JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

New House: Big Boy Room Progress

June 17, 2014


I'm (mostly) happy to report that Tagg is now officially in a big boy bed.  We made the switch over the weekend and it's gone fine.  Even nap time hasn't been disturbed.  The only slight wide eye was when he joined me downstairs in the kitchen unexpectedly yesterday after he quietly woke up from his nap. 

We placed the bed against the wall exactly where his crib had been and also installed a safety rail to the front side.  We did this with Wells for about a year to help ensure she didn't roll out.  We also left his crib in his room so he could make the choice as to which bed wanted to sleep in.  Of course there was not a single bit of hesitation on his part.  "Me yike dis big kid bed! Dat udder bed for babies.  Me BIG!"  I was the only one who wasn't quite ready.  I most definitely teared up when this bed went up.  I am beyond thankful to have a little boy who is growing up and moving on to big things.  But he's my baby, possibly my last baby, and it's really much harder watching him grow up than it has been with Wells who is just 17 months ahead of him.

Back to the room, this bed was my Dad's when he was growing up and I love that Tagg gets to use it!  There is a mate waiting in the attic at my parents house if we ever decide to go the double twin route.  Rather than rehabbing the old wood, she painted it the most delicious shade of apple green.  I wasn't convinced that I wanted the green.   But Tagg's favorite colors are blue and green (like Thomas and Percy).  Charcoal gray would have been more in tune with my aesthetic but this is much more fun.  And I think we have so few years to embrace his small-ness.  Let's face it, he's in love with his new green bed and so am I. 


Everything else in his room has stayed the same.  I've been making choices for his room with intention so that the nursery could easily transition into little boy room without a complete overhaul.  The two prints above his bed came from my husband's childhood room.  The calligraphy print is my all-time favorite, "Little boys should not be made to go to bed, they always wake up a day older."  It's by my insta-friend Aedriel and I had it printed just for Tagg.  I popped it in a Ribba frame from Ikea.  I can't look at this print without tearing up. 

I'm really happy with how his room is looking.  It's the first view as you walk up the stairs so I wanted it to be just right.  Classic and preppy with an old vibe.  So Tagg.

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

32 comments:

  1. My oldest son has my dad's childhood bed. So special. I love the green :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so good, and the green is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to be able to use furniture that has been in the family. We have an old dresser from my husband's grandfather but no one want to use it because the drawers are so hard to open. So it just sits in a closet for now... Tagg's room looks like the perfect little boy's room!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the apple green and that Tagg got to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet room. It's calming but still fun and you're right, we need to embrace the colourfulness this age brings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does happen too fast. I have the same problem with Eve. It all happens too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the green! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fabulous and perfect for your little man. Love the suit jacket on the hanger! Congrats on the transition, a big step! Hope it stays on an even keel, that's the trick :) Hope all is well! xox Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! The bed is a perfect color!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Green would not have been my first choice either but I kinda love the unexpected cuteness it adds. It keeps it from being too serious without going the cartoon-y route.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great!! I love it and I'm sure he does too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color of the bed for a pop of color with all the neutrals. It looks fabulous, and I'm sure it will grow with him easily.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you tell me about the bedskirt? Is it linen? I'm looking for a tailored, neutral bedskirt for my son's room and haven't found anything I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a linen bedskirt from Serena & Lily. My only complaint is that it's too short. We pulled it forward to make it hit the floor but there is now a large gap on the side against the wall. Why do all retailers do that?

      Delete
  14. it's perfection!! i love the pop of green, and i think it's so sweet to have daddy's art hanging there, too...looks like a great room for a great baby (he will always be your baby) boy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the bed being green...such a fun pop of color for a little boys room! He's such a big boy now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am just in love with this room! That green bed is gorgeous.... and the rug! Looks wonderful Julia!


    Xo,L
    simplylowcountry.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The room is darling! Love everything...from the bed-skirt, the rug, to the pop of color on the bed frame. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This room is one of my favorites! I think I told you I devoured your blog and Pinterest when planning my boys' room. The green is perfect and you can totally repaint when he matures. The print makes me tear up too (as I rock our third baby who is 13 days old and I can't help but think she'll be 13 in a blink). I love that you said he is possibly your last and not definitely. Also, I wanted to comment on your post last week and just say you really never have to explain yourself to us, your followers. We are here because we enjoy reading your blog about your choices. Then I read the following post where you mentioned it was more for you than for anyone else so I really hope you feel better. You are a fun blogger to follow (I think I've been following for a year but I've often gone through the archives) and I definitely appreciate you sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS - my 4 year was determined to name our new little gal "Thomas Percy" - he was pretty upset we didn't go with that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty! Lol Thomas and Percy. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Def get the other twin out of the attic and set up to match.....ready for all those little boy sleep overs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Would love to get the calligraphy print for my new grandson's nursery. Where did you find it? Room is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this!! Sterling has Matt's grandmothers bed and I just adore the look of older beds!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Girl, his room looks so adorable!!! I love the green bed!! We've gotta plan a trip so I can come see this new pad, it's looking so good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The way you wrote out how Tagg said he was excited for his new bed was WAY too adorable. I can totally hear it :) I'm head over heels with his room. Like, don't be surprised if I copy everything. This is exactly the look I want for Sam. And, the green is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks great!! Quick question: do you know what color green your mom used, please? My husband and son are building his big kid bed "together" and I have been thinking of painting it green -- I love the color of Tagg's bed!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm obsessed with the big boy bed! The color is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sweet. Great mix in his room. And that print above the bed--love.

    ReplyDelete
  29. can you tell me where you got the framed quote? love the hand writing! did you write yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  30. can you tell me where you got the framed quote? love the hand writing! did you write yourself?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk