JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

One Room Challenge {office design} WEEK ONE

June 27, 2012

Happy hump day my friends!
So here I am committing myself to another six weeks of room design.  In this heat.  With the two babies in tow.
Godbless.
But the awesome news is that one wall in my house will hopefully look like this soon.

Yes, basically I will be showing the progress I'm making on my office every Wednesday for the next six weeks.  I don't have my final ideas together yet for the actual desk wall or the bookshelves so I'll be sharing those mood boards as I come up with them.
Y'all know I've been talking about it a lot but never showed any pictures.  Yes, well, ahem.  That's because it's an embarrassment.
But I'm hoping to slowly change that with the whole blog world holding me accountable.
There are no fairy designers hiding in the wings or big budget allowances here so y'all bear with me.
I feel like I'm airing my dirty laundry here. And then linking that smelly socks to some really awesome bloggers who are probably doubting my participation in this challenge.
But like any good blogger, I'm here to share with you my before and you'll have to wait six weeks to see the final after.

This is where we leave off.

Just for clarification, this used to be our extra large formal dining room.  We never used it.
So I broke this space in half right down the middle allocating the far half to my kids for a play room and claiming the first half for myself as an office.

Okay, so not terrible.  Just not my style.  And not big enough.  The console table turned desk is too shallow and doesn't offer any worktop space.  The bookshelves also need some styling to say the least.
  This is a really before picture when I was thinking about having this room function as an office/dining room.  That quickly proved useless because we still never sat down at the table to eat.
Here is the wall opposite my desk which I like to think of as the cocktail corner.
I have big things in store for this wall.  Big.  Think gallery wall.  Think color.
This is where I'm going to start.




Lauren - The Cottage Mix
Lindsay - Everything LEB
Barbara - Hodge:Podge
Tiffany - Living Savvy
Jessie - Mix & Chic
Danylle - Nana Moon
Jennifer - The Pink Pagoda
Emily - Rue de Emily
Lindsay - Sadie + Stella

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

34 comments:

  1. Yay. Yay. Yay!! I love your plan. Such a fabulous gallery wall. I am drooling! We will hand hold the entire way until we can say "all done!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea. And I'm glad we aren't the only ones who never use our dining room! Thanks for keeping it real friend I know you will work wonders on that room. Maybe you can inspire me to get off my ass and get some projects done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gallery wall will be stunning! You have some beautiful pieces...love the desk and lamp. I am wondering what will stay, and what will go...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the gallery wall inspiration! Can't wait to see your office come alive! I won't show photos of mine either, it is in the basement. You will inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good bones! love! can't wait to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea to turn that space into an office and play room!! With your decorating skills its going to be ohh so ah-mazing when you are done!! Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker for a gallery wall and the art in your design board is amazeballs. Can't wait to see what you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to have such a great space to work with...I LOVE a great office redo..so I am excited for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dyingggg over your inspiration! I cannot wait to see how this turns out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the possibilities are endless! I am sure it will be amazing as everything you do is! Loving the gallery wall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to see what you do in here! My husband is really pushing to turn our dining room into an office. I keep waffling back and forth, so I'm sure that once I see what you do I'll be wanting it to be an office :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can.not.wait to see this room! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your plan! Can't wait to follow along as you see it through! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julia, I'm so with you here! No designer in the wings or unlimited budget. I've been following your blog and have seen the gorgeousness you create. Your office will be BEAUTIFUL and I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julia this looks like a great project. I'm doing an office too! Good luck, I can't wait to see all that you can do!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I can't wait to see what you do. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay!!! Can't wait to watch you work your magic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. GREAT POST:) Your blog is so wonderful and Im following..I hope you follow me back:)

    Have a great weekend.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (Sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the artwork you have chosen - gorgeous pops of color. Working on a multi-functional space can be a challenge but an exciting one. Look forward to seeing the space transform.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need to eliminate my DR also....Actually is really only functions as a place to throw all my fabrics on and try to create :)
    I think your space be be great when you are done....no I know it will!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am already loving your stylish gallery wall on your design board! So many great pieces!

    Looking forward to see the finished room. I know it will look fantastic when it's all done! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't wait to see! I have some work to do in my office/play room as well so I may join you in this challenge. :) www.styleoyster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I look forward to seeing your room! I know it will look fantastic. Love the artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't wait to see what you do! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Julia I am excited to see what you do with this space. Work your magic sister!! That pop of color on your gallery wall mood board is just plain old happy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can't wait to see what you do with the room! You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh, this room will be fabulous! I am zhushing up my living room as part of the challenge. Can't wait to watch everyone's rooms unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great work to use as your office! I think it will be fabulous! good luck with your challenge, and the heat, and the babies!
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the idea for this combo room! Do you know where the table in your inspiration picture is from?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh bless you! I would end up in psychiatric care if I tried to do a room that big in six weeks! It already has amazing bones, and I love your mood board, so I don't doubt you'll give us something fab!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this idea! Its always fun to see transformations! i think I might take part too- this is just the kind of accountability I need to start getting every inch of my house finished.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks like a great start! I love the colors in your Gallery Wall pic. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just stopped over from Design Indulgence. Your blog is so pretty! I can't wait to see what you come up with {and I love your comment about linking up smelly socks-hilarious!!} It will be totally gorgeous, I'm sure.

    aimee @ sixteenfourteen.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk