JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Navy Built-ins | Some actual progress in the Den!

June 9, 2015

Thank you so much for your encouragement about the den last week.  All of your ideas were really helpful! Planning a party and knocking out a to-do list go hand in hand in our house and a deadline always helps light a fire under us.  But sometimes just a few people cheering you on is enough!  All of the suggestions were really good and ultimately it led me to getting up off the couch on Thursday morning and knocking out another two coats of paint.  Dang that felt good.


Ultimately I'm trying to make this space really be for and about my husband.  Not overly styling the shelves and selecting what goes on the walls, in particular.  It's hard for me to pull back but I'm happy to make him happy!

The to-do list is still long but it's feeling so much more do-able!

-Final coat of paint on the cabinets and trim
-hang the cabinet doors
-find pulls for the doors and drawers (I'm thinking some brass and modern)
-install toe rail
-French doors on the hallway side of the opening?
-Find fabric for possible pelmet boxes on the windows
-Paint Ceiling light blue

Also, I loved your suggestions about chairs in this room.  I'm going to keep my eye out on craisglist and watch the furniture sales over the summer.  But in the meantime, someone suggested that I move the chairs from our bedroom down to the den to see how I liked the look since I thought I wanted something similar.  I convinced Matthew to try it out for me over the weekend.  I LOVE LOVE these chairs and how they look in our bedroom and while I LOVE them and love the way having nice matching chairs looks in here, I don't think I'm ready to let them go down here permanently.  The practical side of me says they'll probably get used a ton more in this room than they do in our bedroom but I'm not sold just yet.


As always, thanks so much for being my sounding board and offering out your ideas!  I'm in no way a professional and it really helps to get other people's perspective on things!

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

26 comments:

  1. Ahhhh the chairs look so good in there! But I totally understand not being ready to part with them from your bedroom yet - they really pull your whole room together! Maybe you need another set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I finally finish one room and now I'm going to mess with that to finish another space. Ahhh, reality.

      Delete
  2. The chairs look great in the den!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is looking soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chairs look awesome in the den!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to let my make the decision. I love them in our bedroom but they look really nice and we'll all enjoy them more down here :)

      Delete
  5. Oh man, the chairs do looking really good in there. Maybe just keep your eye out for something similar on craigslist? Or like you said, keep an eye our for sales this color. I love how it lightens up the room but they still work and aren't feminine with their nailhead trim and exposed legs.

    And you go girl for knocking out two more coats of paint! That navy is looking so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. by color, I mean summer. whoops. Probably should have finished that cup of coffee this morning. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks girl! I love the navy too!

      Delete
  6. I think keeping the chairs upstairs in the master is somewhat of a waste. Only the two of you will see them. They really pull together the den quickly and look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I know! I think they need to be downstairs :)

      Delete
  7. your style is always spot on.. I like the chairs in your bedroom.. perhaps leather chairs in the Den..keeping it more masculine per say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I was thinking too!!! Something leather and a bit of mid-century modern is needed!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! Leather with clean lines, cognac would be killer. A bit worn. Now to find them! :)

      Delete
  8. AnonymousJune 10, 2015

    The chairs look much better in your bedroom and provide such a cozy space to read before bed or to have a spot of quiet during the day. I agree that leather club chairs or something similar would fit the navy space much better and retain the masculinity of the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. completely agree. I'm thinking small tan leather club chairs would look so good against the navy and be more in tune with what I'm imagining!

      Delete
    2. AnonymousJune 11, 2015

      YESS on the tan color!! I anticipate a CL or estate sale score in your future ;-)

      Delete
    3. exactly! Something already aged and a bit stuffy (in a good way)! Thanks for you input :)

      Delete
  9. I think this looks SOOOO good with the chairs down here! We're just finishing up our master bedroom so I completely get it that it's the best feeling finally having a "finished" bedroom, but these look way too good down here to keep them up in your bedroom! It's looking so good!
    ~Mary Keller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to let Matthew decide. We still think leather chairs would be good in here and I think this is just our attempt to call it done!

      Delete
  10. This looks amazing! LOVE LOVE LOVE the navy! That was my second choice after the gray!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how this is coming together Julia! My husband's office/den is navy but the building are still oak...you're inspiring me to paint them. Oh and we have brown leather club chairs with nail head trim in his study and they are a great match for the space.
    Xo
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how this is all coming together! The color looks fabulous! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk