JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Men's Study: a masculine den | Paint Choices

June 27, 2014

On Wednesday I posted about our new den and how paint color and textiles were going to play the biggest role in achieving the look we are after.  This room is for Matthew, a dedicated man-space if you will, and I want it to reflect his style and his hobbies.  It's located just off of our front hall, in the old dining room, so it really has to flow well with the rest of the house as well.

I first mentioned using a dark navy on the walls.  We eventually plan to close off the cased opening with french doors and rehang the door to kitchen which will help close off this room, creating a more intimate atmosphere.  That would also decrease the need for this room to aesthetically flow as well with the rest of the downstairs. 

I mentioned navy blue in this post and several of y'all suggested looking for a shade of blue in the same hue as we've used in the rest of the house.  Great advice.  I will absolutely be doing so if we go this route.  You can see in the top image below, it's pretty kickass.  I had completely talked myseld out of this option by yesterday afternoon but now that I can visualize it better, I'm in love.  The navy reads really young and fresh to me which some of y'all were concerned about.  It's not too old-school at all.

There were several suggestions for charcoal gray, which I love, but just don't think would work with all the warm tones in our furniture.  We had a warm tone charcoal gray in our master bedroom in our last house and I got sick of it really quickly.  I also venture to say that charcoal grey might read too young in this space.  I will probably regret saying this, but I have a feeling that grey is on it's way out in favor of more color.  Now, clearly based on the whole furniture arranging lately I don't give a hoot about rules or what's in or out.  Do what you love.  I just thought I'd mention that point.

In the bottom picture, I've used a much lighter shade of blue on the walls.  Sea Salt, cut to 50%, like we used in our master bedroom.  I love this option as well.  Without the addition of doors to close off the room, this color really flows with the rest of our house.  It's a soothing and easy color.  I love it.

Now that I've got you interested, please share your thoughts.  I'm so indecisive.  I've convinced Matthew to paint the light blue first and go back in a few years to do the navy.  But that's crazy right.  We need to just fall in love with a plan and execute it!


As for the textiles, I'm pretty in love with the pillow covers I found for the space.  Much more masculine and out-doorsy than I usually select.  But they're perfect in here I think.  Also, the gallery wall grid I've placed above the leather sofa will be created with wood tone Ikea Ribba frames.  The 8x10 openings will be filled with Matthew's pictures.  Mostly hunting, fishing, or golf with a few cabin pictures thrown in I assume.

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

36 comments:

  1. Definitely the navy. Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the navy. We painted our dining room BM's Hale Navy and it really makes the white woodwork pop. Our DR can also be closed off to our kitchen with a French door. I don't think it reads old at all...just classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had debated on a navy for our dining room (already thick and dark woodwork present and I was worried it would be too dark) but I'm so glad we went bold! We fell in love love love with Furrow and Ball's "Black Blue" - cruise Pinterest and you'll find others have fallen for the delicious, velvety hue and you'll see plenty of rooms looking gorgeous. Go bold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia, I love the mood board, especially the textile choices! The walls will look great either way, I would start with the light and paint the walls navy when you eventually do close off the room with french doors....I actually have those GP & J Baker floral pillows in our guestroom; I was a little over zealous when purchasing and bought 2 more than I needed. I tried selling them on craigslist with no luck; we live in the near west end if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the navy also. The light blue does not seem very man-den-like to me ;). I also like the contrast of the light rug and dark walls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Navy all the way! It has a much richer feel to it. My husband's home office is a rich navy and it is perfect for a "man den". Can't wait to see what you decide.

    Amelia

    Ps- I'll grab a shot of the room and email you if you r interested...just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Hubby is at work in there now but when he comes out I'll snap a few shots.

      Delete
  7. NAVY BABY! it adds texture and spunk and makes it interesting. I id the RIBBA frames in my bathroom and get so many compliments. They look way nicer than what you would expect from Ikea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The navy is awesome. Choosing a navy with the same undertones as the rest of your house is the best advice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julia! I love these pillows! Where did you find them? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etsy!

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/162877374/gpj-baker-nympheus-pillow-cover-in?ref=favs_view_1

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/123638232/20-g-p-j-baker-magnolia-pillow-cover-in?ref=favs_view_2

      Delete
  10. I think navy! I have never regretted using a bold dark color in our home office/library (we did chocolate). It's cozy and masculine! Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea of the navy! It defines the space from the rest of the house - in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the navy, too! If you're worried about flow, could you add a rug or lamp or art with a touch of navy in the entry? But either way, the navy is neutral and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Navy! Go for it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Navy all the way, you'll love it! I painted my Mr.'s man room navy and it's one of my favorite spaces!! I love Benjamin Moore's Hale Navy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Navy! The other colorway almost makes the room look half done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go for the Navy! It's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a navy room but I totally understand that it has to flow with the rest of the house. My daughter's room is navy blue and I absolutely love it. We were dealing with a lot of warm wood tones (not my favorite thing) but as renter's it is a non-negotiable. And in our area bungalows are the rage with all original woodwork. So anyhow, I tried BM Hale Navy and it was a little too blue. I then found BM Gentleman's Grey, which is identical to Farrow & Ball's Hague Blue (the best in my opinion.) I think it has enough gray in it so it reads more sophisticated, and is kind of a chameleon as the day goes on. Its cool color balances out the cherry wood tones. Here is a link to her room, so you can see it. I personally love the color and am going to make a men's study/ boy's room in our next place! Our current place is very modern but hopefully it will be more traditional at our next house. Work with what you got right? Good luck!

    http://www.allthingsbigandsmallblog.com/2014/04/how-we-do-it-raising-baby-in-small-space.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely nursery! Thanks for sharing. I wish I'd seen your post before I bought a gallon of Hale Navy. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go Navy! Like Newburyport Blue with Shaker Beige Ceiling and White Trim. My friend did her sunroom in these colors and it is stunning.
    Or even a deep blue-gray like Gentry Gray by Pratt and Lambert.
    Looks like your leather sofa has an orangey tone to it, and I've read that a cool-dark gray, such as Gentry Gray (P&L) or Dior Gray (Ben Moore) is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your taste! Navy is fab!
    -Linda, ny

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like more the grey wall and pillow cases are very sweet, love floral motives.
    Domestic cleaning Greenwich

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the new study Julia! THe IG pics of those dark walls are spectacular! It looks perfect. xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Farrow & Ball Hague Blue is the best man room navy there is. Period!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk