JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Classic Little Boy Room for the Preppy Adventurer | Thoughts on a big boy room

June 10, 2014

You might remember many months ago when I said we had ordered a new big boy bed for Tagg.  Well what I really meant was that I had selected it and placed it in an online shopping cart just before I wrote that post.  Right after it went live, Matthew called and said, are you sure you want a twin bed for his room?  No.  Of course not, am I ever sure?

Well, I've been stuck in limbo ever since.  His room is a perfectly decent size but not huge.  A queen bed would eat up so much space.  There would be very little room left for him to play.  A double feels like all the size of a queen without the benefit of more space.  A twin would obviously leave the most floor space but I feel like he's going to outgrow that before we know it.  And Matthew, of course, loves the idea of matching twin beds.  Which I love too.  But doesn't that have the same problem as a queen, but more?  And doesn't that double the cost of outfitting it with linens?

Right now we're in a rare situation of having access to any of the above sized beds that we want.  Our house in Pawleys is well stocked with furniture and we'll be bringing a lot back with us later this week.  I think we're going to claim the double bed for our guest room so Tagg can have either a twin or a queen.

What do you have for your kids?  Thoughts?

I'm leaning toward a twin.  We have an old bed frame now that I plan to paint a nice french gray or soft green-blue.  Maybe white.  I can totally convince Tagg that a soft blue is still blue.  And we all know, he "yuves boo all day.  Yike Thomas".  But I also can't get this room out of my mind. I know it's a nursery and was designed for a girl, but I think the overall feel could really lend itself to a boy.  I also still love a lot of the elements from Tagg's nursery at our old house.  I know I'm over thinking this. 

Here's my latest design board so you can visualize where my head on all of this.  It's classic little boy with a preppy adventurer twist.  Or maybe just a mix of making we what already have work.  The twin bed and rocker keep the little boy feel.  He'll have plenty of time to grow into a man later. 



Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

14 comments:

  1. If that's the actual bed in the picture, it's gorgeous! I would go bold and paint it a navy or black! My daughter is in a twin and she has plenty of room and time to grow. We'll probably move her into a queen when she hits elementary school. That way she can get in it by herself and I won't worry she's going to fall out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are debating this right now too! I think we are going to go with two twin beds... Decisions, decisions!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back and forth with this decision too but my daughter's bedroom is pretty large so we went with the queen bed. I just love the look of two twin beds though. If we'd had a second twin mattress on hand I would have gone that route. I'm sure whatever you decide will be great. I love your inspiration board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son's room is relatively small too and I decided to do a twin bed. He's 5 now and I don't see him needing a bigger bed anytime soon. I plan on getting a trundle bed for when he's a little older and wants to have friends sleep over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this inspiration board! Queen in the guest room and twin in Tagg's room! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love 2 twins!!! That worked better for my space than a larger full or queen bed. Good luck and can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We bought a set of matching twins for my lil guy and I love that set up, for now while he's young and for later on sleepovers or lil brother spending the night in his room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. That dresser is perfect. Do you mind sharing the wall color of his room?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love his little bed and the idea of twin beds for his room! It's a tough decision and I know I will have to make this same decision when we move Brody to a big boy room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a charming boy's room! I love the dresser and the gingham ottoman. My boys have a bunk bed and they love it! It's a space saver so there's more room to spread out and play. And the funny thing is most nights they end up together in the lower bunk.

    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have two twin beds in a tiny room (like 10x10). We had to have two since my boys share a room and I'm not a fan of bunk beds (how do people make up the top bunk - I always pinch my fingers when we are at a beach house with them). I don't mind the lack of floor space bc we have a playroom and I think leaving the toys out of the room really leaves the room for one thing - sleeping. If we didn't have a playroom is definitely have a different opinion though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love where you're headed with his room. I have a queen in Izzy's room (her last two bedrooms were large so she still had plenty of room to play, but things are really tight with that large of a bed in this room). I kinda wish I had a twin, but like you, I know she'll outgrow it soon. I think when it comes time for Sam to get a big boy bed I'll give him the full from our guest room. Like Goldy Locks, not too big, not too small, it's just right ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say do the twin for now so there is more room to play. Sterling has a double bed for the same reason his room is small, eventually if we move or do an addition we get him a queen but I figure until he is 10 or so he can sleep in the double bed comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two decades ago, my fellows got two twin beds in each of their rooms. The added sleeping space made buddy overnights easier.

    I'm now updating their rooms to have double beds and to act as guest rooms. I'm glad I waited because the style of bed I want now is quite different from what I would have used for young boys.

    Whatever you do, it will be great. Your room design is phenomenal (really, I wish you and your blog had been around 21 years ago).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk