February 20, 2013

One Room Challenge Week Three

Well y'all know I dove right into lots of progress shots last week so I hope you're not too disappointed with the lack of results this week.  I'll be perfectly honest, I was in Pawleys Island for four days and it was raining the other three.  The time slipped away from me and I spent most of yesterday thinking I had one more day to go fabric shopping.  But I guess that's the whole point of this challenge, to show y'all what really transpires week to week.

 So onto the challenge.  Bedside tables, I need them.  I want dark wood.  Beautiful aged wood antique pieces of course.  Minimum table height of 33" and at least three drawers.  Oh, and I need two of them.  They don't have to be matching, but at least resemble each other in size and style.  I'm big on symmetry.  I've got a time frame and a budget to consider as well as the realization that I am moving soon.  And my new bedroom might be a much larger or smaller space.  I hate to find just the right thing now when in a few weeks it could be oh so wrong.  I'm still going to source out chests as they are pieces that could go in other parts of my home unlike a matching set of nightstands.  But like I said,  I'm not having much luck.  So my back-up is to cover my existing tables with fabric skirts.  

I know some of y'all aren't big fans but if it's good enough for Erika, it's good enough for me.  I'm liking the idea of a glass top to hide little trinkets and photographs underneath like she did in her bedroom featured here.  But that can be added to any type of tabletop, not just fabric.  My only hesitation with the skirts is that between the fabric headboard, the curtain panels, the bed skirt, and all the bed linens this is just going to be much fabric.  Period.  We need something strong and masculine to anchor.  But rememeber, this is just a back-up plan.  Once I gather some fabric options we'll see where it's headed.
Here are a few examples that don't look too bad.  I can guarantee you there are several plastic sterilite storage drawers from Target hiding under all that linen.  Mark my words.


 So is this even an option I should entertain or do I need to get my butt in gear and search out some  proper nightstands?


I also got a really fun package in the mail yesterday with a giant roll coral ribbon trim from one of my sweet blog friends Lizzie.  She's like my fairy godmother.  She had it sitting around the house and the roll has plenty left to tackle this project.  I love the extra color is adds.


You can view the final results of my first One Room Challenge here
And if you're new here, click on the links below to get all caught up.


And as always, be sure to check out the other lovelies participating in this series.  I promise they don't disappoint.

34 comments:

  1. You just gave me a 180. At first, I was saying "NO" to the fabric covered tables, but then your examples just blew me away. Do it...and teach us how. Hey, I have a ton of kids stencils left over from the younger years...want them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, I am a huge fan of fabric covered tables ... you showed perfect examples of the fact that they are not our Grandmother's Fabric Tables of old!! They'll add a big punch of color to your bedside!! And I have to say, since the impending move, then you can hold off on buying 2 beautiful pieces that may not fit in your new space! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like the fabric ones more than I thought I would and since you are moving maybe it is the best option instead of buying furniture. I really thought I would hate the fabric ones but your photos were great! Don't know how you do all these projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric tables look great but I think in your space a solid nightstand would be better. The coral trim is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking for 3 drawer chests/nightstands for a while. They are hard to find especially when working on a budget. It may be easier to do fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what size do you need? I let you know if I find anything while I'm on the search!

      Delete
  6. You know I did it because I got those 2 plywood tables with glass toppers for free and they were the right height for our high bed. I too wanted 3-drawer chests, not matching, antique, 33-34" high. They proved a very hard find, and of course the ones I saw were a fortune. I don't have thousands to spend on that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I love the wood idea, the fabric endtables would be great, too. You can't go wrong with either choice. LOVE the coral pop of color in there..It really opens alot of 'cans of worms' doesn't it; one thing leads to another..but that's a good thing in my book! Have fun and don't sweat it. Best of luck!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the gussied up tables the best, rather than the plain. Plain just kinda looks like they're hiding something where as the fancy ones are totally part of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going against the crowd, I do LOVE the examples you showed. But for the size of your room, and not knowing where you'll end up, I like the open side tables you have, I'd paint them a rich color and spend my $$ on something I love that I can use in the next place...even if it's a pillow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it were me, I would hold off on buying tables until you move. You just never know if they're going to work in the new place. Cover those babies! The examples are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love a fabric covered table but it sounds to me like it might be a temporary fix for you...sounds like your gut is telling you wood masculine tables to anchor- and I agree! But, if you can do the fabric tables at a good price for short term, you can take your time to find something perfect for your next room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the softness of the skirted table, ESP if you decide not to skirt the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might be in the minority, but I always love a skirted tabled. With the right tailored fabric they can look very modern. It is a great option if you can't find 'just right' tables. That coral trim is perfect btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll bet skirted tables will sweep the nation when you reveal them - these examples are gorgeous...how lucky are you to have a coral ribbon fairy? I love that combo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i LOVE a good skirted table and I think that would be FANTASTIC in there. Another way to add a soft line and some fabric. i even like the idea of a ticking stripe like one of the inspiration pics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the idea of covering the tables you have already- I think it will be so pretty in there! Also that coral, get outta here! So fab with that fabric, love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea!!! This makes me want to do the same thing in my own apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How sweet she sent the ribbon...such a pretty combination.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love tailored table skirts! Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love skirted tables! They definitely add a lot of texture and pattern to a space :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are pros and cons to all the options, but I know whatever you do will be fantastic! That coral ribbon color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the idea of the fabric nightstands. You are right, whatever you rind now might not be right for your next home.. and that might be your forever home! So hold out, that's my vote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that's the best way to get storage - and they are really pretty! plus I love the glasstop so you can put cute notes and photos underneath that no one else will even be able to see except you when you stand over the nightstand

    http://itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did a table skirt for our shoe cubbies and I loved how it came out. I say go for the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK...here is my 2 cents...I am all about symmetry too. But I think you can do the skirted table on the left side [not the curtain side] and a chest/bedside table on the other. As long as they are the same height.....that is the way it is in my room. I do have the same lamps on each side. Just a thought.....

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I too wanted to do skirted side tables in my bedroom but I am a lover of pattern and fabric and sadly, it was too much in my room:( I am still working on those night stands. Not quite right but i don't want to spend money on one right now, so I am currently shopping the streets of my neighborhood! I did make one skirted table in my living room/playroom. We have very little storage in my home so I used it to hide all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love a skirted nightstand. I was thinking that might be my solution to breaking up our matchy bedroom set. I too was worried it might be too much fabric in one space. Maybe you could skirt the table on the side of the bed that doesn't have the drapes next to it, and then find a dark wood nightstand for the other?? I really like the idea of adding the coral ribbon too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, as you may know my family room project is currenty sporting a skirted table. I really love the look of the rectangular skirts - and perfect for hiding clutter!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm a big fan of skirted tables, but I think we could solve all of this by trading beds ;).

    ReplyDelete
  31. Do the skirted tables! I love that look. Cute coral trim too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!