do-able, I'm a fan of just making your spaces work for your family and creating livability where needed! I even think a rectangular farmhouse would work, sometimes round tables take up a lot of space and don't allow for as much seating, but I love all of your ideas! Yes, I get zero done if my two are around, which is 99% of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Circa (used) in Charlottesville had a white tulip table last week. You might call and check....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk