JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Rethinking White Kitchen Cabinets

July 5, 2016

Confession.  I'm sick of cleaning our white kitchen cabinets.  I don't need to tell you how much I love the look of white in my house.  Walls, furniture, cabinets, curtains, linens; you name it I've wanted it white.  It's bright and clean and classic and provides the perfect backdrop for my ever evolving rotation of style and accessories.  But my white kitchen cabinets?  I'm over the constant upkeep and I want to paint them greige.


The only catch is that we'll be working with our existing black countertops and greigey kitchen cabinets exist almost exclusively on pinterest paired with white countertops.  But I found a few that I absolutely love.  Plus Chip & Joanna did it so it must be awesome right?  Our kitchen certainly isn't nearly this big but I think a lot of the design choices could work perfectly in our house.


I'm just so sick of seeing finger print smudges and splatters of ketchup or tomato sauce and smears of grease and grime and the overall dirty look they get no matter how often I clean them off.  I know those things would all be still there and need to be wiped off regardless of cabinet color but I'm starting to think a little bit of what I don't know won't hurt me might be in order.

via

Our cabinets are original to the house and have already been painted over several times so I'm not decreasing the value by slapping up some new paint.  And if I hate it I can just sand it off and repaint them back to white.  So it's really not that big of a deal to try it out, right?


I'm thinking something in the beige-gray family with a hint of green rather than blue undertones.  Any favorite paint colors you think I should try?  I have a few I've rounded up to test out so I'll let you know how that goes!

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

17 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. I just returned from a week at a beach house in Rosemary Beach, FL and they had white cabinets. I'm in the process of buying a lot to build a house and white cabinets are NOT for me. I spent about an hour in total for the week cleaning and agonizing over the dirt on the cabinets. Aesthetically its so fresh and clean but realistically it wouldn't work. Erin of Elements of Style blog painted her new kitchen in Cape May Cobblestone by BM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did Navy when we redid the kitchen in the PI house and I LOVE them so much! I definitely advocate for the greige!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, SW Amazing Grey is my go to greige 😊

      Delete
  3. I painted our kitchen cabinets a similar shade, but a little darker, when we moved in our house about 10 years ago. I had always had white and just wanted a change. I STILL love them. I think it would look great with your black countertops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just painted my kitchen island SW Honed Soapstone. I am really happy with it and it leans more towards the green gray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done a couple for clients that had to have ubatuba granite. Try SW repose gray or SW conservative gray

    ReplyDelete
  6. I painted our cabinets a light grey (Behr's Graceful Grey) in our old townhome. I love the color, and I thought it paired well with our existing countertops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are finishing up our Reno right now and the inspiration photo for our kitchen was the second kitchen you posted! We went with sedate grey and are thrilled

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did our lowers only in Kendall Charcoal and love them! Maybe a little more greens-gray than greige, but so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are going to do our kitchen walls in SW Repose Grey and I was considering doing my lower cabinets that colour too. But is it wrong to match cabinet colours to the wall colours??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi Piron's pictures were our inspiration when we updated our kitchen and I'm loving them! The beige-grey color with white walls have been a huge hit for us! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julia, I have both colors in our home ....white and greige. I'm love a clean house and I promise you that they both equally show whatever it is that comes their way. Light bounces off white more so you actually see less dirt than on the greige I think. Our island and bathroom cabs are greige so they get equal wear. My kids are a bit older than yours and are pretty respectful of what it takes to things clean these days but I will save you the time and the honest truth is that they are pretty equal when it comes to showing dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julia, I have both colors in our home ....white and greige. I'm love a clean house and I promise you that they both equally show whatever it is that comes their way. Light bounces off white more so you actually see less dirt than on the greige I think. Our island and bathroom cabs are greige so they get equal wear. My kids are a bit older than yours and are pretty respectful of what it takes to things clean these days but I will save you the time and the honest truth is that they are pretty equal when it comes to showing dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see why you would want to paint the white cabinets a different color. It would drive me crazy to see smudges on my white furniture or appliances. I do not see anything wrong with the greige cabinets and black countertops. You can always go back to white or try a different color if you do not like the scheme.

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been having the same debate over my kitchen cabinets for weeks. I loved the "greige", but our floors (which are original to the house) are so dark, I was worried it would close the space in too much. In the end, I ended up calling in a painter and my kitchen looks amazing! I would say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so clean and crisp looking! Your hard work definitely paid off.I must say that, although the inset doors are lovely, the full overlay door styles are perfectly wonderful looking.
    Kitchen remodeling Austin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk