JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Love it or Leave it | Modern Table Skirts

April 10, 2015

FRIDAY!!!!  Welcome to the start of the weekend friends.  Our new chairs (friends + family sale has them at 30% off) got delivered yesterday and now all I can think about it is what table to pair with them.  I'm supposed to leave the bedroom updates for Wednesday ORC posts but I think I found a little loophole if I just talk about random tables today.  Right?  I mean I may or may not be thinking about putting a table in between the two chairs.  Get a sneak peak before Wednesday and see what I'm talking about here.

Skirted Tables.  I know we've talked this before and I've made two for an old bookcase we own.  But it's been years and I'm curious your current thoughts.  This time I want to discuss round table skirts only. 

I, for one, still love them for two big reasons.
1. They offer immediate hidden storage with clean lines
2.  You can transform an old or ugly piece of furniture into some thing beautiful and it doesn't involve spray paint.

Bonus:  You can create them with staple guns, Velcro, and hem tape which let's any skill level play along.

I think they're such nice way to add a softness to a room with a lot of angled furniture.  Think of how many square and rectangles are in your rooms.  I think the big key factor for keeping it fresh is pleats in lieu of the big gathered or full skirted balloon look.

It's also a fun way to use a bold pattern or pricier fabric in a major way without the yardage needed for window treatments.


Curious on your thoughts.  Love it?  Leave it?  Don't hate it but can't really see how it would work in your own house.

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

27 comments:

  1. We have two nightstands in our master bedroom. My husband needed storage for his stuff and I was impartial. To keep costs down, we chose a table skirt as one option. I have truthfully love it and know it is easy to change out if I get tired of it.

    http://julieandaaronwilliams.blogspot.com/2014/04/master-bedroom.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks so good! Is the simple kind from Target/Walmart? PS, My husband wants a mirrored nightstand too :)

      Delete
  2. I love them - and always think of resort hotels where we've stayed and used them. I think for homes with families, they realistically only work in a master or guest bedroom...and if I ever get more money, time, space..I will certainly use them! I also agree with Julie's comment that they are so easy to change (and inexpensive). Thanks for giving me some ideas for future decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true. They will be "fort" heaven for my kids no matter where one ends up. I better think twice about what goes on top : 0

      Delete
  3. I really like them - especially with the piece of glass on top. I think it's a timeless look and it's a great way to incorporate another pattern/fabric into the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed. glass on top is a must for me. Don't want to ruin it the first day with coffee/wine stains :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! My parent's have a gorgeous one in their living room that I've always been a big fan of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they are very beautiful, but it's a little too formal for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Although I think with the right fun pattern it could be super casual. I think that's what I would like. Not the glam style :)

      Delete
  7. Love it! My terrific table from Ballard was one of my first "big girl" purchases and I still love it more than 10 years later. Super versatile and you can hide a ton in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honest opinion: I think it can go grandma-style fast. But with a bold pattern or color and modern accents on the table top you can definitely make this work! The images you included are proof :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I think it works well in the right setting with the right fabric but certainly not across the board!

      Delete
  9. I think it's too much fabric with the fabric chairs. Mix it up with a glass or lucite table. It will have a much "lighter" look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is for sure my biggest drawback. I like them so that's not an issue for me. But like I don't want a lot of wood corners I also don't want too much fabric. I think a nice rounded lucite table would be amazing.

      Delete
  10. This topic has been on my mind since two issues back of House Beautiful (where they were featured like 300x). I vote yes! I don't have anywhere to use them right now, but think that they are coming back, especially with interesting folds and trim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed. With the right fabric they can look so on point.

      Delete
  11. I love this style! It looks so polished when the tailoring is done right. I love button and trim details as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ballard Designs has an "antiqued" mirrored round table top for skirted tables. Could be pretty if it coordinated with your fabric choice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too many pleats and it starts to look fussy. I think 4 pleats looks super clean and tailored. Ive been wanting to do this in my sunroom, but I'm waiting for my girls to be out of the "destroy anything" age range.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well obviously I'm a fan. I think they're tailored and feminine at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just looking this up this morning when I saw your blog post! I want to update mine in the family room. Right now it is plain ivory, but thinking of this fabric. http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/489526

    ReplyDelete
  16. I missed this post on Friday because I was busy sewing a table skirt! Mine's just a simple 30" round with a glass top. It's a very casual space and I'm going for more texture than color, so I used a light color burlap and lined it. No pleats, just a corded hem and small break on the floor. It fills up a corner nicely. I really love the octagonal ones that you have featured.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk