JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

New House: Master Bedroom Plans

March 27, 2014

master bedroom 3/14

master bedroom 3/14 by juliaryan

It's time to start talking more seriously about our master bedroom.   Matthew and I are just officially done with living like college kids.  We are both just completely on board with spending some money to make this room perfect.  Not just good, our bedroom at our old house looked good.  But it's never felt like us.  It felt more like a guest room than a master.  We're going to use a mix of working with what we have and adding in a realistic dose of what we plan to buy.

Staying:
The rug.  It belongs to my mother in law and the only room it will fit in is our master or our living room.  Although you'll see in the mock-up below that we'd really love a sisal.  I'm not sure what we'll end up doing to be honest.  It feels really wasteful to buy a new rug at this point.

The Lamps.  I just purchased two very similar lamps from Homegoods specifically for this room.  Bam.  I'm in love with them.

The wall color. Sherwin Williams Sea Salt cut to 50%.  It's still A LOT of color.  It's gorgeous and I love it but we're still getting used to such a bold choice.

The chairs.  We actually have two wing chairs in our room right now that were graciously given to us by a friend.  I need to have slipcovers made for them but I'm not in a huge rush.

The White bedding.  I still love our Pottery Barn Classic Bedding. 

Buying:
An Upholstered Tufted Linen Bed.

Matching bedside tables.  I want either white or weathered grey wood.  Open shelving.  At least one drawer.  At leaset 30' high.  Under $200.  Wish me luck.

Accessories.  A new mirror, picture frames, art, bench for the end of the bed, table for vignette by the windows. 

Sisal Rug.  You know I love them.  I put them in every space I can.  
 
master bedroom 3/14 part 2

master bedroom 3/14 part 2 by juliaryan

See, now that you look at the exact same plan with the sisal you like it better.  It's okay, we do too. I just really wish we had somewhere else to put the darker oriental rug so we could justify pulling the trigger on the lighter and more neutral sisal.

What do you think?  Do we work around the existing rug?  It's lovely and looks great in person.  It adds a lot of warmth to the room, both visually and literally.  It was in the living room in the house Matthew grew up in so I think that's special.  But is it special enough to keep out when it's not our style?

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

34 comments:

  1. I actually really like the existing rug- with everything else neutral, it adds a nice pop of color without being overwhelming. You can always change the rug out later, once you get everything else for the room and live with it for a while? Gives you time to save maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful plans for this space. I am with Laura, LOVE your MIL's rug, it gives the room character as well as a classic edge to your up to date look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the exact same rug issue in our bedroom! Once I got everything else in the room the way I wanted it the oriental rug didn't bother me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your current rug - I think it's a nice pop of colour against all the neutrals. That said, if it's not what you really want, it's just not. As others have suggested, maybe execute the rest of the room with the current rug to give yourself some more time to decide. Either way, the room is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I much prefer the oriental!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the rug you already have, but I know you my dear and you just like me love a neutral! I say get the rug you really want or you will not be completely happy with the room!! Check out overstock maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the oriental also...it adds so much warmth to the space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the light and airy look of the space I'm a fan of oriental rugs so it doesn't bother me but if you feel the sisal is more your style (I have one in my living room and love it!) than maybe save the oriental rug to be used in a future house and go for the sisal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the patterned rug but I think the sisal works better with the rest of what you have planned. I don't see the current rug working with the art you have planned. And you said you want the room perfect - sounds like sisal would be perfect to you! I say go for what your heart wants when you're ready to spend the money. Maybe the other rug will work for the living room, like you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  10. after you get done with yours, can you please just hop on over to nashville and take care of mine while you're at it??? love the inspiration and i'm sure the finished product will be even more spectacular!!!

    p.s. i am LOVING the sea salt 50% in our guest room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the oriental, but really like the serene vibe of the neutral for a bedroom. Sea salt is one of my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a tough one! I relate to the rug dilemma. Mike has about 8 really nice rugs he bought while serving in the Middle East before we met. They are gorgeous, but completely the wrong colors for what I want in our home. It feels like such a waste to not use them though, and they are very special to him. So we have one in Sam's room and the rest are still hanging out. I say, pull the trigger on everything else you want for the room and get it all in there with his mom's rug. Live with it for a bit and if you still aren't feeling it, get your sisal. You won't know for sure until you try :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it were me this would be not even be a dilemma. You prefer the neutral rug and that is all that needs to be said. You bedroom is your refuge from the world and it should be what makes you happy. If you were my DIL I would insist that you get the new rug...I would probably even surprise you with it as a gift for being such a great wife to my son and a great mother to my grands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the rug you have - but I know you really love neutral and it really becomes the focus of the room. With the sisal I think the artwork you choose will really stand out. I love the wall color you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. please report back on the nightstands! am looking for the same thing, in the same range. no luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That rug is classic and gorgeous! Home Decorators Collection may be a good place to start on the side tables. While not under $200 for two, I especially like the Whitman. Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Link for tables: http://www.homedecorators.com/furniture/tables/end_tables_and_accent_tables/

      Delete
    2. awesome :) I'm trying to keep the price per one under $200 so that opens it up a lot.

      Delete
  17. I love the plan! I love sisal/seagrass/natural fiber rugs anywhere and everywhere, and love the neutrality in our bedroom, so I agree with your preference, but I think your MIL's looks great too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the oriental rug MUCH better! The deep red looks great with the light wall color. My only thought was your abstract art choice does not look great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fingers crossed on your quest for those bedside tables! I need new ones and described EXACTLY like the ones you are searching for! Hoping you find some and report back!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful...I have a sisal rug in my master and I love it for its neutral texture. But it is rough and this rug is so beautiful and soft. I would SO keep this rug in the master....can we trade?;) Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love both but I totally feel you on the Sisal. If I didn't have one little one and two big dogs I would have sisal all over! Can't believe how airy and light just changing the rug to sisal makes the room!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah the Sisal looks very clean and fresh. I do love both though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Julia, check out Joss and Mains sales right now. They had a whole 'white' feature and had some great deals on greyed furniture. Good luck! Love where you are headed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the oriental rug myself. It really pops with the neutral color s.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the oriental rug myself. It really pops with the neutral color s.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Either rug is great! Go with your heart. Love the chairs and art. Why put a mirror over a bed though?

    ReplyDelete
  28. i will buy the rug from you so that you have money to buy a new one. no waste! I am serious

    ReplyDelete
  29. Obsessed with how clean and white everything is! Your home is beautiful and your family looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'll echo what many others said: your MIL's rug is lovely--it adds enough pattern and color to the space without being too busy. And, please oh please, share a source for affordable bedside tables that meet your specs! I've been looking for AGES (!) for a pair for our guest bedroom and it's been a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The oriental rug is timeless and like art for the floors! I love that. Your plan looks wonderful! Hope all is well! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk