JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Dining Room Progress + Inspiration Pictures of Pretty Dining Rooms!

March 31, 2015

I realize I haven't been very good about sharing updated pictures of our house.  Last week I messed around with our dining room.  Remember back in January we opened up the wall that closed it off to the family room.  I just never loved the view from the family room which is the primary way I see this room.  And it's my view from the couch in front of the tv so it really get's a lot of visual time.


I removed a leaf from the table making it smaller. This freed up some space to place our buffet at the head of the table.  This piece came from my husband's family and I love it!  I'm really glad I get's a prime spot now!  I love that I also have a fun space to decorate seasonally!

 
You can see now how this all connects.  This is the back wall where out built-ins used to be.  I can't even tell you how much better this functions for our family.  And the amount of light that both rooms get now is magical.  I am trying to convince Matthew to sit down and right a post about how he took this wall down.  I don't think the directions I'd come up with would get you very far.  You can also catch a glimpse of my lovely assistant hard at work.  Girlfriend marches to her own beat these days.

In all honestly, it's a lot of dark wood for me.  I'm a big fan of light and bright.  I'd love to replace the dining chairs with something fully upholstered.  Well, slip-covered so it can be washed.  I'm obsessed with the casual elegance it brings an otherwise stuffy space.  This would just be so much more our style!






Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

24 comments:

  1. Your dining room looks so good Julia! I'm with you about having so much wood in the dining room which is what I have, but yours really looks fresh as is. I can't remember, is that classic gray? Love the color! Also, I didn't comment yesterday, but the powder room is looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Classic Gray! I just love that color!

      Delete
  2. It looks so pretty....you could upholster chairs in a kid-friendly indoor/outdoor fabric that would be easy to clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! Something that will let ketchup just roll right off :)

      Delete
  3. I love how light and airy it is! And your assistant looks very helpful! I think some slipcovered dining room chairs would look amazing!

    P.S. Love the progress on the powder room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, she was waiting on a page from the boy next door who is in possession of the other walkie-talkie....

      Delete
  4. Why don't you just slipcover those chairs? I'm totally with you on needing something kid friendly- mine are about to get recovered in sunbrella fabric. I struggle with all the dark wood in my dining room as well, but can't paint anything because they are all nice pieces- a good problem to have I guess. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally thinking the same thing but wasn't sure if it would work since they aren't thick at the top. Can you do that on chairs like this?

      Delete
    2. My slipcover lady is a magician, but I think you can sew some batting into the top part to fill it out a little, if that makes sense! I would definitely check with your local slipcover genius and see what she can do!

      Delete
    3. oh dear, I have no local genius. Maybe yours will make mine?

      Delete
  5. Also, is that the painting you had in the laundry room? Looks great to brighten up the dining room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ;) Nothing is safe from my wrath when I start moving shit around!

      Delete
  6. Hi Julia! Your dining room looks great! We have the Ikea Henriksdal chairs at our dining room table and I love them! They are slip covered and wash well, and for $89 each the price can't be beat. Highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes! I was wondering how those worked in real life!

      Delete
  7. I read your post and then serendipitously saw this while looking for something else--two minutes later----would be so cute and easy! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/181762534930602608/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those are so pretty! I love how they could work on my existing chairs! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. It would look amazing--maybe a simpler boxpleat. Lots of options!! https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=pleated%20chair%20cushion

      Delete
    3. I most especially love making the chairs I already have work!

      Delete
    4. Yes, they are perfect!!

      Delete
  8. Julia, from those other pics it looks like your dining room needs overhead lighting (if there's none there). A chandelier would make a huge difference and 'bling-up' the view from your family room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I'm not sure if you've followed along for long but I just moved the table and chairs to the back end of our formal living room back in January. I wanted to live with it for awhile to see if I liked it before having our electrician come install our chandelier overhead. It needs it for sure!

      Delete
  9. Ok how about two upholstered captain chairs at the head of the table for softness and then just slipcovering the seats of the other chairs....I'd hate to see those cane backs covered up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Me now says paint them white and get two upholstered captain chairs. Buuut, I'm worries I'll regret painting them one day?

      Delete
  10. There is something so gorgeous about a farm table and upholstered chairs, love your inspiration! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk