JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Ferns in the Fireplace | Love It or Leave It

November 13, 2014

There are flurries on the forecast for this weekend.  Among many other things that come to mind, it's about time to bring my ferns inside.  I have never successfully kept a plant alive so I'm a little terrified that bringing them in our house will be almost as slow a demise as leaving them out in the cold.  Matthew gets full credit for keeping them not only alive but thriving over the past nine months.  He's the boss of the outside.

Of course my next question, where the heck to I put these things.  They are way too big to set up on a bookshelf or table.  I searched on pinterest to see where other people display extra large sized ferns. The number one clear answer is in the fireplace.  Obviously we aren't the only ones who can't use our fireplaces right now.  We haven't had them inspected so for now it's display only.  I can't say I'm fully 100% in LOVE with this look, but for practicality purposes I'm going to give it a try.


Now that  you've seen lots of examples, what are your thoughts?  These rooms all make it look so good right?  I would obviously love to have a fire in our fireplace but that will have to wait until after we get it inspected.  We are fortunate to have two fireplaces but I really see this more in a living room or den situation.  One of which is in our dining room where I don't really see us lighting a fire.  Although sitting around the dining room table with lots of good food, wine, and friends with a rumbling fire in the background sounds incredible, its not really our life right no and I have to be realistic.  A fern would get more use.

Love it or leave it?

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

12 comments:

  1. I like it! But only the one fern. Not a huge fan of the two different sizes... You've got a great eye though so I'm sure you'll make it look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big fan, I think it looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, especially when it's really oversized and coming out of the fireplace every which way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. We just use our fireplace so that would never work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you are good with ferns, but mine always do terrible if I try to winter them. Dead fern leaf droppings all over my floor. I probably am just not caring for them correctly though. I ditched mine a month ago after the fiasco of cleaning fern droppings all winter happened at my house. Not a mistake to repeat. If you have success please put how you did it and kept your sanity about the cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, I toss mine after the 1st frost takes them. I love the look of placing them in the fireplace, but they do drop leaves like crazy and it gets annoying. Good luck though, it is hard to part with them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have never thought of this on my own but I do like the idea. I think it softens the space and adds just the right amount of color. We have a fireplace in our family room which we rarely use so I'd like to give this a try.

    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have a fireplace in our dining room, but I can't see myself going the fern route. I equate ferns with spider mites...yuck!!! How about a set of beautiful birch branches? We did that in our prior home bc the fireplace didn't have a gas starter & we didn't want to hassle with real logs.

    Let us know what u decide.
    Xo
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I like the way Jennifer did her fern the best. The rectangular basket fills the whole fireplace and makes it look great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk