February 13, 2013

One Room Challenge Week Two

So here we are at week two of the One Room Challenge.  You know, where twenty DIY and Design Bloggers are given one room and SIX weeks to showcase what they can do.  Last week I left the room choice up to you my loves and I was honestly a little surprised that so many of you wanted to see my master bedroom come to fruition.  Maybe you just want to see if I iron my sheets.  Well no I don't.  At least not before the big reveal day.
So here you go my sweets, I'm gifting you the evolution of my master bedroom. 
You said this was a room you struggled with the most yourself and I wholeheartedly agree.  It's hard because we want it to be our favorite room and an amazing space.  Our peaceful adult retreat from crazy world.  We want it to look like a showcase space with fine attention to detail and high end finishes but it needs to function efficiently and extremely comfortably.  I'm not sure how many of you have tried to marry comfort with form in the way of bedding, but it's hard.  I'm struggling already with keeping my babes away from my new all white bedding I talked about here.  Same goes for night stand styling.  We all love a pretty and well styled vignette full of collected trinkets, coffee table books, and a diptyque candle.  But let's be honest here, it needs room for Kleenex and allergy medicine and two cups of water and a half read book and a charging station for an iPad and smart phone.
So I'm going to do my best to show the real room I'm creating and not just the glossy staged for pinterest version.  
So here is where the process started.  My original plan was the use lots of bright white to bounce off the dark walls but in the last few months I've decided I'd rather embrace the dark and let it get moody up in here.  I also wasn't pleased with the direction it was headed with the modern art and graphic black and white ikat pillows.  It didn't feel like us.

And here is my mock up for the space.  It's moodier and earthier.  More masculine for sure.  It's a space for my husband too and I wanted his tastes and interests to be reflected in here somewhat more than they are in other rooms of our home.  The wall color is called Cathedral Gray and has a lot of brown and dark green undertones which lends itself more to my final scheme.  Remember, we're about to move so all my ideas need to be something that can be replicated again in our next home.
Okay, so new all white bedding from Pottery Barn and Target helped create a super soft and clean slate to start building upon.  I also added the two framed Audubon prints to either side of the bed but have yet to hang them.  I plan to get the Euro Shams monogrammed but I want to see where the room goes before I choose a color.  I tend to let certain things evolve in a room based on what I find an fall in love with.  I don't want to commit to black or gray if the room goes more brown, you know.
 You can't tell from these pictures but the Audubon prints have bits of chartreuse in them and I choose this Kelly Wearstler Imperial Trellis pillow cover in citrine from Spark Modern to bring that out.  I tend to get stuck in dual color combos like gray and white or pink and green so I'm going to try really hard to get out of my comfort zone and pull several colors out in this space.
 I've hung panels on the windows but I need to still add drapery hardware and trim.  Again, I'm going to see where the room takes me but I'm thinking this would be a good place to pop in some coral.
You can view the final results of my first One Room Challenge here
And if you're new here, click on the links below to get all caught up.


And as always, be sure to check out the other lovelies participating in this series.  I promise they don't disappoint.

40 comments:

  1. Love the white bedding- you can never go wrong with that! The citrine is a fabulous addition. Best of luck Julia! You deserve a soothing and restful retreat!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be the finished version for me. It already looks great. I love white bedding, and it is bleachable so no stress. I am glad you are doing a real version, and not just for Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you read my whole wordy post :)

      Delete
  3. Love love white bedding! And the citrine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like where you're going. And isn't it the truth? For some reason I don't want to waste my pretty things and spend money on stuff for the master. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love where your room is headed. Our master bedroom is at the bottom of our list of things to do- such a shame. We are going to implement a few changes hopefully soon. And I agree, my nightstand is full of everything but pretty things these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Julia - that would be just about my finished space, too! LOVE those frames on the prints, and the chartreuse is going to be gorgeous! `

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bedding (I'm a huge fan of white bedding), and I love that pop of citrine on the bed. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that citrine pillow looks fab against your new wall color. And adding coral in there, amazing! Love where this is going sister!! You've made such great progress already!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the citrine with the wall color! They look fantastic together. Also the Audubon prints! I have white bedding and 3 munchkins and my favorite thing about white is it's bleachability. My duvet is at least 10 years old and still looks new after a good soak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how do you bleach it? Warm water soak first or just pour some in the laundry cycle?

      Delete
  10. I love that you are doing the "real life" version. It's comforting to see a lovely space you could actually live in and not just look at!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you chose the Master! I can't wait to see your ideas come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the dark, moody color in a MBR. It's like a cocoon and the way you are heading will add a bit of spice and fun to an otherwise cozy space. So fun to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the direction you are going- and that KW trellis throw pillow is too good!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colors and the white bedding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the direction it's headed! Your bedside table sounds like mine, I wish it could be pretty all the time but it really needs to be functional

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where is your bedding from? I love the white.. looks luxurious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Here's the post where I shared all my sources and I'll be sure to add a link back into the post now too.

      http://pawleysislandposh.blogspot.com/2013/01/pottery-barn-essentials-white-bedding.html

      Delete
  17. great job so far! boy doesnt all white bedding just give you an instant renewed sense of things, too?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you decided to do your master. A little retreat for y'all! Can't wait to see what you do this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So fun to watch this evolve!! Love everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the direction this is going! I feel your pain on the whole kleenex and other necessary but unpretty stuff on nightstands. Alarm clocks kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love where this is going! Great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Julia, you've done so much already! IT's looking great and I can't wait to see your progress next week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks pretty friggin awesome already- I cant imagine it gets better than this :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that chest of drawers darling, they're stunning!

    Eda x

    www.candyflosscurlscupcakesandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just want to crawl into your white bedding and nest. Love the walls and the citrine accents. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the detail on flat sheet . Adore the tortoise on frames. Imperial trellis ... Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm on board with the moody walls and white bedding. Yum. Carry on - this is going to be great!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love where this is going.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I try to be different ... but always come back to white bedding ... so clean and crisp. Can't wait to see what color you decide on for your monogram!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous wall color. I love white bedding, too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well I thought it looked good before but I am already liking the changes! Work it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ooo just love those prints!! I need to research them now.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love all white bedding against the dark walls, but I can appreciate the organic way you are letting it evolve!! so far you have some great elements going on. Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  34. I always love what you do - looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the color you are working with....and those pillows in your inspiration board

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm excited to see what you do with this! Based on your vision for the room, it seems like you are doing a great job with masculine- feminine balance!

    I know this is going to be a struggle for B and I down the road- one night when I mentioned the frame Robert E. Lee picture would go he seemed flabbergasted I would even suggest such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Loving this one room challenge as I just moved and need to get some motivation to finish decorating and unpacking it all.

    I am dying to know where the nightstands/chest of drawers in your original inspiration are from. I seem to be in the majority here searching for something similar! (And oddly enough I am now also considering a skirted table! ;) Hahaha!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!