JuliaRyan.com. Powered by Blogger.

Social Media

Powder Room Design Ideas

July 8, 2014

Wells is turning four in a few weeks and I'm using her party as an excuse to renovate our downstairs powder room.  It's currently in pretty bad shape.  Rough walls that have been stripped of several layers of wallpaper but still crusty from paste.  An old toilet, rusted brass fixtures, dated mirror and light fixture, and too much 1970's wood paneling.  You can see for yourself here.

This has been at the top of my to-do list for a year and I'm excited to get started.  We purchased a toilet on sale last fall that's waiting in the garage to be installed after the paneling is sanded and painted white.  Budget wise, we're really just in need of a new sink and light fixture.  I plan to shop our house for the mirror and art and accessories.

I think in such a small space wallpaper could make a really big impact for not a lot of coin.  I've fallen in love with paper from Spoonflower that I really want to try out.  Have you ordered wallpaper or fabric from Spoonflower yet?  I haven't myself but I keep hearing good things.  The wallpaper is significantly less expensive than the designer paper it mimics, but, it's still a big ticket item to add to the final budget.

OPTION 1

In my second option, we'd be using leftover Serena & Lily wallpaper from Wells' room makeover.  That's the cheapest option.  We really only need to purchase a sink and light fixture and we're done.  I love this paper but I don't want to feel like I'm setting.  Is it weird to have the same pattern in two rooms? It's certainly a good neutral, and I can attest to loving it in person.

 OPTION 2


I would love to hear your thoughts on the two designs.  I think both could be really fun and work in our house.  This powder room is in between the kitchen and the family room for reference.  I've also got my eye on a few other ideas, like painting the paneling grey or just doing a color on the walls.  I can't imagine how complex a full bathroom renovation would be if I'm this hung up on a powder room.  Thankfully I probably won't find that out firsthand for another 5-10 years :)

Pin ThisShare on Tumblr

26 comments:

  1. I actually love both the wallpapers. I say go with what you love the most, if you feel like you are settling with the Serena and Lily you will never be happy with it. I have found its better to save and get what I really want for my home and then I love it so much longer! But I honestly love the neutral look of the SL paper. Can't go wrong with either design, I know it will be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome option you got here. I personally like the first one. I think you are right in such a small space wallpaper could make a really big impact.

    zepedrorodrigues.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you are saying about using the same wallpapers in two rooms. One thing to consider, lots of people who use your powder room may never see the upstairs of your house. Also, that paper is fairly subtle so maybe with different accessories etc it may not even be noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I decided, after much thought, that I definitely wanted to remodel my bathroom. A colleague of mine suggested I contact the team at Classic Kitchen and Bath in Illinois. I was very pleased after the first call. What I admire the most about their team is that they truly enjoy what they do and they took the time to customize designs to my desire. To date, I stand in my bathroom and look at it with awe. Visit their website today www.myclassickitchenandbath.com or call 630-515-9151. I highly recommend them to everyone considering kitchen and bathroom remodeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first option! I say go with what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Option 2. Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are absolutely great, and I would love either of them as my powder room. If it were me, I'd choose option 1. I love the boldness and pop of color that the wall paper brings to a powder room. It's so unique and different, not something that you would see every day!

    However, I know that if I was redoing my powder room right now, I'd be using the left over wall paper from another room to be budget conscious! Option 2 is very clean and fresh, and the whites would be beautiful.

    You can't go wrong with either. Both are stunning. Can't wait to see the finished product. Happy early Birthday Wells!

    Xo,L
    simplylowcountry.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, so I'm a huge fan of spending as little as possible. The second option is a great one. But. The first is so good! Like, sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree with Natalie on don't settle! I'd rather have to wait and get exactly what I want than to spend less and get something I don't love right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2 completely different options and both beautiful! Personally, I like soft palates and I don't tire of them so I love option 2. Chances are the guests who use your powder room will never venture into W's room, right? We have the same paneling and pedestal sink in our powder room. I toyed with taking the paneling down, wallpapering above it, painting above it, or doing board and batten with all of those options as well-ha ha lots of choices! I ultimately went with with leaving it up, having it painted our trim color BM White Dove, and painting BM Gray Cashmere above it (remember my email?), replacing the mirror and artwork with HG's finds, and….I love it now! Where is your beautiful mirror from??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both looks, but my favorite is the S&L paper - it's beautiful, cost effective, and timeless! Plus I love how you accessorized it, and I think the white would look really fresh right off of your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both options. The blue, however, really caught my eye. BUT if the Serena and Lily is most cost effective, while also being super cute, I would go with that one. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will make it look great! Your interior design is always fab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you already know i love me some bold wallpaper in the powder room and i think any of these options would be perfect! thank you THANK YOU for telling us about spoonflower, as i hadn't heard of it before...great options, too! cant wait to see what you do to the space my friend

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like option 2 but if you love option 1, go for it!! It's worth the extra money to do it exactly how you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the first one! The blue really pops and makes a statement. Option 2 is very classic if you want something that you may not tire of quickly. It might be easier to change the look of the room with option 2 by just changing up the accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I vote option 1 hands down. It will make such an impact and you don't seem so thrilled about using the S&L leftovers and I think I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The blue is really pretty, but I love the Serena and Lily paper, and its versatility up change depending on art and accessories. Plus I'm cheap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love option #1. It really pops! But go with what you really love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think option #1 is the prettiest but I am all about keeping things on budget. A bold painted wall color would be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Option #1 would make me feel claustrophobic in such a small space. Option #2 is classic and beautifully understated...which in itself makes a statement. The question is which one do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great options....whatever you choose will be perfection! I forgot Spoonflower has wallpaper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love option 1! Agreed small spaces are where you should go bold with wall paper and color.

    However, I do love that mirror in option 2. Would look great in an entry!

    http://www.stylemarketblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love #1!! Great wallpaper and great impact!! xo, K

    ReplyDelete
  24. The nice thing about the blue print is it will tie into the navy of the den......but your taste is fab! Whatever you pick will be great.
    - Linda, ny

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Option1. Blue is my favorite color so they could be influencing my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Julia, will look great either way, but as a color lover, #1 all the way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

 

Julia Ryan© Theme by Blog Milk