JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Thoughts on Blue & White : Love It or Leave It

March 18, 2015

Over the past year or so I've started to collect blue and white pieces.  Nothing crazy, just a piece here and there.   Yesterday I picked two more ginger jars with lids at an estate like sale.  I can't wait to find them a home!  It sounds like I also got a great deal on them which is awesome!  I honestly didn't really see myself as a blue person but as I look around my house it's evident that I am turning into one.


My mom and her sisters have always been really into blue and white.  Like, really into it.   So is my sister.  I've always been the one that was much more into neutral.  Or pinks and green.  But more and more I find myself gravitating towards all shades of blues.  In small doses, it adds that extra layer to the creams and tans and white and gray I love.  And by adding in just a few accessories around my house, like a planter or ginger jar,  it's really helping to tie in our navy den.  Yes, I painted an entire room navy even though I didn't consider myself that into blue.  Hmmmm.


 I also love how navy or more true blues really elevate the little bit of turquoise I have sprinkled around my house as well.  I've always struggled with one dimensional decorating and this is changing that for the better.  It's really fun how blue and white can swing from traditional to beachy and it's timeless and fresh all at the same time. That is really my style all wrapped up.


Tell me your thoughts on blue and white.  Too traditional?  To predictable?  Too much like your mom's house?  Or do you love it.  Just a few touches here and there or full on blue and white rooms?


Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

21 comments:

  1. I have ginger jars in my dining and living rooms and still love them. I am go glad they seem to be making a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think blue and white adds a nautical look to the room - which I personally LOVE!
    www.BundleMeBaby.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A classic. Will never go out of style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have navy in every single room of my house. It's classic and preppy and beachy...and makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those! Blue and white is so classic.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. I straddle the fence on this one too...I LOVE it, but then I wonder if it is too traditional. but then again...I always gravitate back so I decided to just get what I like and make it work. I bet someone could question my sanity for some of the purchases I've made (kidding!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dining room walls are dark cobalt with white wainscoting. I'm obsessed! You can find blue in just about every room of our house.
    xo | thesequinedspatula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherwin Williams Loyal Blue to be exact!

      Delete
  8. Traditionally nouveau for sure! You are so skillful to demonstrate the many versatile ways this "blue and white"
    Bravo, keep up the great blog!
    Cheers - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think ginger jars go with everything - whether your style is traditional or not, they always seem to tie everything together in a room for me. But I also hoard, I mean collect, them so I may be biased :)

    Lucy from East Meets South

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it, and am surprised too by that, since it was always my mom's thing. Now that she and I are both getting older, I think it is nice to be like her. :) And I'm so thrilled when I get a good deal. Love all these images! SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blue and White is completely classic! I totally agree with Carrie, there's something really special about emulating our mothers and grandmothers style. I'm running a Kiehl's Skincare giveaway on my blog this week, you should check it out, Lucy x :) http://www.hunterhartblog.com/2015/03/skin-care-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny you should feature this! I had a thing for blue and white back in the nineties but recently have been getting into it again! Got some blue and white ginger jars last week that I instantly found the perfect home for. Love the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!

    xo
    Coco
    cococozy.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had a few chinoiserie pieces growing up, and I undoubtedly have blue as a favorite color. I finally thrifted some ginger jars just the other day, and am questioning why I haven't already owned them. They definitely suit my style and pair great with the coastal chic vibe I'm influenced by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a little sprinkled in here and there in each room! Like you said, it feels beach-y but classic as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it!!😉 I was trying to send you a pic of my collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can never go wrong with Blue and White! Chinoiserie never goes out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love, love, love everything Blue & White but I have to agree with you that it was something that I didn't always like when I was younger. Now, I am obsessed with anything Blue & White! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it, but more as a pop in a room rather than a main focal point!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk