JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Favorite Non-Fruity Summer Drink

July 23, 2015

I'm not really a big liquor drinker.  Actually, I'm not really a big drinker in general anymore.  Although I'm guessing the college years + early twenties could have provided enough good boozed times to last a lifetime.  Thank the lord that social media didn't exist then.  I do however, love a good late summer afternoon cocktail or more often an end of the day glass of wine.  But if the responsibility of average parenting weren't enough to keep me always clear headed and able-bodied, then my son's frequent food allergies, asthma, and quick ability to hive make for a pretty strong case of staying sober enough to drive to the ER.  Always.

But like I said, I do like a drink.  And I'm looking for a new one.  I've been a long time fan of the fruity boat drink sort, Malibu Rum + Midori + Pineapple Juice + lime, but I'm ready to try something new.  It needs to be less sugary and heavy.  Something like my favorite LaCroix but that comes with a slight buzz.  ha! 

Who's got some ideas of where to start?  What's your favorite drink?  Also, I admit that I'm not really sure what the difference between gin and vodka is so I'm pretty much starting from scratch in the tasting department.


My other favorite is a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Prosecco with a Popsicle dumped inside.  Now, that's a fun treat!



Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

16 comments:

  1. Mix a rose (i bought a super cheap one) with the berry-raspberry le croix ... I recently found it on a buzzfeed list, and it is SO GOOD. Light, fruity, not sugary .... mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^ that sounds delish!! I love love love Prosecco )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! Have you tried Secco from Trader Joe's? super cheap and really good!

      Delete
  3. Popcicle in Prosecco?? yum!! We drink Chilton's in the summertime, ok year round. Take a salt rimmed glass full of ice, add a shot (or two) of good vodka (think Kettle One or Grey Goose), the juice of an entire lemon, and soda. It is so light and easy!! I love to make mine with Perrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh that sounds so good! Will definitely be trying that one!

      Delete
  4. My favorite refreshing and non-fruity drink is vodka, splash of flavored simple syrup (link below) and lemon la croix. Sooooo good and light!
    http://bangcandycompany.com/store/p/hibiscus-orange-flower-ginger-syrup

    xo | thesequinedspatula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds good! Lemon might be the only LaCroix flavor I haven't tried!

      Delete
  5. LaCroix is my fav mixer. I use grapefruit flavor, vodka, fresh mint and fresh lime juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm obsessed with LaCroix but haven't mixed it with anything yet! This one sounds amazing!

      Delete
  6. La Croix cocktails are simply the best! Muddle some cherries/ any berries you like with the Cherry Lime La Croix and a vodka shot (or two)- delish and light!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do know Cherry Lime LaCroix is my most favorite flavor?!! That sounds amazing!

      Delete
  7. You're speaking my love language! :) my favorite is vodka, sparkling water (for the bubbles) and a few slices of fresh lime. I really prefer this over wine or champagne, much lower in calories and sugar. My chicest 60 year old aunt who hasn't age a day swears to me to avoid wine and go for vodka, sparkling water instead! Also, try Hendricks Gin, tonic and a cucumber slice. Hendricks is key! Such a classic but for a reason - so good, refreshing and not sugary. My neighbor served me one over the weekend and I forgot how refreshing they are. Last one - our beach favorite is vodka + fresca, no caffeine and lower calories. sorry for the long response! cheers! :)
    ~Mary Keller

    ReplyDelete
  8. We like Deep Eddy Grapefruit infused vodka, mixed with soda water and a fresh lime. Served over ice...delic, refreshing and not too sweet. A Colorado favorite for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJuly 27, 2015

    Plus one for Deep Eddy Ruby Red, Soda, and lime. If you don't have any fresh limes, use lime flavored mineral water -- it's delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a crisp, cold glass of Prosecco but I'll be adding a popsicle to my next glass! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk